Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you be interested in a Teen Titans series with some of the OG members?

I honestly would love one with Nightwing as the spear head I also like the idea of the OG Titans being thrown back together by some comic twist of fate. I'd prefer to have some changes done on them though and make it more of a reunion type thing where something has happened to each of them and changed them in some regard. What I'm thinking is to have something take place for a prologue that impacts all their lives indirectly and for Nightwing to unintentionally have played a major part in it then I'd fast forward a few months where all of them are shown down on their luck.

I like this idea as it'd set a more adult tone and add to a reunion theme for the group if while separated all their lives still were sort of intertwined. The characters I'd use would be Cyborg, BB, Raven, Starfire, and of course Dick.
    I also think this would be a good way to bring in characters from the cartoon and I also think Dick unintentionally screwing up multiple lives would make for some potentially good drama and comedic moments. Like Cyborg getting canceled because he defended Dick and maybe having to team up with BB (who could be hard up for cash) as a pair of bounty hunters. I can see Raven fully turned into a demon sorcerous adding a bit a of dark comedy to the team and being the cut throat member. I also like the idea of rekindling things with Dick and Starfire maybe expand on the lore by having a twist like her having his kind in secret and bringing in a young Nightstar.

I like the idea of the group just being thrown back together because of circumstances. As for how I'd bring in characters from the cartoon series I'd have some as bounties and others being tied to Dick's time as Rick for comedic reasons. Like maybe have a flashback of "Rick" being a jerk and ruining a fanboy's life (like him being reckless turned the guy into a meta that's trapped in TV Land) and said fanboy became Control Freak because of it. I also like the idea of Control Freak being a former Nitghtwing fan until "Rick" screwed his life up. Besides I love the thought of a villain whose obsessive knowledge on the Titans and other heroes makes him a threat. I can also picture Mad Mod as a super genius from Britian and I can see Cinderblock revamped as Bill Wintergreen having suffered from a mutation triggered by a fight between the Titans and Deathstroke.

Execution is key, but generally I am very much against NTT reunions. They never work and writers seem unable to do anything other than repeat Wolfman's greatest hits. And quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of Trigon, Slade, the Fearsome Five, Raven going evil, someone betraying the team, and everyone shifting between "friendship is magic!" and coming-of-age angst and melodrama. I've already read those stories, they were generally better the first time around, and somehow the NTT roster, which is full of amazing, excellent characters with decades of history, has become less than the sum of its parts.

If there's a good hook for these guys staying together as an organized team, then cool. But otherwise? If they're together just for the sake of nostalgia and so DC can quarantine these characters and not have to deal with them elsewhere? Hard pass.

Better, I think, to just look at each character individually and see what the next natural, logical step in their life is, and go from there. Maybe that means they all end up in different places and different teams. Maybe there's a reason for them to remain together once you plot out each hero's personal journey. They can, and should, remain friends in any case. I still want to see them hang out with each other, cameo in each other's books, all that. But there's a difference between them being friends, and them working together in a organized full-time team. The friendships should never die, but forcing them into a team when they've all outgrown the shape DC keeps forcing them into? That needs to be buried forever.

Besides, the original NTT was successful in large part because it allowed the characters to grow, develop, and evolve. It is insane to me that DC thinks they can repeat that success by trapping the team in status quo amber and not letting them grow, develop, and evolve. It's even crazier to me that DC has tried this multiple times over the years, with it never actually working, yet they try the same formula over again and again.

I'd be far more excited about Raven joining a new Birds of Prey, or Starfire getting a lot of panel time with the United Planets, or Cyborg joining the League and getting the treatment he deserved in the New52 than I would be by a NTT reunion.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I was very excited when Titans hunt debuted -- as I was certain it would end with Wally's return (and it did). The regular series that followed, however, wasted the opportunity of reuniting the original members (largely because their past history was still a problem due to the new 52 reboot). Too much focus was put on Wally -- and Brett Booth's art was some of his weakest (storytelling was big problem on his end). And then editorial changed the lineup -- which resulted in the book getting cancelled.

But isn't there already a Titans series using a lot of the OG -- because of the TV show?

Yes when I think Titans the members I invision are : Cyborg, BB, Raven, Starfire, and Dick.

I'd also be happy with Donna Troy on the team.

However, I have little faith in DC crafting a good Titans story anymore. I know it can be done, but DC's proven incapable for several years now. Maybe if another animated series. Give it to Powerhouse animation or the studio behind Avatar the Last Bender or any showrunner with an excelent track record. Shoot Greg Weisman would probably do a great job if you just made him focus on five to six characters.
    The J-man

I'd be for a NTT reunion, with some of the OG members popping in. Provided its not slated for major tragedy from the get go (looking at you G5/Future State). I want to see them be friends/family, stop the bad guys, go on adventures, etc. Take a cue from the animated series, bump the ages up for it, and go for it.

