Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default My Hero Academia Appreciation 2022

New Year means new Thread

For lovers of MHA everywhere!

Just beware there will be spoilers to the manga in this thread.

Extraordinary Member

Happy new year which might turn out to be the series last one, depending on how accurate Horikoshi's time estimate turns out to be.

Let's hope for a great ride.
    Eri in a yukata is a great start to the year!

New chapter to start off the year after Christmas break (which will be followed by another break next week for New Years heh)

spoilers:
    Midoriya and Iida go to see Mei for costume upgrades which she nonchalantly reacts and denies to. The two learn that the Support Course is in charge of maintaining the U.A. Barrier, and Mei specifically in charge with developing the evacuation blocks. After she talks about how inventing things is their way of helping people, she immediately gives Midoriya a new make-shift Air Force/Mid-Gauntlet hybrid, and Iida new armour piece, which she made on the fly. They reunite with the rest of Class 1-A as they assemble their Search Squad to track down the remnants of the PLF and LOV. At the same time, heroes like Nejire, Tamaki, Fat Gum, and Ryukyu are still doing cleanup, while All Might and Hawks go to Central Hospital to discuss their "Plan B".
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Short but simple chapter. Mei is always awesome and she's got some wonderfully hilarious (and also very pretty) panels in here. Hopefully with how her role's been set-up this isn't the last we see of her, even if it's a quick check-in during the final battle. I do kinda like now that Midoriya's just going to be in his U.A. tracksuit for this upcoming I guess "Search Squad" arc, feels very reminiscent of USJ where he's left with his make-shift patchwork outfit, and so also needs to work extra hard to stand out. Though I do hope he gets a full new costume by the final battle. Really excited to see how this "Villain Hunt" do-over looks with the rest of 1-A now with Midoriya, and what other characters will be showing up. Also, nice to see short-haired Nejire again, and looks like All Might is talking with Aizawa and possibly get something else Shirakumo related soon.
    end of spoilers

Also as a bonus, this was an extra little omake page included in the WSJ issue where the characters talk about what eating "Kiviaq" would taste like...and the awkwardness of discussing that around some of them. It's pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/zoshades/status/...041479680?s=21

spoilers:
    Mei is as awesome as ever and as pretty as ever. Love she's getting an important role with the U.A Barrier and Mass evacuation systems. Nejire does look cute with Short Hair. I won't be surprised if this search squad arc leads to the final fight between Toga and Ochaco. It should be interesting to see what Plan B is.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    Short but simple chapter. Mei is always awesome and she's got some wonderfully hilarious (and also very pretty) panels in here. Hopefully with how her role's been set-up this isn't the last we see of her, even if it's a quick check-in during the final battle. I do kinda like now that Midoriya's just going to be in his U.A. tracksuit for this upcoming I guess "Search Squad" arc, feels very reminiscent of USJ where he's left with his make-shift patchwork outfit, and so also needs to work extra hard to stand out. Though I do hope he gets a full new costume by the final battle. Really excited to see how this "Villain Hunt" do-over looks with the rest of 1-A now with Midoriya, and what other characters will be showing up. Also, nice to see short-haired Nejire again, and looks like All Might is talking with Aizawa and possibly get something else Shirakumo related soon.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If anybody's gonna put together a new suit for Izuku it should be Mei, or possibly Inko throwing together something for him. And the fact that Izuku is moving around in what's basically his gym clothes is pretty telling that this isn't the final final arc/mission. When he gets that new costume it's going to be big old splash page.

Mei is always a delight, and I really enjoyed how she just tossed together some functional replacement gear for Izuku and Iida with just one hand. That actually took me by surprise and made me smile a lot.

There are a lot of moving pieces going around. All Might's investigating and making things move on his end while all the kids and other pros are heading out for real, and then the villains are obviously also going along with their plans. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together. I was surprised to not see Mirio with his old team, but I'm guessing that he'll make a dramatic entrace soon. Come to think of it, we still haven't seen what the class band was planning on doing to lighten the mood.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    Mei is as awesome as ever and as pretty as ever. Love she's getting an important role with the U.A Barrier and Mass evacuation systems. Nejire does look cute with Short Hair. I won't be surprised if this search squad arc leads to the final fight between Toga and Ochaco. It should be interesting to see what Plan B is.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If the Ochaco and Toga fight happens during this arc I hope that Ochaco still gets to play an important role in the arc that follows.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    If anybody's gonna put together a new suit for Izuku it should be Mei, or possibly Inko throwing together something for him. And the fact that Izuku is moving around in what's basically his gym clothes is pretty telling that this isn't the final final arc/mission. When he gets that new costume it's going to be big old splash page.

