Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think it's less about being relatable and more about limiting Odin's involvement in the story. He's more powerful than Thor by a large margin.

Really, instead of killing him, they should just limit his power to Asgard. All the Odin power has to keep Asgard in one piece or something
    They should've just kept him and Cul playing chess with each other instead of coming back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Maybe they just all need to go on Maury and hash this out once and for all.

No one but Aaron cared about Odin thirsting for the Phoenix, which was weird and gross, kind of makes him more like Zeus than anything else.
    Yeah, this whole thing of Aaron's with Odin and his love for the Phoenix and apparently cheating on Freyja just...was not something I think anyone cared to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They should've just kept him and Cul playing chess with each other instead of coming back.

Yeah, this whole thing of Aaron's with Odin and his love for the Phoenix and apparently cheating on Freyja just...was not something I think anyone cared to see.

Aaron basically turned Thor into Hercules, even right down to making him a Demigod, except instead of being 1/2 human, Thor's 1/4 human and 1/4 whatever the phoenix is or 1/2 whatever the phoenix is, I'm not sure, Aaron probably isn't either. He doesn't even have psychic or fire powers. Cates has undone some of that, but he's still a little too much like Herc for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Aaron basically turned Thor into Hercules, even right down to making him a Demigod, except instead of being 1/2 human, Thor's 1/4 human and 1/4 whatever the phoenix is or 1/2 whatever the phoenix is, I'm not sure, Aaron probably isn't either. He doesn't even have psychic or fire powers. Cates has undone some of that, but he's still a little too much like Herc for my liking.
    I really wonder if Aaron thought through how the retcon reduces Thor's godhood, but considering how much he made Thor hate his own godhood, it doesn't surprise me.

I feel like people who don't really "get" Thor just default to writing him more like Hercules, either in the comics or movies. Probably because Hercules is less serious.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galan View Post
    Cates has continued Aaron's Thor and Odin characterizations.

Cates Thor run is clearly Aaron 2.0 -- the ONLY difference is that Cates throws a few [poorly done] power fantasy bones to keep the fanboys a littler happier than they were with Aaron. Smart business, but Cates Thor run makes it clear than he is a fan of Aaron's work.

Nothing he has done has even begun to refute his statement that he loves Aaron's work
    You and I are clearly reading different Thor books.

Aaron's Thor was emotionally and physically reliant on his hammer. To a degree that went miles beyond flanderization.

Cates' Thor, very much not so. He's kept his wits about him as it's malfunctioned, he surrendered it with impressively little fanfare to Cap, and was kind enough to let a random mortal have some fun with it, and tolerant enough to allow Tony to smack him with it.

In that same issue? Cates said and demonstrated that Thor's power was in him, not the hammer.

Cates' Thor is a 'Speak softly but carry a big stick' kind of guy. If Cates' plotting were as good as his voice for Thor, this series would be perfect.

The first issue, he wiped away Aaron's battle scarred Thor. He's actively demonstrated that Thor's power is in him, not the hammer, and just this issue, his birth mother was confirmed. So yeah, Aaron, he ain't

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really wonder if Aaron thought through how the retcon reduces Thor's godhood, but considering how much he made Thor hate his own godhood, it doesn't surprise me.

I feel like people who don't really "get" Thor just default to writing him more like Hercules, either in the comics or movies. Probably because Hercules is less serious.
    Reducing Thor is what Aaron likes to do, so probably

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You and I are clearly reading different Thor books.

Aaron's Thor was emotionally and physically reliant on his hammer. To a degree that went miles beyond flanderization.

Cates' Thor, very much not so. He's kept his wits about him as it's malfunctioned, he surrendered it with impressively little fanfare to Cap, and was kind enough to let a random mortal have some fun with it, and tolerant enough to allow Tony to smack him with it.

In that same issue? Cates said and demonstrated that Thor's power was in him, not the hammer.

Cates' Thor is a 'Speak softly but carry a big stick' kind of guy. If Cates' plotting were as good as his voice for Thor, this series would be perfect.

The first issue, he wiped away Aaron's battle scarred Thor. He's actively demonstrated that Thor's power is in him, not the hammer, and just this issue, his birth mother was confirmed. So yeah, Aaron, he ain't
    Holy shit! Flanderization was not a word on my radar, well done.
    “We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace and the norms and notions of what just is, isn’t always justice.”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Holy shit! Flanderization was not a word on my radar, well done.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...Flanderization

In case you need it define. But beware the time consuming powers of the site!

Extraordinary Member

Where has Thunderstrike been for some of these big Thor "Odin needs to be punished" storylines?

Don Blake goes after pretty much everyone Odin/Thor related...except Kevin. Same with this current story trying to stop Mjolnir personified.

So many stories that tear down these big, wise old figures like Odin or the Oan Guardians in DC make me think these later generation authors have some serious issues with their Boomer parents they're working through. XD

Hey. Can anyone tell me if Tony Stark was in this weeks issue? I saw he was on the cover.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Hey. Can anyone tell me if Tony Stark was in this weeks issue? I saw he was on the cover.
    He's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    He's in it.
    Thanks. It’s greatly appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

So many stories that tear down these big, wise old figures like Odin or the Oan Guardians in DC make me think these later generation authors have some serious issues with their Boomer parents they're working through. XD
    Donny Cates does.

A lot of his work has that as a recurring theme.

Ultimate Member

Defying authority is what protagonists do.

"Follow the rules!"

"Okay!"

Not the most thrilling story telling

Which is not to say it's not been overdone. Making it so Odin, the Guardians, etc can ONLY be wrong gets pretty old.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Donny Cates does.

A lot of his work has that as a recurring theme.
    Definitely an Aaron thing too. I can't count the amount of abusive and terrible father figures that have popped up in his runs for the protagonists to overcome.