Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Well one good thing about Thor #22:

spoilers:
    It seems to pretty much kill Aaron’s crappy Phoenixson retcon, Gaea is flat-out stated to be Thor’s birth mother and he once again uses the powers he inherited from her.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Now this was good. This felt more like Cate's earlier issues of thor and honestly taking this as a stand alone issues i did read last issue though, this issue by itself is proably one of the best issues of the run if i think about what i want to see in a thor comic.

my favorite line spoilers:
    All i see are nails.
    end of spoilers I was like damn that's a low blow coming from a hammer. lol

I just want to got damn kiss Reed and Freyja too!
    I bought it but haven't read it yet but hearing this, I just might take an early break to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Well one good thing about Thor #22:

spoilers:
    It seems to pretty much kill Aaron’s crappy Phoenixson retcon, Gaea is flat-out stated to be Thor’s birth mother and he once again uses the powers he inherited from her.
    end of spoilers
    That's good to hear. For whatever other issues I might have with Cates he seems to be flat-out ignoring anything involving Thor in the Avengers books (thankfully).
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I mean it's been nearly what a decade?

I'm sorry my dude this status quo may be locked in forever and once the MCU adapts a modern Aaron story it will be locked in forever.
    Well, a decade of most of the same writer and a writer in-line with said writers' sensibilities. I think we're due from a new take from a fresher writer at some point.

MCU Thor is basically it's own beast at this point so I don't see what adapting that into the MCU will really matter. I guess they'll show off Jane but it's not for certain that they'll even use her the same way Aaron did.

What we've seen of Thor's design in the movie looks pretty decidedly non-Aaron if nothing else.

Incredible Member

Out of curiosity, what does a back to the basic run of Thor look like. Prior to Aarons run I really only read the character in the Avengers team up. To me this book seems like a natural extension of the Thor franchise.

Mythology, gods and big stakes.

What exactly are you all not a fan of? Other than Jane taking over. I understand that part.

What is the modern Thor run that defines the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does a back to the basic run of Thor look like. Prior to Aarons run I really only read the character in the Avengers team up. To me this book seems like a natural extension of the Thor franchise.

What exactly are you all not a fan of? Other than Jane taking over. I understand that part.

I can only speak for myself, but it's mostly the hammer issues, the idea that lifting it just flat out isn't special anymore. Aaron and Cates also have this thing where they put in big flashy moments that look great on splash pages that shout to the reader:

"ISN'T THIS AWESOME, ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!"

"...No, no I'm not." Is the response usually given.

The idea that Thor is nothing without his hammer is not true, but they keep hitting us over the head with it anyway. It's not like Thor, the son of Odin and Gaea, has any innate abilities or hundreds of years of combat experience or anything that would make up for not having it. Nope, nothing of the sort.

Maybe I'm just getting older, or more cynical, but Thor doesn't hit the same way it used to.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 02-16-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Just finished reading issue 22 again. Decent issue, one of the best from Cates for a long time.
    spoilers:
    However, the part when Odin “dies” and transfers the Odinforce to Thor doesn’t make sense because Odin is on the cover of the #750th issue and is also involved in the Thor vs Hulk crossover, as shown in the May solicit. So, I don’t know what Cates trying to do here with Odin. Is this a ruse? Does that mean this isn’t the real Odin or does Thor just fuse his essence with his own to fight the GoH?
    end of spoilers

Also, Cates is having a Thor vs Hulk poll on his Twitter account to determine who will win the fight they are going to have in the crossover. I don’t know if this is genuine and will happen at the end of the crossover, but I just want Thor to actually win a fight against Hulk without any extenuating circumstances. It’s tiresome and annoying to see this continuous trend happen with Thor against Hulk.

Apparently, the voting will close in a couple of hours. If someone on here does have Twitter, can you tell me what the score is at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    Just finished reading issue 22 again. Decent issue, one of the best from Cates for a long time.
    spoilers:
    However, the part when Odin “dies” and transfers the Odinforce to Thor doesn’t make sense because Odin is on the cover of the #750th issue and is also involved in the Thor vs Hulk crossover, as shown in the May solicit. So, I don’t know what Cates trying to do here with Odin. Is this a ruse? Does that mean this isn’t the real Odin or does Thor just fuse his essence with his own to fight the GoH?
    end of spoilers

Also, Cates is having a Thor vs Hulk poll on his Twitter account to determine who will win the fight they are going to have in the crossover. I don’t know if this is genuine and will happen at the end of the crossover, but I just want Thor to actually win a fight against Hulk without any extenuating circumstances. It’s tiresome and annoying to see this continuous trend happen with Thor against Hulk.

Apparently, the voting will close in a couple of hours. If someone on here does have Twitter, can you tell me what the score is at the moment.

Thanks
    he lost last 5 fights against the Hulk... any of the Hulks.

I doubt this will change now.

spoilers:
    so Odin died??? good riddance. no more trashing his character.
    end of spoilers

A character-driven story as opposed to plot-driven. Can only speak for myself but for the majority of Thor's time since they brought him back in 2007 the characterization has been WAY off (with some exceptions). Not just with Thor but even more with Odin and other members of the Asgard mythos.

Some may argue JMS, but I'd say that Dan Jurgens' and Oeming's run(s) were quite definitive and MILES better than modern-day storytelling. Hence why I gave up on comics about 2010-ish.

I want adventuring, heroism, nobility, fantasy, and less navel-gazing, self-doubt, mead-drinking, and family squabbling.

For me JMS was my jam as far as Thor runs go.

Ultimate Member

This issue was pretty good.

A LOT of stuff is starting to make sense now.

And it seems that Cates has flatout retconned or ignored some recent developments with Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're probably going to give Jane a new hammer to tie-in with the movie, but I don't think it'll be as feasible as Sam Wilson.

The God of...no Hammers?
    Curious. If they were to go in this direction, I wonder how long they would have Thor with no special weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Curious. If they were to go in this direction, I wonder how long they would have Thor with no special weapon.
    Maybe until Cates' run ends I guess?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I haven't read a Thor comic in ages, but isn't he supposed to possess the "Odin force" presently? Why would he need help fighting someone around his level?

Seems the only playbook modern writers know is "deconstruction" of a character without the means to rebuild or resuscitate said character.
    Today's issue covered this.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    he lost last 5 fights against the Hulk... any of the Hulks.

I doubt this will change now..

spoilers:
    so Odin died??? good riddance. no more trashing his character.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    he was shown as a more benevolent Odin before he died and said Mjolnn’s tampering and Mangog’s creation were all
    mistakes he made but Thor was his best creation, which I thought was nice.
    end of spoilers

Yeah, the poll wasn’t genuine as I thought. Cates said he wrote the crossover months ago.
    As you have said, I can’t see Thor winning this fight. Marvel will never let Thor beat Hulk.
    So as usual, I think Thor fans will be disappointed with this but not surprised about the outcome

spoilers:
    he was shown as a more benevolent Odin before he died and said Mjolnn’s tampering and Mangog’s creation were all
    end of spoilers

Yeah, the poll wasn’t genuine as I thought. Cates said he wrote the crossover months ago.
    As you have said, I can’t see Thor winning this fight. Marvel will never let Thor beat Hulk.
    So as usual, I think Thor fans will be disappointed with this but not surprised about the outcome
    spoilers:
    So we're finally putting poor Odin to rest? Probably for the best at this point.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    yeah but too little too late.

Idc anymore.
    end of spoilers