Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

spoilers:
    Once again it seems that Tenko could be responsible for AFO and Tomura's downfall. His reaction was great and totally not expected. While it is great hat we get some stuff on Nejire is sucks that it is now and not during the Overhaul arc like the lads. Also Suneater about to do his own AFO attack hopefully will not disappoint
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    A surprisingly really short chapter, but we at least get a decent amount of story and development out of it. Mirio's reaction and Shigaraki's freakout gave me genuinely hard laughs at how sudden they both were. Interested to see what role "Tenko" will have in freeing Shigaraki and how much deeper it will go. Hoping we'll still get "real Shigaraki"'s outburst too instead of just Tenko's. Also we got some cool added backstory from Nejire, showing how she was very cold and distant from everyone due to them all believing her to look down on them because of her Quirk, until Tamaki befriended her and allowed her to open up. It's a neat side to her character, how she wasn't always this blissfully bubbly and how much of an impact the two of them had on her.

And then there's Tamaki's ultimate attack, which is a great application of his Quirk's true potential, and a really neat visual. Wondering exactly what kind of attack this monstrosity is going to end up creating.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, the 11 pages is noticeably short. I hope Horikoshi is ok.

While I did really appreciate the outburst and Mirio's awkward and confused reaction, I'm a bit sad that it wasn't prompted by Shigaraki's LoV comrades. Though the outburst is coming from the furthest depths of his soul, which were little Tenko resides. So it makes sense. I want to see him start listing all his friends more and more as he rips himself free from AFO.

While it's a bit short as it certainly could've been explored in greater detail, Nejire opening up because Tamaki decided to pass Mirio's kindness and open nature along is really sweet. The panel where he's covering his eyes while asking about her favourite hero is just damn cute.

I wonder if Tamaki is going for a singular mega attack or a longer last uber-form. Either one would be cool. And nice little detail that the arms growing out of Shigaraki aren't as durable as he is. Probably because they've just been created while Shigaraki's body has been experimented on for several months.
    end of spoilers

The two OVAs came out today on Crunchyroll, in both subbed and dubbed which is a very nice bonus. Both really fun and enjoyable to watch, potentially may be the best of all the OVAs/filler episodes that they've done. Even surprised me in a couple aspects.

spoilers:
    The Baseball episode is pretty much just jokes and insanity the entire time. I was not expecting it was basically just going to be the entire cast being absolutely brutalized the entire time, but it made me laugh alot (shout out to Mt. Lady straight up murdering Sero). Gang Orca and Shishido also got a really funny rivalry (doubling as an Oumagadoki Zoo reference which I always appreciate), and I'm glad the "villain attack" didn't turn out to be a major thing and was just a quick distraction to demonstrate that even despite their rivalry at baseball, they work amazingly together as a hero team.

The Mr. Smiley episode essentially played out like if they took Gentle's story and condensed it into a single episode. The setup is still incredibly funny to me with Endeavor not caring about the graffiti until he's effected and then goes hard on trying to stop him, and seeing Mr. Smiley turn out to be the actual most unstoppable character in the entire series. Did not expect the turn diving deeper into Smiley as a tragic character, and it was nice seeing that extra pathos in trying to tell a story here, and always good to see Midoriya's kind heartedness into effect with characters like this. Plus some other miscellaneous cool things, like Endeavor and Bakugo's training, a surprise Mei appearance, and characters you'd never expect to see laugh in a laughing fit.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

The two OVAs came out today on Crunchyroll, in both subbed and dubbed which is a very nice bonus. Both really fun and enjoyable to watch, potentially may be the best of all the OVAs/filler episodes that they've done. Even surprised me in a couple aspects.

spoilers:
    The Baseball episode is pretty much just jokes and insanity the entire time. I was not expecting it was basically just going to be the entire cast being absolutely brutalized the entire time, but it made me laugh alot (shout out to Mt. Lady straight up murdering Sero). Gang Orca and Shishido also got a really funny rivalry (doubling as an Oumagadoki Zoo reference which I always appreciate), and I'm glad the "villain attack" didn't turn out to be a major thing and was just a quick distraction to demonstrate that even despite their rivalry at baseball, they work amazingly together as a hero team.

