Page 40 of 92 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On a list of things Jason Aaron could believably write .
    Well he did have Odin getting wrecked by few Dark Elf assassin's, the same ones who Jane (without her powers) was fighting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Everyone has gotten some sort of power-up except Thor. In fact, the character seems explicitly weaker than before. This is what happens when “fan-boyism” starts to trump common sense and continuity.

As another poster pointed out, it all started with Heroes Reborn which for the first time showed Hulk flat out overpower Thor.
    IIRC, DeFalco back in the day flat out declared, "Hulk is stronger, Thor more powerful...". This was a departure from Stan's vision who flat out stated that Hulk's base line was not on par with Thor until he was enraged. But we never see, "Thor is more powerful...", just Thor getting stomped on.

Then we had the Red Hulk fiasco and Hulk vs Thor animated movie and it’s been downhill since then. Let the Battle Begin probably had the worst Thor vs Hulk fight I’ve ever seen.
    Was that the same one where Wolverine fought Hulk and had a better showing than Thor did? Yeah, Let The Battle Begin was pretty awful...

What kind of god of thunder gets his skull fractured by the Immortal Hulk? He got beat up by “the Totally Awesome Hulk, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Bendis’ Avengers Assemble, he got knocked out by the Hulk in Hickman’s Avengers (the later two were surprise attacks but the results were the same), Namor has gotten a power-up and almost crushed his new not-mjolnir hammer and even Jane Thor got manhandled (or woman-handled) by She-Hulk.
    Yeah, again. That was the point of Stan creating Thor in the first place. He was actually looking to create a character "...stronger than the Hulk..." (Origins of Marvel Comics, by Stan Lee). Oddly, when the JLA/Avengers crossover came out and pitted DC's top dog against Marvel's top dog...Marvel got that part right. Just not the subsequent trashing...

It’s a marked contrast to how these characters were depicted before. They always fought as equals and there was a time that Thor didn’t need mjolnir to go toe to toe with the Hulk. Writers back then actually understood that as strong as the Hulk is, Thor is a god that in Norse Mythology wrestles a snake around the size of the Earth and actually lifting said snake (which he almost did) would affect the entire universe. That’s beside the fact that he has a number of other abilities that means he doesn’t need to engage Hulk in a fist fight. I mentioned it earlier that even in film I.e Thor Ragnarok, once Thor discovered he didn’t need Mjolnir to channel lightning, the fight had to be rigged because Hulk would struggle to put down a superstrong god spamming lightning attacks.

It’d be one thing if Hulk and Thor were trading wins over each other but that isn’t the case. What happens now is that the Hulk flat out overpowers him and they even mentioned it in Banner of War that the Hulk has beaten Thor before. I really don’t even see the point of the series and the whole tag line about who would actually win when Hulk has been dominating Thor in recent years.
    Agreed. Writer's never take into account the thousands of years of experience Thor has had in combat. They don't into account that even if he was not as strong as Hulk, he is supposed to be more powerful.

And this latest showing where spoilers:
    Odin appears to be negotiating with Banner
    end of spoilers...just...wow.

Ahm. Like I say, dude has the Odin force now.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Surprised people are paying money for this childish stuff, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Surprised people are paying money for this childish stuff, lol.
    The irony in this is children don't have money and don't create content since they can't read or write, well up to a point, so adults actually create and decide what is "childish"
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1525074175643328520

not sure if this worth much but at least he considers Odin and Thor somewhat powerful

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1525074175643328520

not sure if this worth much but at least he considers Odin and Thor somewhat powerful
    He’s even aware of the power scaling. Which is interesting to say the least.

he is aware of it but he hates it to the core.

few months ago, he said the writers decide who wins based on how plot goes (fo ex if plot demands for Spider-Man to beat Thor then he will) and not because of power scaling.

not in those words but that's basically what he meant.

I mean, doesn't character consistency and actual on-panel feats matter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Thor also got beaten up by a phoenix possessed Emma Frost, which in hindsight is child abuse now. He's been worfed for so long it's become a lazy go-to tactic, "We need to show how powerful this character is, let have them beat the tar of Thor!"
    Even if the Hulk is stronger, Thor's spent hundreds of years fighting trolls, giants, dragons and other gods. I'm not saying that he should be invincible, but that should factor in somewhat.
    Not that I'm defending Thor being jobbed, but considering how strong Phoenix may be, losing to someone being powered by the Phoenix isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they should at least make it clear he's the hardest to take down, or among the hardest, which I doubt it happened there 'cause AvX lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Every now and then we should at least see some of Thor's other abilities and fighting acumen.

He constantly fights Hulk like a caveman with a club and in recent times he sometimes gets outsmarted by Hulks.

