Page 73 of 92 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1378
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Honestly when people praise manga, its not really about the story, its just the action which is mostly with shonen battle manga fans.

Like the Dragon Ball Super manga, it single handily disapproves the entire idea that manga is inherently better than comics because it is irredeemable terrible. The Granolah is a piece of fucking garbage from every single angle, the only thing it has is meaningless action choreography.

Even the worst **** I've read by Bendis and Aaron is better because at least those stories sometimes has something resembling themes, characters, and what not. Dragon Ball Super though, its nothing, worse than nothing.
    A lot of shonen manga is just garbage.

Dragon Ball Super, Fairy Tail and even Seven Deadly Sins (i don't know if it turned around because I dropped it midway) weren't good reads at all. Onepunch Man now has turned into the thing it seemed to parody.

I've pretty much quit reading shonen manga because it's a lot of nonsense. It's constant "limit breaking" and "power escalation" with little rhyme or reason (Dragon Ball Super in particular has become completely nonsensical). As you rightly pointed out, I actually prefer the American superhero comics because they "make sense".

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    A lot of shonen manga is just garbage.

Dragon Ball Super, Fairy Tail and even Seven Deadly Sins (i don't know if it turned around because I dropped it midway) weren't good reads at all. Onepunch Man now has turned into the thing it seemed to parody.

I've pretty much quit reading shonen manga because it's a lot of nonsense. It's constant "limit breaking" and "power escalation" with little rhyme or reason (Dragon Ball Super in particular has become completely nonsensical). As you rightly pointed out, I actually prefer the American superhero comics because they "make sense".
    Sins did not get better, indeed it just kept getting worse and worse.

Yeah shonen tends to be poorly written, Hell Black Clover gets on by entirely on pretty art and decently well choreographed fight scenes but otherwise it doesn't have anything else to go for it. I at least appreciate comics for focusing more on the character stuff, battle manga can get way too wrapped up in nonstop battles and escalation at the expense of stories and characters.

There are plenty of good manga of course, you just have to go outside the typical battle manga wheelbarrow and you'll find stuff like the adorably sweet rom-com Dress Up Darling or Spy x Family which is a great action comedy.

Which you can say the same for comic books really. There are plenty of great comics to read, you just have to go outside the typical Marvel/DC wheelbarrow and experiance the variety to be found.

Also this whole Phoenix reveal is a rip-off of the game Hades where Zagreus was born stillborn and was revived by Nyx which technically makes him related to him too.

The thing is Nyx actually is his mom. She raised him all his life and was his parental figure.

Here though the Phoenix isn't his mom. Freja actually raised Thor and he's felt the connection/awareness of Gaia all his life. The Phoenix meanwhile only comes back into life literally billions of years after he was born, him growing up completely without any of her involvement.

Thats not a mom, thats just your dads ex-girlfriend that keeps hassling you because she could have been your mom but didn't because he met your actual mom.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with "billions of years"?

Ultimate Member

So over a million years before the creation of genre conventions...

...and Aaron still manages to kill the black guy first. For no damn reason.

Nice

I actually enjoyed a lot of the Shonen Manga you listed .

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Am I the only one who sees a problem with "billions of years"?
    Wait how old is Thor exactly?

The billion BC setting is really throwing me off.

Where was billions of years mentioned? Still think it's one million B.C. If this was in the comic, yeah editorial messed up.

As for the Avengers: One Million B.C. one-shot, well, it was a complex read, but overall......I liked it. Again, I'm always in the minority when it comes to Aaron's Avengers work, but I liked this issue. I read some say that nothing wasn't really added to Thor's origin. I respectfully disagree. I think it was expanded. If you still want to go with Odin and Gaea as the parents, that could still work. But the use of the Phoenix fits in there. For those who like that addition, it works. For those who don't, the previous status quo works as well.

What I really liked was this idea of love, especially Phoenix's love for Earth (which I'll explain in another way below). She still wants to protect the Earth, especially from beings like herself. However, she finds the gods, like Odin, to be too self-absorbed. Yes, Odin has good traits, but he can be selfish and ignorant. Yes, I cringed Odin's portrayal. Drunk, forcing himself on someone else, just concerned with himself. However, such behavior is in line with mythology. Many gods in the original myths were portrayed as greedy, selfish, and domineering. Odin was in line with those themes. Also, this is a million years before he becomes the All-Father. So no, I didn't see this as an insult to Odin.