The Mr. Smiley episode essentially played out like if they took Gentle's story and condensed it into a single episode. The setup is still incredibly funny to me with Endeavor not caring about the graffiti until he's effected and then goes hard on trying to stop him, and seeing Mr. Smiley turn out to be the actual most unstoppable character in the entire series. Did not expect the turn diving deeper into Smiley as a tragic character, and it was nice seeing that extra pathos in trying to tell a story here, and always good to see Midoriya's kind heartedness into effect with characters like this. Plus some other miscellaneous cool things, like Endeavor and Bakugo's training, a surprise Mei appearance, and characters you'd never expect to see laugh in a laughing fit.
    end of spoilers
    I don't know if I think these were the best OVAs/filler episodes. But they were certainly very entertaining.

spoilers:
    Just as I always enjoy when the cast uses their powers in smart and helpful ways outside of combat, I also love seeing them use their powers to exaggerate really mundane into overblown spectacles. Beating each other up by going all in on baseball certainly fits the later. What made it even funnier was that unlike the Sports Festival or License Exams there was no big deal made out of this. Beyond Mic's commentary they were really just playing baseball out in the middle of some random town. That was just really hilarious to me. Same with Aizawa and Tamaki absolutely not wanting to be there. I also like how Kirishima's hype Unbreakable moment just resulted in a little bunt, good stuff. Top it off with our captains showing a nice level of professionalism and you've got a fun little episode that was basically everything I wanted to see.

Poor Tetsutetsu though.

The Mr. Smiley episode was a surprising delight as the story was well put together and had a little more depth than I expected it to. I was happy to see it reinforce that when given the option Deku does try to understand his opponents and help them as much as he helps civilians. A good reminder of that mindset before it's really put to the test in the next season. I like that out of all the characters Shoto was the one who managed to keep it together them most, and even then he had to curl into a ball to stop the laughter. Also, hilariously enough, AFO would be immune to the quirk since he can't see Mr. Smiley. Or at least he couldn't until he recently grew back his eyes.
    end of spoilers

Overall, a neat little bit of levity before the next season goes all dark and serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I don't know if I think these were the best OVAs/filler episodes. But they were certainly very entertaining.
    If I had to rank the OVAs/fillers, it'd probably go:
    Training Of The Dead (S2 OVA) > Hero League Baseball > Laugh! As if you are in hell > Everyone's Internships (S2) > Save! Rescue Training (S1 OVA) > The Scoop On Class 1-A (S4 Opener) > Game Start (S3 Opener) > Save The World With Love! (S3) > Long Time No See Selkie (S5) > All Hands On Deck! Class 1-A (S5 Opener) > Make It! Do-Or-Die Survival Training (S4 OVA)

The S4 OVA is definitely still the weakest, just cause it didn't have the two things that I like out of these episodes, a unique premise or funny jokes, plus it needlessly being 2 episodes long made it drag out even more. The S3 opener would've been higher if it wasn't for the clip show element, because I love the swimming competition, but it requiring heavy fast forward hurts it. OVA2 still is the highlight for being a combination of a fun idea that also doesn't take itself seriously and thus has some great hilarious moments in it.

I'm devastated after this latest chapter.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm devastated after this latest chapter.
    Been missing seeing your thoughts on this book.

If you didn't mind, would you elaborate on this, please?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-05-2022 at 05:57 PM.

