Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Oh man. It really is like an off-key cover of Eruption is going off in Cates's head.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I have to believe Thor is just stuck in limbo until marvel can catch up as a whole. I think the worst thing about this book is the overall story sucks but the actual writing in the book is good i just don't see the point of the story though.
    It feels like the impact Aaron had on the book is still being felt until someone feels like doing a dramatically different take. I'm not saying Cates writes like Aaron but he's still hitting too many of the same beats.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This current arc is just....weird.

It's like Cates took a line from Thor Ragnarok and ran with it.

I'm also don't understand why Thor is so angry at Odin. I really don't get it. I've followed Cates work for a while now and I know that father/son relationships are a theme in most of his work (it even extended to Venom where he gave Eddie Brock a son) but the Thor/Odin thing is a little confusing.
    He reallllyyyy loved that joke

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels like the impact Aaron had on the book is still being felt until someone feels like doing a dramatically different take. I'm not saying Cates writes like Aaron but he's still hitting too many of the same beats.
    Same beats, but very different direction with the intent of building Thor's mythos, not tearing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Same beats, but very different direction with the intent of building Thor's mythos, not tearing it down.
    Seems more like just spinning wheels to me.

Maybe they're trying to give him a weapon like the movie version has.

Mighty Member

I'm currently doing a reading order for Thor. I also wanted to follow the spinoff characters/groups too. As far as the groups go, in Asgard, the two main groups that Thor is connected to would be the Asgardians and the Valkyrie right?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm currently doing a reading order for Thor. I also wanted to follow the spinoff characters/groups too. As far as the groups go, in Asgard, the two main groups that Thor is connected to would be the Asgardians and the Valkyrie right?
    I would say Asgardians and the Warriors Three.

saw some image of Mjolnir, who looks feminine(?), while holding itself somehow+God of Hammers being an actual myth or something.

glad I dropped this long time ago.

btw, Happy New Year and Christmas guys/girl!!!

a bit late, Ik

Aaron was better at it IMHO

Cates is discount Aaron.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Aaron was better at it IMHO

Cates is discount Aaron.
    Well, he in so much as he was the first but he's the reason we're tired of Thor/Odin drama and constantly focusing on hammers .

Well, he in so much as he was the first but he's the reason we're tired of Thor/Odin drama and constantly focusing on hammers .
    That is what makes it worse.

Dudes just doubling down on a concept that was just used for 4? years.

Completely unoriginal at this point. At least Aaron thought of the idea himself lol

And I still think Aaron's idea was ok just went on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaay too long

(and at least Aaron wrote Gorr)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I've been enjoying his run overall, especially loved Prey, but this arc feels a bit weird to me as well. It's not "bad" but it's just a bit underwhelming. I was digging the latest issue until the end. Again, it's not something where I was like, "Wow that sucked" it was more just like..."oh."

Ultimate Member

Perhaps on a marcro scale, but he's done away with a lot of Aaron's signature themes.

He's demonstrated in no uncertain terms that Thor's power rests in him, not his hammer. He wiped away Aaron's look in the first issue, and throughout this arc, we've seen it demonstrated that Thor's confidence isn't tied to his ability to lift his hammer. He surrendered it willingly, something Aaron Thor could never do.

Aaron basically regressed Thor to a Hercules character so that he might relearn humility.

Cates' Thor is a king, who speaks softly but carries a big stick.

Don't get me wrong, his stories ain't great. But Cates has Thor's character down solid, and I'd put good money on him undoing the whole 'motherstorm' that Aaron shoehorned into the hammer in this arc.

It would be fun to find a creative team that could tackle a Thor/Asgard mythos from the perspective of a space-god and not a human, trying to inject humanism into a story about magical beings.

The Asgardians, and especially the Odin/Thor family tree need a more regal injection into their characterization and to stop being presented as "any other family with issues." There are plenty of "accessible" human characters to be able to fill that void.