Mei is always a delight, and I really enjoyed how she just tossed together some functional replacement gear for Izuku and Iida with just one hand. That actually took me by surprise and made me smile a lot.

There are a lot of moving pieces going around. All Might's investigating and making things move on his end while all the kids and other pros are heading out for real, and then the villains are obviously also going along with their plans. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together. I was surprised to not see Mirio with his old team, but I'm guessing that he'll make a dramatic entrace soon. Come to think of it, we still haven't seen what the class band was planning on doing to lighten the mood.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    If the Ochaco and Toga fight happens during this arc I hope that Ochaco still gets to play an important role in the arc that follows.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Honestly, I have this conspiracy that Horikoshi has just been refusing to bring Mirio back ever since his return from the War arc, due to just how controversial it was and maybe realizing he bungled it having him show up there. Because I really feel like Mirio's appearance there showing up there might be the biggest mistake the series has ever done. Not even so much as because of how it rushed through both Mirio and Eri's development just to get him his Quirk back, but that it turned out to be ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. If Mirio made any appearance, or was even mentioned at any point during the Villain Hunt arc, I'd be okay with it, but with him completely AWOL, there was no reason for him to show up in the War, they could've saved him getting his Quirk back for now and it might've been more impactful. But yeah, this is probably the only real thing in MHA that would rile me up this much to vent about lol.

I'm definitely really curious to see who the "boss" for this Pre-Final War arc is going to be, because I really have no idea what they could do here or what they can do in the final battle. I could see Skeptic and the PLF, and also possibly Spinner, being the closest things to main antagonists here, with them possibly saving Toga for the war. I am betting real hard that this is when we'll finally be getting Gentle & La Brava's return, which I'm super excited for. Even moreso when I saw someone suggest that they have La Brava hack Skeptic and that's how they learn their location, which is a genius idea I really wanna see happen.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Honestly, I have this conspiracy that Horikoshi has just been refusing to bring Mirio back ever since his return from the War arc, due to just how controversial it was and maybe realizing he bungled it having him show up there. Because I really feel like Mirio's appearance there showing up there might be the biggest mistake the series has ever done. Not even so much as because of how it rushed through both Mirio and Eri's development just to get him his Quirk back, but that it turned out to be ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. If Mirio made any appearance, or was even mentioned at any point during the Villain Hunt arc, I'd be okay with it, but with him completely AWOL, there was no reason for him to show up in the War, they could've saved him getting his Quirk back for now and it might've been more impactful. But yeah, this is probably the only real thing in MHA that would rile me up this much to vent about lol.

I'm definitely really curious to see who the "boss" for this Pre-Final War arc is going to be, because I really have no idea what they could do here or what they can do in the final battle. I could see Skeptic and the PLF, and also possibly Spinner, being the closest things to main antagonists here, with them possibly saving Toga for the war. I am betting real hard that this is when we'll finally be getting Gentle & La Brava's return, which I'm super excited for. Even moreso when I saw someone suggest that they have La Brava hack Skeptic and that's how they learn their location, which is a genius idea I really wanna see happen.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah. Having one of the most dramatic and powerful moments in the series (Mirio sacrificing his quirk to protect Eri and then still fight back against Overhaul) be undone off-screen was a very very odd choice. I always imagined that it was going to happen, Eri reversing the quirk erasure, but pictured it in a much more dramatic setting that wasn't off-screen. Hopefully Horikoshi has a planned role for Mirio that makes it worth it... to some extent at least. Hell, I'd just be happy for Mirio, Tamaki and Nejire to do something cool together.