spoilers:
    Tamaki unleashes his supermassive Plasma Cannon at "Shigaraki", but it's still not enough to do any significant damage. With nothing else left, Bakugo stands up and goes to fight "Shigaraki" using his superfast explosions to evade most of his incoming attacks, despite the pain to his body, while "Shigaraki" starts to panic at being overpowered, seeing a form of the Second User of One For All. Even as the rest of the Heroes try to help, "Shigaraki" successfully lands a fatal blow to Bakugo's stomach, and as rain clouds begin to appear over several regions, Bakugo lies lifeless on the ground with his heart stopped...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Damn. I saw alot of blowing up about things online earlier this week but I was able to mostly avoid the spoilers (though I had a vague idea based on what I did hear), and this has ALOT of ramifications. It's hard to completely buy into this potential death, given his main character status and that we already had a fake out like this before, but this will be an incredibly shocking moment and damn hard way to go out. It's hard to even think of a way they could get around and undo this without it feeling very cheap. Especially when you have that really hard hitting scene of Bakugo speaking to All Might's ghost and wanting to get an autograph from him. Also interesting stuff like TomurAFO seeing the Second User and making me want to now know more about what else is up with him. Either way, we got two weeks to wait until we return to see how this fallout ends up.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Damn. I saw alot of blowing up about things online earlier this week but I was able to mostly avoid the spoilers (though I had a vague idea based on what I did hear), and this has ALOT of ramifications. It's hard to completely buy into this potential death, given his main character status and that we already had a fake out like this before, but this will be an incredibly shocking moment and damn hard way to go out. It's hard to even think of a way they could get around and undo this without it feeling very cheap. Especially when you have that really hard hitting scene of Bakugo speaking to All Might's ghost and wanting to get an autograph from him. Also interesting stuff like TomurAFO seeing the Second User and making me want to now know more about what else is up with him. Either way, we got two weeks to wait until we return to see how this fallout ends up.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm disappointed that Tamaki's big moment amounted to nothing, not even pushing Shigaraki back or anything. But that's the way these things go I guess.

And Bakugo's quirk evolving into a more powerful form is a really cool concept. I hope that we get to see this from some other characters as well.

As for the big thing. It IS really hard to think that Bakugo is just straight up dead without accomplishing much of anything beyond helping to stall Shigaraki a bit. But it would be quite the bold move on Horikoshi's part. If it gets reversed or it's possible to save him I hope that that's made clear in the next chapter. Don't drag this out so we think that you've actually killed Bakugo for a few dozen chapters only to suddenly reveal that he was actually saved and is back and able to fight in the final battle.

Since Tenko/Tomura never met any of the other OFA-inheritors one has to assume that it's the AFO part that's has some PTSD regarding the second inheritor. Makes one wonder what happened between the two of them.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 08-08-2022 at 12:23 AM.

spoilers:
    It is a shame the Big Three failed to weaken Tomura even a slight bit. I don't like the idea that only Deku can stop him.

Bakugo being killed is definitely a shock, but I am would be more shocked to see it stick, given his popularity.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I can understand the annoyance of The Big Three's major payoff with Tamaki's cannon doing absolutely nothing to Shigaraki. Narratively, it does make The Big Three's role seem even more trivial compared to Bakugo or Izuku when he gets his 'Goku saves the day' moment. However, Shigaraki has had multiple occasions where he's stated to have Nomu enhanced physicals almost on par with All Might even with all his Quirks shut down. All Might was one of the strongest characters in the series, and he could probably have tanked this attack so it makes sense Shigaraki can too. It just sucks for The Big Three that their build up amounts to nothing.

If Horikoshi has the stones to kill off Bakugo for good, I don't know how to feel about that. On the one hand, some fans are pointing out that the nitroglycerin present in Bakugo's Explosion quirk can be used for restarting cardiovascular functions, aka the heart, so Bakugo's Quirk could potentially save his life. On the other hand, Bakugo took a punch from Shigaraki that stopped his heart on top of all his other injuries, so he should be dead by now. Killing off the most popular character in the series would up the stakes of the final arc for sure.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

I finally got around to reading the latest School Briefs volume and found it to be something of a mixed bag.

spoilers:
    The first chapter is possibly my least favourite chapter of the entire School Briefs series. It has an uninteresting mystery and a rather lacklustre resolution that doesn't really seem to add much of anything to the world at large. I guess the tunnels Power Loader created could be a prelude to the emergency escape system used the civilians in the current arc, but even that's a bit weak. And I've never gotten the impression that Power Loader is supposed to be shy a this chapter claims he is.

The second chapter is much better! Having the teacher focused chapter be about them all trying to give Eri presents while dressed as Santa is such a simple but cute and hilarious idea. And it delivers on pretty much everything you'd expect from the premise. I did think that the super defense angelbot was a bit much, but it didn't take up too much time of the chapter, only showing up around the end. Otherwise, a super cute chapter.