As for the Phoenix, she definitely loved the Earth, uh in more ways than one. Anyone else get some type of sapphic vibe between Phoenix and Gaea? Yes, Phoenix ultimately convinced Gaea to be with Odin, but there was something going on between them. Lines like "two mothers" or it began with a kiss made me believe that Aaron was going down the path of having Phoenix and Gaea as Thor's parents. He doesn't go in that direction, but he does have the Phoenix be somewhat of a parent with her using her Phoenix force to revive Thor. To me, that showed her love for Thor. Indeed, she saw Earth's hope in him. Tragically, it's unrequited, as Odin quickly distanced Thor from Phoenix. That reminds me of the way some divorced parents act. Or situations where parents don't want the ex-spouse involved in the new family. In those situations, the ones who get hurt are the kids. And we've seen Thor go through a lot of hurt. Quite honestly, I want to have that final scene between Phoenix and Odin. I think either Aaron or Cates is leading up to that.

So yeah, I liked the issue. It was a little messy in terms of relationships and sex, but many mythological tales are messy. I still respect and like Odin as a character. I think that Thor's parentage works with Aaron's Phoenix revelations or without them. Me, I like this former. I like this new connection between Thor and the Phoenix.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-17-2022 at 06:16 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Even if it's 1 million, I think it's too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Where was billions of years mentioned? Still think it's one million B.C. If this was in the comic, yeah editorial messed up.

As for the Avengers: One Million B.C. one-shot, well, it was a complex read, but overall......I liked it. Again, I'm always in the minority when it comes to Aaron's Avengers work, but I liked this issue. I read some say that nothing wasn't really added to Thor's origin. I respectfully disagree. I think it was expanded. If you still want to go with Odin and Gaea as the parents, that could still work. But the use of the Phoenix fits in there. For those who like that addition, it works. For those who don't, the previous status quo works as well.

What I really liked was this idea of love, especially Phoenix's love for Earth (which I'll explain in another way below). She still wants to protect the Earth, especially from beings like herself. However, she finds the gods, like Odin, to be too self-absorbed. Yes, Odin has good traits, but he can be selfish and ignorant. Yes, I cringed Odin's portrayal. Drunk, forcing himself on someone else, just concerned with himself. However, such behavior is in line with mythology. Many gods in the original myths were portrayed as greedy, selfish, and domineering. Odin was in line with those themes. Also, this is a million years before he becomes the All-Father. So no, I didn't see this as an insult to Odin.

As for the Phoenix, she definitely loved the Earth, uh in more ways than one. Anyone else get some type of sapphic vibe between Phoenix and Gaea? Yes, Phoenix ultimately convinced Gaea to be with Odin, but there was something going on between them. Lines like "two mothers" or it began with a kiss made me believe that Aaron was going down the path of having Phoenix and Gaea as Thor's parents. He doesn't go in that direction, but he does have the Phoenix be somewhat of a parent with her using her Phoenix force to revive Thor. To me, that showed her love for Thor. Indeed, she saw Earth's hope in him. Tragically, it's unrequited, as Odin quickly distanced Thor from Phoenix. That reminds me of the way some divorced parents act. Or situations where parents don't want the ex-spouse involved in the new family. In those situations, the ones who get hurt are the kids. And we've seen Thor go through a lot of hurt. Quite honestly, I want to have that final scene between Phoenix and Odin. I think either Aaron or Cates is leading up to that.

So yeah, I liked the issue. It was a little messy in terms of relationships and sex, but many mythological tales are messy. I still respect and like Odin as a character. I think that Thor's parentage works with Aaron's Phoenix revelations or without them. Me, I like this former. I like this new connection between Thor and the Phoenix.
    Isn't the Phoenix itself an uncaring God? Its more of a destructive force of nature and mostly just cares about its hosts than anything else going by its obsession with the Grey family.