I'm still wonder if AFO will bring in any other helpers for the final arcs. He's been cut off from his international network, but surely he's got some other connections in Japan to call upon. It would be a bit disappointing if the final battle was against All For Shigaraki, the remains of the LoV and another large number of super Nomu's. At least bring back Gigantomachia for a rematch with the class.

Though one alternative that they'll never do is to use the movie villains. Like, have Wolfram from the first movie act as the commander for Nine's crew and the remains of Humarise (Leviathan, Serpenters and Beros who can say survived despite her fall, it isn't that much of a push). They'd all have reason to hate Deku and the class and want revenge against them.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Yeah. Having one of the most dramatic and powerful moments in the series (Mirio sacrificing his quirk to protect Eri and then still fight back against Overhaul) be undone off-screen was a very very odd choice. I always imagined that it was going to happen, Eri reversing the quirk erasure, but pictured it in a much more dramatic setting that wasn't off-screen. Hopefully Horikoshi has a planned role for Mirio that makes it worth it... to some extent at least. Hell, I'd just be happy for Mirio, Tamaki and Nejire to do something cool together.

I'm still wonder if AFO will bring in any other helpers for the final arcs. He's been cut off from his international network, but surely he's got some other connections in Japan to call upon. It would be a bit disappointing if the final battle was against All For Shigaraki, the remains of the LoV and another large number of super Nomu's. At least bring back Gigantomachia for a rematch with the class.

Though one alternative that they'll never do is to use the movie villains. Like, have Wolfram from the first movie act as the commander for Nine's crew and the remains of Humarise (Leviathan, Serpenters and Beros who can say survived despite her fall, it isn't that much of a push). They'd all have reason to hate Deku and the class and want revenge against them.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I really hope Nejire gets something awesome to do, she has been short-changed so far.

Using the Movie villains would be a cool idea, especially with Horikoshi making nods to the movies recently. All some of the movie villains were working/being aided by AFO.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    A League of Villains/Paranormal Liberation Front Counter-Force is assembled consisting of All Might, Hawks, Ragdoll, the Police Force, and American military. All Might reveals their plan which is to separate All For One and Shigaraki so they are unable to work together, and thus easier to defeat. As an extension, this plan includes isolating and defeating all the other members of the League one by one so they are unable to assist.

Meanwhile, Aizawa interrogates Aoyama, where they confirm that he doesn't have an explosive trap like Lady Nagant did. Aoyama's still scared and worried about unable to help others and pay for his crimes, but Aizawa reassures him to not let the guilt get the better of him and do everything in his power to fight back, reminding him that everyone else will be there beside him. Elsewhere at U.A., a costume-clad Hitoshi Shinso prepares to head out.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Another simple effective chapter. If the plan ends up going how they're saying, which is separate pre-mediated plans going after each of the major forces in the League one at a time, I'm really excited for that. Let's the PLF, Spinner, Toga, Dabi, etc get stand-alone final conclusions, which could also act as fun pay off of AFO having to deal with slowly dwindling resources. Also will make it feel different from the War arc of having everything going on at once in different locations. Will be curious to see how the desired approach to deal with Shigaraki and AFO ends up being (the kids go after Shiggy and adults AFO?)

Also some great dialogue between Aizawa and Aoyama, him reaffirming his beliefs and helping his student try to get over the intrinsic fear within. And then of course, finally hero costume Shinso, which is obviously very Eraser Head inspired. Really curious to see where he's going and what his role will be. After seeing someone suggest getting him to brainwash Gigantomachia after tricking him with Shiggy and/or AFO's voice, that's all I can think about and would be absolutely perfect.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    The problem I have with this plan is that it seems Horikoshi is going to do more one on one fights like the Overhaul Arc, which is not what I want. I prefer to see more team-ups.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Another simple effective chapter. If the plan ends up going how they're saying, which is separate pre-mediated plans going after each of the major forces in the League one at a time, I'm really excited for that. Let's the PLF, Spinner, Toga, Dabi, etc get stand-alone final conclusions, which could also act as fun pay off of AFO having to deal with slowly dwindling resources. Also will make it feel different from the War arc of having everything going on at once in different locations. Will be curious to see how the desired approach to deal with Shigaraki and AFO ends up being (the kids go after Shiggy and adults AFO?)