But the best part was the chapter with the Todoroki siblings bonding over their new year's dinner. Shoto being an awkward bean, Natsuo overcoming his doubts and taking some good steps and Fuyumi just being the big sister lead to some great and endearingly awkward moments. And the ongoing gag of the failed soba lump was well used. I really did appreciate the additional insight into Natsuo's mindset during the chapter, and seeing Shoto from his perspective was really cute. The bit with Endeavor incinerating all the food he'd bought for dinner because he ran into a villain he needed to stop was quite sad. Like in a "That's rough buddy." kind of way.

The chapter that focused on Deku and Bakugou during their work study was quite fun. While it didn't resolve anything I always appreciate further contemplations Deku regarding their clearly flawed relationship. And paralleling to the kids having a fight because one of them was going to move away from the other was a nice little contrast.

The last chapter did drag a little bit, but it had Monoma who is always hilarious. And they actually gave him a little more depth, using some of the positive traits the series had shown him display at this point. Even making him somewhat impressive in Kaminari's eyes. I especially liked the bit where he's pleading the others to not tell Vlad about the incidents he's caused since it'll cost him his work study and he feels that he can't afford that. It's a nice moment of genuine vulnearability from him. Though, if there are mushrooms that mess with peoples' quirks you'd think those would be used more villains. And apparently the author really liked the part where Bakugou threw a thing at Deku's head because he repeated it twice in this chapter. It just reminded me how I did not care for that joke.

And of course the little interlude bits with the kids celebrating christmas with their families were adorable. But they also reminded me that we still don't know the names of Ochako's parents. Like what the heck?
    end of spoilers

Looks like the next school briefs is out next January

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    It is a shame the Big Three failed to weaken Tomura even a slight bit. I don't like the idea that only Deku can stop him.

Bakugo being killed is definitely a shock, but I am would be more shocked to see it stick, given his popularity.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I am hoping they don't play it out like *ONLY* Deku could beat him, and instead have it go like Deku is the last missing piece that allows everyone and everything to come together, kind of like how in the 2nd Musuclar fight it wasn't just that Deku beat him on his own, but that he took advantage of Shindo messing up his fibres beforehand. Even despite his immense power, he still needs help from others, even if its seemingly in a small way. That's really the only way I think it can work, and if it's only Deku decimating him on his own it'll feel disappointing.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I finally got around to reading the latest School Briefs volume and found it to be something of a mixed bag.
    spoilers:
    I agree that the first chapter is probably the least interesting of all of them in the novels. Not really that engaging of a story without as many great interactions with its set of characters (best moment was Bakugo cleaning Kirishima's room). Anytime School Briefs focuses on the teacher's is gold and this is no exception. Really liked the extra insight into Natsuo's character in the Todoroki chapter, and the exploration of Deku and Bakugo's relationship is always nice to see.

The final chapter does feel like 3 different stories smushed into one, but both the Hot Pot and Sauna competitions had alot of really funny moments (plus the mini segment with the girls being very cute). I also really appreciated getting some actual development with Monoma, seeing his assholery actually backfire, regret it, and try to fix it. Also love the now canon confirmation that the reason he was in the remedial lessons during the Summer Camp was because he failed the written exams and it's a neat character flaw that would've been neat to explore more that he is a wiz at practical stuff, but just sucks at studying, which leads to Kaminari understanding him somewhat.

I think Asui, Jiro, and Bakugo's parents are like the only ones we know names for. Uraraka, Yaoyorozu, even the Aoyamas still don't have names for, which is weird given their (semi) frequent appearances.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Looks like the next school briefs is out next January
    I've read the fan translations for School Briefs VI and there's alot of good stuff to look forward to. If you're a fan of Eri you'll especially like this, she gets like 3 spotlight chapters.

I'm wondering with the manga concluding soon if we'll be getting one last 7th School Briefs book or if 6 will be the last one. Also if there is a 7th, if it will take place in the "post-War" timeline, since 6 takes place all during those 2 pre-War months.