Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thorson-98 View Post
    What did you guys think about the first "Banner of War" issue ?
    Marvel Thor is probably one of the weakest depictions of a god in fiction.

That's besides the fact he has the Odin force and he can't even use it against the Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Marvel Thor is probably one of the weakest depictions of a god in fiction.

That's besides the fact he has the Odin force and he can't even use it against the Hulk
    Pretty much this. He has the Odin force and resorts to

spoilers:
    relying on Odin popping up out of the hammer?
    end of spoilers

I mean seriously?

Why??
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Pretty much this. He has the Odin force and resorts to

spoilers:
    relying on Odin popping up out of the hammer?
    end of spoilers

I mean seriously?

Why??
    It’s just bizarre and doesn’t make any sense.

We just saw Thor use the OF to destroy the God of Hammers but for some reason he’s not even using it against the Hulk.

It’s just bizarre and doesn’t make any sense.

We just saw Thor use the OF to destroy the God of Hammers but for some reason he’s not even using it against the Hulk.
    Odin himself is a guy whose collateral results in this...

Fight with Seth...

Yeah...I was worried this was going to happen.

The funny thing is...Cates went on and on about what a knock down drag out this was going to be. So far...I've seen better Thor/Hulk fights.
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-11-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Wonky powerlevels in a Donny Cates comic? What a surprise .

Hulk is as strong or stronger than Thor, Odin, Vili and Ve put together.

amazing.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-12-2022 at 04:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

Everyone has gotten some sort of power-up except Thor. In fact, the character seems explicitly weaker than before. This is what happens when “fan-boyism” starts to trump common sense and continuity.

As another poster pointed out, it all started with Heroes Reborn which for the first time showed Hulk flat out overpower Thor. Then we had the Red Hulk fiasco and Hulk vs Thor animated movie and it’s been downhill since then. Let the Battle Begin probably had the worst Thor vs Hulk fight I’ve ever seen.

What kind of god of thunder gets his skull fractured by the Immortal Hulk? He got beat up by “the Totally Awesome Hulk, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Bendis’ Avengers Assemble, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Hickman’s Avengers (the later two were surprise attacks but the results were the same), Namor has gotten a power-up and almost crushed his new not-mjolnir hammer and even Jane Thor got manhandled (or woman-handled) by She-Hulk.

It’s a marked contrast to how these characters were depicted before. They always fought as equals and there was a time that Thor didn’t need mjolnir to go toe to toe with the Hulk. Writers back then actually understood that as strong as the Hulk is, Thor is a god that in Norse Mythology wrestles a snake around the size of the Earth and actually lifting said snake (which he almost did) would affect the entire universe. That’s beside the fact that he has a number of other abilities that means he doesn’t need to engage Hulk in a fist fight. I mentioned it earlier that even in film I.e Thor Ragnarok, once Thor discovered he didn’t need Mjolnir to channel lightning, the fight had to be rigged because Hulk would struggle to put down a superstrong god spamming lightning attacks.

It’d be one thing if Hulk and Thor were trading wins over each other but that isn’t the case. What happens now is that the Hulk flat out overpowers him and they even mentioned it in Banner of War that the Hulk has beaten Thor before. I really don’t even see the point of the series and the whole tag line about who would actually win when Hulk has been dominating Thor in recent years.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Odin was already an arrogant prick when he was brought back under Gillen iirc.

I said this before and I'll say it again, Odin's send off during Dan Jurgens run was great and he should have stayed dead.
    It IS striking how different Odin's funerals are portrayed between Thor #41 & #750.

In 20 years, Odin went from revered, respected and beloved figure to "old bastard".
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Everyone has gotten some sort of power-up except Thor. In fact, the character seems explicitly weaker than before. This is what happens when “fan-boyism” starts to trump common sense and continuity.

As another poster pointed out, it all started with Heroes Reborn which for the first time showed Hulk flat out overpower Thor. Then we had the Red Hulk fiasco and Hulk vs Thor animated movie and it’s been downhill since then. Let the Battle Begin probably had the worst Thor vs Hulk fight I’ve ever seen.

What kind of god of thunder gets his skull fractured by the Immortal Hulk? He got beat up by “the Totally Awesome Hulk, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Bendis’ Avengers Assemble, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Hickman’s Avengers (the later two were surprise attacks but the results were the same), Namor has gotten a power-up and almost crushed his new not-mjolnir hammer and even Jane Thor got manhandled (or woman-handled) by She-Hulk.

It’s a marked contrast to how these characters were depicted before. They always fought as equals and there was a time that Thor didn’t need mjolnir to go toe to toe with the Hulk. Writers back then actually understood that as strong as the Hulk is, Thor is a god that in Norse Mythology wrestles a snake around the size of the Earth and actually lifting said snake (which he almost did) would affect the entire universe. That’s beside the fact that he has a number of other abilities that means he doesn’t need to engage Hulk in a fist fight. I mentioned it earlier that even in film I.e Thor Ragnarok, once Thor discovered he didn’t need Mjolnir to channel lightning, the fight had to be rigged because Hulk would struggle to put down a superstrong god spamming lightning attacks.

It’d be one thing if Hulk and Thor were trading wins over each other but that isn’t the case. What happens now is that the Hulk flat out overpowers him and they even mentioned it in Banner of War that the Hulk has beaten Thor before. I really don’t even see the point of the series and the whole tag line about who would actually win when Hulk has been dominating Thor in recent years.
    Thor also got beaten up by a phoenix possessed Emma Frost, which in hindsight is child abuse now. He's been worfed for so long it's become a lazy go-to tactic, "We need to show how powerful this character is, let have them beat the tar of Thor!"
    Even if the Hulk is stronger, Thor's spent hundreds of years fighting trolls, giants, dragons and other gods. I'm not saying that he should be invincible, but that should factor in somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Thor also got beaten up by a phoenix possessed Emma Frost, which in hindsight is child abuse now. He's been worfed for so long it's become a lazy go-to tactic, "We need to show how powerful this character is, let have them beat the tar of Thor!"
    Even if the Hulk is stronger, Thor's spent hundreds of years fighting trolls, giants, dragons and other gods. I'm not saying that he should be invincible, but that should factor in somewhat.
    Odin and Phoenix have something in common now considering Odin is written as a bad and abusive father

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

Every now and then we should at least see some of Thor's other abilities and fighting acumen.

He constantly fights Hulk like a caveman with a club and in recent times he sometimes gets outsmarted by Hulks.

I don't have any problem with the Hulk being marginally stronger than Thor (strength is the Hulk's thing) but both characters should exert themselves to the fullest when they fight.

Is Cates writing a Saturday Morning Cartoon or...

Exactly.

Every now and then we should at least see some of Thor's other abilities and fighting acumen.

He constantly fights Hulk like a caveman with a club and in recent times he sometimes gets outsmarted by Hulks.

I don't have any problem with the Hulk being marginally stronger than Thor (strength is the Hulk's thing) but both characters should exert themselves to the fullest when they fight.
    All I know is, If Thor gets beaten up by Kingpin or some other "peak human but doesn't technically have superpowers" character. I'm going to rip my hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Cates writing a Saturday Morning Cartoon or...
    It is like a saturday morning cartoon, but it's joyless, designed by a committee of cynical ad execs that think kids are stupid. The celestial armor does look cool, but I'm guessing it's only there so that the Titan Hulk can smash it.

All I know is, If Thor gets beaten up by Kingpin or some other "peak human but doesn't technically have superpowers" character. I'm going to rip my hair out.
    On a list of things Jason Aaron could believably write .