Also some great dialogue between Aizawa and Aoyama, him reaffirming his beliefs and helping his student try to get over the intrinsic fear within. And then of course, finally hero costume Shinso, which is obviously very Eraser Head inspired. Really curious to see where he's going and what his role will be. After seeing someone suggest getting him to brainwash Gigantomachia after tricking him with Shiggy and/or AFO's voice, that's all I can think about and would be absolutely perfect.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    On the one hand I kinda like the idea that each LoV member will get their own final stand against a selected group of heroes. It's a good opportunity to give all manner of suporting characters a proper chance to glow and puts some proper respect on each villain. Though I do find the idea of needing a whole team of pros to isolate and take down Spinner to be a bit odd, I guess he can be backed up by his new fandom.

But part of me also really wants Shigaraki and the remaining members of his LoV to go out in a blaze of glory at the end once he's been rid of AFO's influence. And I'm still suspecting that this whole shindig will only be the penultimate arc. Generally I'm just really interested in seeing where all the villains end up towards the end since that feels more up in the air than with most of the heroes.

Aizawa just being the best teacher/dad is always bound to be a heartwarming moment and never fails to make me smile, so I always appreciate those. Ninja Shinso is a very good Shinso, now we just need his hero name.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The problem I have with this plan is that it seems Horikoshi is going to do more one on one fights like the Overhaul Arc, which is not what I want. I prefer to see more team-ups.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think that the main idea here is to have a bunch of smaller focused team ups take on each individual villain. So like Deku goes after Shigaraki alongside heroes with power suited to deal with him while Endeavor, Shoto and some back-up go after Dabi and Ochako will most likely be on the team that targets Toga. We'll have to see how well that goes, but it's not quite standard 1v1 match-ups from the onset at least.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I think that the main idea here is to have a bunch of smaller focused team ups take on each individual villain. So like Deku goes after Shigaraki alongside heroes with power suited to deal with him while Endeavor, Shoto and some back-up go after Dabi and Ochako will most likely be on the team that targets Toga. We'll have to see how well that goes, but it's not quite standard 1v1 match-ups from the onset at least.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Hopefully it is a serious of teams which all contribute.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    What I'm hoping is by "one on one", they mean the villains will be taken out in some order, so that we can have multiple different team-ups during these encounters. Especially cause I feel like Midoriya needs to have some kind of face-off with Spinner and Toga, as well as of course Shigaraki and AFO, so makes me feel like they won't all be happening at the same time.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    On the one hand I kinda like the idea that each LoV member will get their own final stand against a selected group of heroes. It's a good opportunity to give all manner of suporting characters a proper chance to glow and puts some proper respect on each villain. Though I do find the idea of needing a whole team of pros to isolate and take down Spinner to be a bit odd, I guess he can be backed up by his new fandom.

But part of me also really wants Shigaraki and the remaining members of his LoV to go out in a blaze of glory at the end once he's been rid of AFO's influence. And I'm still suspecting that this whole shindig will only be the penultimate arc. Generally I'm just really interested in seeing where all the villains end up towards the end since that feels more up in the air than with most of the heroes.

Aizawa just being the best teacher/dad is always bound to be a heartwarming moment and never fails to make me smile, so I always appreciate those. Ninja Shinso is a very good Shinso, now we just need his hero name.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Although remember, I'm pretty sure they completely forgot Spinner is a thing, since All Might doesn't mention him as one of the "main threats" to deal with. Which is why I'm wondering if he'll end up being a part of the "PLF stuff", or on the "Shigaraki side" helping protect him/break free of AFO's control, or possibly he'll be involved in both.

I also still have no idea how the eventual conclusion with the villains will be. Toga and Spinner I'm still expecting to go through some sort of "redemption", Dabi feels likely to die, but Shigaraki I have no idea. Dying to defeat AFO, or going out in one final battle (akin to the end of Naruto), feel like the primary possibilities. If anything, not knowing will make whatever happens more exciting, and still very interested to see how exactly all the heroes and the students end up being positioned to take on the threats.

Seen alot of people saying it has to have "Eraser" somewhere in the name and I agree. "Mind Eraser" is a popular one and I like that.
    end of spoilers