I don't have any problem with the Hulk being marginally stronger than Thor (strength is the Hulk's thing) but both characters should exert themselves to the fullest when they fight.
    Yeah, honestly I think this is a Superman vs Flash situation, in which since the character who has a specific gimmick as their power, then that character with the gimmick should have it be better, so I think it's fine for Flash to be faster than Superman and Hulk stronger than Thor, but Marvel's problem is how they forget that Thor has a ridiculously flexible power-set on top of knowing how to be creative with it, so now he's just a drunk man with a hammer, eh...

All I know is, If Thor gets beaten up by Kingpin or some other "peak human but doesn't technically have superpowers" character. I'm going to rip my hair out.
    Hope you're planning to shave your head soon then .

On a list of things Jason Aaron could believably write .
    On a similar question that I asked months ago about Arrowverse Flash vs Slott's Spidey, who do you think would win? Slott's Spidey or Aaron's Odinson? Or who do you think would lose faster? .

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    IIRC, DeFalco back in the day flat out declared, "Hulk is stronger, Thor more powerful...". This was a departure from Stan's vision who flat out stated that Hulk's base line was not on par with Thor until he was enraged. But we never see, "Thor is more powerful...", just Thor getting stomped on.
    Thor#391 is written by DeFalco and Thor talks like falling from a big building height could potentially kill him, and he struggled to lift a building in the same story, DeFalco's definitely someone who nerfs Thor's strength lol.

Yeah, again. That was the point of Stan creating Thor in the first place. He was actually looking to create a character "...stronger than the Hulk..." (Origins of Marvel Comics, by Stan Lee).
    To be fair even Stan Lee himself changed his mind about this more or less, he wrote Thor#385, which had Thor winning with Mjolnir, but losing without it (It did take a long time for him to lose though), and even when he did have Mjolnir, Thor forgot about all of his powers and just kept hammering Hulk, he was winning but was still fighting like a simple brute with a hammer instead of using the many powers he has

Plus Thor was originally supposed to be smarter than Reed, and while he did make some absurdly advanced stuff at times (Such as an almost invincible super robot), that one was forgotten after a while, which's good 'cause while I don't think Thor should be stupid, that was too smart lol.

Oddly, when the JLA/Avengers crossover came out and pitted DC's top dog against Marvel's top dog...Marvel got that part right. Just not the subsequent trashing...
    Super at least says that it was a seriously tough match (He says it's the toughest, but uh, no, he got killed by Doomsday lol), but yeah, it'd be more surprising if Thor won, Supes is really popular and strong after all lol.

he is aware of it but he hates it to the core.

few months ago, he said the writers decide who wins based on how plot goes (fo ex if plot demands for Spider-Man to beat Thor then he will) and not because of power scaling.

not in those words but that's basically what he meant.
    That's a terrible mentality to have, while yes, we can have writers deciding who wins on a whim, that doesn't make it right, or an indication of good writing, someone else fucking up doesn't excuse everyone else fucking up.

Yeah... If there's no consistency in the stuff a character does, then them managing to do something difficult means nothing.

I mean ****, speaking of Spider-Man, he defeated Firelord once, that was a terrible victory, since even Firelord with about half strength would be strong enough to not even care that much about Spidey attacking him, much less lose just because Spidey hit him a lot lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

That's a terrible mentality to have, while yes, we can have writers deciding who wins on a whim, that doesn't make it right, or an indication of good writing, someone else fucking up doesn't excuse everyone else fucking up.
    reminds me of what Hiro Mashima, author of Fairy Tail, said around 2 years ago

needless to say, the fights in his manga are below average and make no sense.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-14-2022 at 07:58 AM.

reminds me of that Hiro Mashima, author of Fairy Tail, said around 2 years ago

needless to say, the fights in his manga are below average and make no sense.
    I guess I kind of get it, but I feel like he used to put more effort into it...

I guess I kind of get it, but I feel like he used to put more effort into it...
    true xd...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not that I'm defending Thor being jobbed, but considering how strong Phoenix may be, losing to someone being powered by the Phoenix isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they should at least make it clear he's the hardest to take down, or among the hardest, which I doubt it happened there 'cause AvX lol.
    I would have been okay with it if it were a psychic battle on the astral plane or something like that, but no, Thor lost a fistfight to a phoenix empowered diamond form Emma Frost after he shattered her and reformed herself after she rained down on him as shards. She kept making all these sexually charged comments towards him, cause Emma gotta Emma, but after the retcon, makes it borderline Oedipal.

I would have been okay with it if it were a psychic battle on the astral plane or something like that, but no, Thor lost a fistfight to a phoenix empowered diamond form Emma Frost after he shattered her and reformed herself after she rained down on him as shards. She kept making all these sexually charged comments towards him, cause Emma gotta Emma, but after the retcon, makes it borderline Oedipal.
    not gonna lie, Emma roasting him was hilarious.

what makes that lost even worse is the fact that Emma didn't even had the full power of the Phoenix.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-14-2022 at 08:52 AM.

I don't remember this, but I wish I did .