Page 66 of 92 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

It seems like the same issues people have with Thor 4 are the same I had with Thor: Ragnarok. Using excessive humor in what should be an adaptation of a serious, dramatic story. Thor 3 was a worse misstep, IMO, because it ruined 3 stories (Surtur Saga, Ragnarok, and Planet Hulk) rather than Thor 4 doing a bad adaptation of Aaron's rehash of Dan Jurgens' Desak story.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    It seems like the same issues people have with Thor 4 are the same I had with Thor: Ragnarok. Using excessive humor in what should be an adaptation of a serious, dramatic story. Thor 3 was a worse misstep, IMO, because it ruined 3 stories (Surtur Saga, Ragnarok, and Planet Hulk) rather than Thor 4 doing a bad adaptation of Aaron's rehash of Dan Jurgens' Desak story.
    I sometimes wonder if there's anything the MCU won't inject unnecessary jokes into...I guess Black Panther and the main plot of Eternals.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I sometimes wonder if there's anything the MCU won't inject unnecessary jokes into...I guess Black Panther and the main plot of Eternals.
    A consequence of Joss Whedon's directing of the Avengers films as he injected a lot of his signature quip-based humor. And so as the MCU got more and more successful, they started playing into what they saw as their positives.

Remember that Ragnarok was critically acclaimed and massively successful precisely because it was a fun movie that largely didn't take itself seriously. Love and Thunder going further on that is the logical conclusion especially when you take into Watiti's signature style of filmmaking including heavy usage of bathos.

They'll only turn course if an upcoming movie does badly or not well. Otherwise they'll most likely keep upping the comedy until the MCU becomes Batman and Robin.

spoilers:
    obese zeus flipping his skirt like a little girl is SNL material …. I could hardly take anything seriously at that point… they jumped the shark, the movie is borderline if not outright parody at 80%
    end of spoilers
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Thor: Love & Thunder earns B+ Cinemascore. - Reddit
    ThunderBird847 2 hours ago quote
    Source - https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/stat...OsP2MHpgA&s=19
    Check out the comments below.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi...b_cinemascore/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Rereading my Ultimates collection, how do ya feel on Ultimate Thor and Mjiolnir's looks looking back?

Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 07-09-2022 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Just saw Thor Love and Thunder, and enjoyed the movie, but not the theater experience (thanks to ********* with his tablet). The movie was a bit of a mixed bag, for reasons people have already mentioned -- not so seamless mix of humor and seriousness. Hemsworth looked fabulous but the character is so much different from his first appearance. Bale was great. Guardians were wasted, but they were amusing, as always.

And goats. LOL!

I was wondering about the last caption, saying Thor will return. I thought this was Hemsworth's last appearance. Unless they are talking about Jane Thor?

I was disappointed with Crowe's choice of accents for Zeus.
    I think they were pretty clear they didn't intend to replace Thor with Jane.
    Yeah, spoilers:
    Jane ends up in Valhalla. The cancer actually kills her, unlike in the comics. So when they say Thor Will Return, they definitely mean Odinson.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Only people who actually belived Chris was done were the anti woke MSHEU crowd.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    ThunderBird847 2 hours ago quote
    Source - https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/stat...OsP2MHpgA&s=19
    Check out the comments below.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi...b_cinemascore/
    That’s an “ooof”.

Most Marvel movies have gotten an A cinemascore.

A number of phase 4 movies have gotten the B cinemascore. But for Thor 4, I’m not surprised, the movie does not look serious (I haven’t seen it yet and I’m not really in a hurry to).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That’s an “ooof”.

Most Marvel movies have gotten an A cinemascore.

A number of phase 4 movies have gotten the B cinemascore. But for Thor 4, I’m not surprised, the movie does not look serious (I haven’t seen it yet and I’m not really in a hurry to).
    I honestly thought the emphasis on comedy and doubling-down on the same stuff as Ragnarok would work in the movies favor, because people have been eating that stuff up in Marvel Movies, but I guess there can always be too much of something.

I honestly thought the emphasis on comedy and doubling-down on the same stuff as Ragnarok would work in the movies favor, because people have been eating that stuff up in Marvel Movies, but I guess there can always be too much of something.
    People are turning out

Taika Cut Hemsworth compared the “four-hour cut” to that of “a Monty Python sketch”

"director's cuts aren't good" and that "[there are usually] a lot of tea breaks:" “I've been thinking about director's cuts. I see director's cuts from many other directors. They stink. The director's cuts are not good. Directors need to be controlled sometimes, and if I was like, 'ah, do you want to see my director's cut? It's four and a half hours long! Not good, at four and a half hours. There are plenty of tea breaks there, you don't even have to pause it."

what would your version of Love and Thunder be like? He noted that "there [would] probably be a few more jokes in there" and that he feels "a scene was cut because it's not good enough to be in the movie:" “I would say my cut would probably have a few more jokes in there. There may be a couple of deleted scenes, but as I always say, one scene is deleted because it's not good enough to be in the movie. I think the deleted scenes section on the DVD, not that they use them anymore, should just be a list of the scenes and no links so you can't click on them!

"It was about four hours" and that he "just gives up on the story [about five volumes] and only [has] like 10, 15 minutes of telling jokes:" “It was about four hours. And a lot of time on set... We've talked about this before, like when, at that point, you say, 'This is the best thing anyone's ever shot in the history of shooting things.' And you get in editing. You're like, 'I still like him.' And then after about six months of being in the movie, you realize it was fun that day, but it has nothing to do with being in the movie... Really, about five times, he just gives up on the story and just for 10, 15 minutes of telling jokes… It's more of an assembly [than a movie].”

Hemsworth compared the "four-hour cut" to that of "a Monty Python sketch" and that he "wouldn't call it a movie" at all: "[It was] the craziest, wildest four-hour cut I've ever seen in my life." … It was about four hours. It was like a Monty Python sketch... I wouldn't call it a movie... the story was sacrificed for jokes. But would the director ever come back and edit a new cut? He joked that "[he doesn't] want to see any of the footage ever [again] in [his] life" because the whole process of cutting the final film was "so exhausting": "I don't know. I don't want to see any of the footage." never again in my life, but like... It's so exhausting. The last thing I want to say is, 'I think I have to try that scene again.' The movie has a strong structure now. Anything else we put as a big and long scene like... like a group of soldiers going to have dinner with some French people on a river, you know? If we put a big long scene like that, and I feel like [that wouldn't make sense]... I'm sorry ".

https://thedirect.com/article/thor-l...ititi-included

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Gorr felt like Ivan Ooze from that first Power Rangers movie.

At least they tried to explain spoilers:
    how Jane use Mjolnir.
    end of spoilers
    "Cable was right!"