Personally, not against the idea of an "academy" type setting, but I had hoped it would instead have had already existing characters be brought in. Young heroes that don't really have a home of their own right now, but have potential. That obviously didn't happen with tons of brand new characters tossed into it instead. Some were interesting (Gorilla Gregg and his uncle Grodd was actually pretty good), but otherwise, a lot of what they're doing could have been done by already established characters. Like the Bat Clan? We have Maps and her group that fit the bill. A young psychic? We have Kathy from the Rebirth Superman comics. Speedster? Wally's kids just came back into existence. So much potential, just swept aside, and now the idea is poisoned.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have no interest in seeing another rehash of the Wolfman/Perez line-up. I'd much rather see the original Titans get another shot with a few newer faces with a line-up consisting of:

Nightwing
    Donna Troy
    Flash(Wally)
    Tempest
    Arsenal
    Bumblebee
    Vox
    Green Lantern(Kyle or Jessica)
    Shazam
    Firestorm(Ronnie & Jason combo)
    Golden Eagle
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm all for a good Titans book, is that much to ask?
    Titans United is cool and all, but it feels like filler and since its outside of the canon, it makes me care less about it. Also, it's the TV show line up.

I'm not going to complain about TT Academy more than i already did. I'm hoping for the socilits of this month to announce a new writer for the series tho.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Not really. The original Titans don't interest me much anymore.

Astonishing Member

Only if the run is competently written, doesn't rehash old storylines and takes the cast in a positive new direction.

Astonishing Member

Anyone here ever read Alan Moore's super short run on Youngblood? It was similar to his Supreme run whereas he took the basic archetypes of the Titans from either previous YB characters or all new one's he created. Even using Liefield's initial concept and a few of his characters, it was unsurprisingly great. Anyway, I always thought a lineup similar to Moore's run would be interesting.

Shaft - Arsenal
    Dusk - Nightwing
    Suprema - Supergirl
    Big Brother - Cyborg
    Johnny Panic - never quite figured out who his archetype was

Maybe switch out Arsenal with Flamebird (only because I loved the original Red Hood & the Outlaws run so much and would hate to split up that team) and Supergirl with Troia (just for tradition's sake) and throw in someone else for Johnny Panic and it'd be a super interesting lineup, I think.

Also, could you imagine how rad Steve Skorce on a Titans book would be?
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-03-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

This isn't about Dick, Donna, Garth, Roy, and Wally? That would be a story I might be interested in. But I'm old and to me, Cyborg, Starfire, and Raven are the new Titans.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This isn't about Dick, Donna, Garth, Roy, and Wally? That would be a story I might be interested in. But I'm old and to me, Cyborg, Starfire, and Raven are the new Titans.
    Same. The OG TT were around in the 60s, 20 years before the lineup in the OP. And TT West Coast were around in the 70s, more than 10 years before Cyborg, Starfire, and Raven. The NTT aren’t OG at all.

I’d love to see a series including all of the Fab Five and all of TTW. The Rebirth series, handled by a very subpar creative team, tried to do something like this but left out some of my faves like Flamebird and Duela Dent. Give me a team that and I’ll pay 10 times the price.

Another NTT reunion? No thanks. Every prior one has failed and if I want to see that team, well they’re already everywhere. Why not just watch TT Go instead? NTT are never out of the public eye. If there were ever a time to miss them maybe I’d, um, miss them.

not at all. i think DC needs less stories that lean into replicating an old arrangement of characters and story arcs. if some of these characters partnered up and did something new and interesting, sure, but I have little to no interest in a Titans reunion type thing. most of these character have graduated into the Justice League already, unless they are teaching a new generation of Titans/Teen Titans (stuff we should've been seeing more of in Titans Academy) I don't really want to see these characters doing anything really reminiscent of the Titans tbh. have Cyborg and Starfire make a new team/franchise and return to space; have Beast Boy (the red is magical in nature), Raven, and Tempest join Justice League Dark or something Shadowpact related/adjacent; have Dick continue to buckle down and establish his legacy as Nightwing. there are multiple new generation of Teen Titans and Titans that are coming in and should be given room to build on the Titan legacy, and all of these past Titans deserve to be doing more than just being a Titan at this phase of their development.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I wouldn't mind seeing the pre-Crisis Titans as a Titans group (minus the 'Teen'), and maybe guest-starring in a separate Teen Titans title (which I'd prefer to be called 'Young Justice') as visiting trainers.

That said, I also agree with lemonpeace that they need to explore the DCU more outside the Titans.
    Over at Marvel, Beast spent time as an Avenger and as a Defender, while Iceman and Angel were members of the Champions and the Defenders.

Of course, DC doesn't have a lot of teams that the characters can just hop over to. DC has really dropped the ball on their team books. If an editor or writer wanted to bring back some obscure character, their only choices are the Justice League and the Suicide Squad.
    Obscure or limbo-d fan-favorites may not have enough prestige for the League, while a long-forgotten character joining Suicide Squad is almost surely a death sentence.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I was a fan of the Titans series a few years ago that had the original cast....

(Dick, Donna, Wally, Roy, Tempest and Bumblebee.)

It was selling quite well, but then they switched over closer to the classic Wolfman team (to coincide with the Netflix show I imgine) and then sales puttered out.

Guess there going for a blend now, but a Titans without Wally or Roy doesn't appeal to me a whole lot.