Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    That's an interesting take. Throughout Claremont's run when he brought Rachel back in, editorial made it clear to him that Rachel couldn't be Phoenix. So he went out of his way to have her say "I'm not the Phoenix" at every opportunity, but showed she had a connection as a former host through actions and imagery. Almost to remind readers (and editors) that she wasn't the host anymore but it's an important part of her. With the introduction of "End of Greys" and the Death Commando's, Rachel's family is destroyed and she is targeted/branded for being a host. It sends her on a dark path. I saw her reluctance and animosity to the Shi'ar (and in particular Korvus for using a blade that affects hosts) as this overwhelming sense of attack. She didn't know the Blade had an essence or Echo of the PF in it, she just new that she had been attacked several times over the past few months for being the former host. And it made her angry. And it wasn't til the blade forged the connection with her did she realize that Korvus was a pawn and there was part of the Force in the Blade. And it latched onto her.
    What you're describing from Claremont's 2nd chances run for Rachel straight through to Brubaker's character development, really depicts a negative or even abusive relationship between Rachel and the Phoenix. I hear a lot about the Phoenix being family and being 'saved' by it. But there is so much of her pain is a result of that Force too... family dying because of it and all those times the force abandoned her. I guess that's Rachel's raison d'être though... Krakoa's sisyphus.

Fantastic Member

That's an interesting take. Throughout Claremont's run when he brought Rachel back in, editorial made it clear to him that Rachel couldn't be Phoenix. So he went out of his way to have her say "I'm not the Phoenix" at every opportunity, but showed she had a connection as a former host through actions and imagery. Almost to remind readers (and editors) that she wasn't the host anymore but it's an important part of her. With the introduction of "End of Greys" and the Death Commando's, Rachel's family is destroyed and she is targeted/branded for being a host. It sends her on a dark path. I saw her reluctance and animosity to the Shi'ar (and in particular Korvus for using a blade that affects hosts) as this overwhelming sense of attack. She didn't know the Blade had an essence or Echo of the PF in it, she just new that she had been attacked several times over the past few months for being the former host. And it made her angry. And it wasn't til the blade forged the connection with her did she realize that Korvus was a pawn and there was part of the Force in the Blade. And it latched onto her.
    hmmm I didn't think of her associating all of the recent bad things that had happened to her because she had been a Phoenix host. Perhaps that may be true but I don't think there was a great enough narrative in the books to show that. To me it just seemed like it came out of nowhere her reluctance and even fear of the Phoenix.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

From "Max the guy who does comics about comics"

20220404_101358.jpg

Fantastic Member

20220404_101358.jpg
    I love it! He writes the best Rachel haha

Fantastic Member

20220404_101358.jpg
    One of the worst points in Logan's history if you ask me. Such a hypocrite. Also great she's telling Kitty.

Astonishing Member

Ugh and the worst part was the way Logan acted like he was doing it for Rachel's own good. "I'm gonna protect you from the eventual trauma of realizing you've become a killer just like her by instead giving you the trauma of a supposed teammate and ally stabbing you in defense of the homicidal evil queen. Its a win for everyone!"

There is a costume battle on the profile of "fromtheashes.x" you can visit his profile on instagram and participate!

Here

Fantastic Member

Did Knights of X get pushed back. I could have sworn it was supposed to come out today?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    Did Knights of X get pushed back. I could have sworn it was supposed to come out today?
    It did. The global supply chain issues with paper has left the comics industry reeling. I believe this is pushed to the second week of May now, but it was confirmed by the artists a couple weeks ago. Every title is getting pushed.

Fantastic Member

It did. The global supply chain issues with paper has left the comics industry reeling. I believe this is pushed to the second week of May now, but it was confirmed by the artists a couple weeks ago. Every title is getting pushed.
    Must have missed that. Thanks, thought I was losing it for a second. I put a reminder in my calendar and everything so I thought I was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    Must have missed that. Thanks, thought I was losing it for a second. I put a reminder in my calendar and everything so I thought I was good.
    Yeah everything is pushed back.

So interesting thought: Previously based on some of the X-Men designs we assumed that no one from KoX would be at the new Hellfire Gala as they'd be fighting for their lives in the Otherworld. But Gambit has a new (and rather sexy) design for this year. Does this mean that Rachel or some of the others might also go? Right now KoX #3 is scheduled to come out the week before the Hellfire Issue.

Fantastic Member

Yeah everything is pushed back.

So interesting thought: Previously based on some of the X-Men designs we assumed that no one from KoX would be at the new Hellfire Gala as they'd be fighting for their lives in the Otherworld. But Gambit has a new (and rather sexy) design for this year. Does this mean that Rachel or some of the others might also go? Right now KoX #3 is scheduled to come out the week before the Hellfire Issue.
    I am pretty sure they are going to be there. I recall seeing a preview image of Betsy and Rachel somewhere.

Have you seen this custom? it is wonderful. I'm still waiting for the announcement of the figure of Rachel from Hasbro
    Screenshot_20220417-171235_Instagram.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    What you're describing from Claremont's 2nd chances run for Rachel straight through to Brubaker's character development, really depicts a negative or even abusive relationship between Rachel and the Phoenix. I hear a lot about the Phoenix being family and being 'saved' by it. But there is so much of her pain is a result of that Force too... family dying because of it and all those times the force abandoned her. I guess that's Rachel's raison d'être though... Krakoa's sisyphus.
    She doesn't have to have the Phoenix. She could still have fiery aura and be powerful and speak in the Phoenix voice bubbles. Just like her mother, she has the right to be called Phoenix.

The Shi'ar killed Rachel's family because Jean was Phoenix. But Jean was dead at that time. That was not the fault of Jean or the Phoenix. The Shi'ar killed defenseless people who had no powers. It had more to do for internal politics reasons. Kill the Grey family and go back and tell the empire you eliminated the threat of the Phoenix. When the Shiar can't even beat the XMen and Cassandra Nova, Xavier's sister took over the Shi'ar empire by herself.

No wonder they took Xavier's dna and combined it with Lilandra's DNA to make Xandra. They needed an empress who could resist powerful psychic attacks, as neither Lilandra nor Gladiator have any psychic defense.

The first issue of Knights of X has already gone on sale (although not in my country) I would like to know your opinions on the first issue, did you like it?.