Ultimate Member

Isn't the Phoenix itself an uncaring God? Its more of a destructive force of nature and mostly just cares about its hosts than anything else going by its obsession with the Grey family.
    Exactly.

I would say that the Phoenix force has caused more havoc in the Marvel universe than Odin ever has.

As for the writing, the CBR review kind of touched on the issues that a lot of us have raised here https://www.cbr.com/marvel-avengers-...0-bc-1-review/. The whole thing about Thor’s birth is needlessly convoluted and just involves too many retcons.Jason Aaron is bending and breaking continuity to tell his stories and it ultimately affects the output.

Then reading the issue, the whole thing about “the gods not caring” is just partially true. In continuity, Thor and Odin have sacrificed themselves to save the nine realms a number of times (Odin nearly died when he tried to stop the Celestial Fourth Host back in the day). This is just another instance of Aaron’s atheism overtaking the story he’s trying to tell and once again it hurts the output (his Odin doesn’t seem like the kind of god that would sacrifice his eye for wisdom when all he wants is sex and alcohol). Aaron has to continually ignore continuity and it leads to all manner of retcons that don’t really make any sense when matched up to what came before.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Banner of War was good but why did they publish the bar massacre in the Thor issue? gg editorial.

Also this whole Phoenix reveal is a rip-off of the game Hades where Zagreus was born stillborn and was revived by Nyx which technically makes him related to him too.

The thing is Nyx actually is his mom. She raised him all his life and was his parental figure.

Here though the Phoenix isn't his mom. Freja actually raised Thor and he's felt the connection/awareness of Gaia all his life. The Phoenix meanwhile only comes back into life literally billions of years after he was born, him growing up completely without any of her involvement.

Thats not a mom, thats just your dads ex-girlfriend that keeps hassling you because she could have been your mom but didn't because he met your actual mom.
    By J. Aaron's logic, the doctor that took you out your mum is one of your parents too.
    "Cable was right!"

So after reading the whole story yesterday I kept thinking back to that scene in the Phoenix tournament when she had her arms stretched out to him saying "my son" as if he was supposed to remember her and they had some bond or something. I guess being a god makes you remember stuff straight out the womb?

In Aaron's stories, it seems as if the host can exert control over the Phoenix Force. I liken it to when Jean Grey first had the Phoenix Force. She didn't become "Dark Phoenix" until later. IDK, maybe that's what's happening here with the hosts. They exercise a measure of control until the Phoenix completely takes over. In the story, the host for the Phoenix stated how she was a monster. She's aware of what she can do and what the Phoenix can turn into.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I would say that the Phoenix force has caused more havoc in the Marvel universe than Odin ever has.

As for the writing, the CBR review kind of touched on the issues that a lot of us have raised here https://www.cbr.com/marvel-avengers-...0-bc-1-review/. The whole thing about Thor’s birth is needlessly convoluted and just involves too many retcons.Jason Aaron is bending and breaking continuity to tell his stories and it ultimately affects the output.

Then reading the issue, the whole thing about “the gods not caring” is just partially true. In continuity, Thor and Odin have sacrificed themselves to save the nine realms a number of times (Odin nearly died when he tried to stop the Celestial Fourth Host back in the day). This is just another instance of Aaron’s atheism overtaking the story he’s trying to tell and once again it hurts the output (his Odin doesn’t seem like the kind of god that would sacrifice his eye for wisdom when all he wants is sex and alcohol). Aaron has to continually ignore continuity and it leads to all manner of retcons that don’t really make any sense when matched up to what came before.
    I feel a million years can make a difference. Before anything else, I still feel that Odin's depiction isn't too off from previous ones. He's still a hero. He banded together with all of these other heroes to defend the Earth. At this time in his existence though, I think he sees humans as being frail and ephemeral. In the grand cosmic order of things, there is a hierarchy and he is above humans. Over a million years though, his stance has to soften to where he is sending Thor to Earth to be humbled.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

I am happy to see Gaea as Thor’s real mother again, like it was always the case. Now fire Aaron. He’s a horrible writer. I only bought this book to see Gaea as Thor’s mother again.