Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Emma Frost fans on Twitter have and continue to be enormous fucking babies about the X-Men 97 show runner saying he prefers Scott with Jean over Emma. Classless.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Emma Frost fans on Twitter have and continue to be enormous fucking babies about the X-Men 97 show runner saying he prefers Scott with Jean over Emma. Classless.
    Nope, the complaints about his comments were because he CLEARLY didn't read the stories he was commenting on, and also blamed Emma for Scott's alleged misdeeds (which he would know didn't really happened if he read the stories)

I dont care tbh, I see most people displeased about the way he has spoken about Emma’s character and blaming her for literally everything “evil” Scott has done. At the end of the day if hes going to make such bold opinions he shouldnt mind those that oppose his?? Lol
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Beau DeMayo has every right to his opinion. I am saddened by earlier treatment by fans last time he voiced an unpopular opinion about X-men. Some stans always take things too far and harassing a creator should never be tolerated. I don't think under other circumstances the fan community would tolerate such behavior toward a gay black man. We have longed for more diversity behind the scenes in comics and other media. Once again we do not live up to our ideas.

I've seen him accused of many things - even hating women which is odd because last I checked Emma Frost (like all other X-men) are fictional characters. While I do not agree with all of his views I don't see anything wrong with him sharing his view. Plus it is no secret many fans see Emma as this morally gray character that abuses and manipulates others - yes I see her as a hero now and an X-man but she remains a problematic fav for sure.

And those who have had an Emma Frost type person in their lives, may not identify with the character the way some of you in this thread do, and that is ok. We all gravitate towards certain characters.

I loved Morrison's version of Emma, but some people will always see her relationship with Cyclops starting with manipulation and abuse (because of her trying to be his therapist and they started a relationship). Also, I thought it was an almost universal given that when the books were kind of the Scott and Emma show it was the worst X-men period (yikes to the Matt Fraction era...) But I concede that many younger fans started X-men when Scott and Emma were a big deal and so many of the younger fans see Emma as an essential part of the X-men (and that of course is totally valid - I have to remind myself of this sometimes).

My main point is please call out toxic fans that harass creators on twitter. I've seen crazy responses to Beau in the past, and we should all work together to be less toxic and to create a fandom that is a positive force. I really think the majority of us will be pleased with X-men 97 if we give it a chance when it comes out.

Edit: Emma is one of my favorites before anyone misunderstands me and tries to put a negative slant on what I wrote. I'm just trying to explain why she may not be everyone's favorite. During Morrison's run Emma and Logan were in my top 5 X-men (right under Jean, Scott, and Beast).
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 10-23-2022 at 05:57 PM.

He didn't read any of the stories he was talking about and admitted to it after being called out by people who were quite respectful. In fact it was a variety of the X-men community that called him out mostly Storm fans.
    It's turned me off the series so will be boycotting. He's entitled to his opinion but we aren't forced to consume. Also coming to an Emma Frost thread to insult her fans is just plane insulting. No one went to the JG thread to complain about racist and transphobe comments by prominent JG twitter accounts

His comments are akin to saying Jean took a big dump in Cyclops bed in Morrisons X-men because that never happened its just factually wrong. Same for Emma manipulated Scott into killing Xavier in AvX is just factually wrong

Oh he made new comments about his love for Jott there hasn't been any angry tweets towards him that I can see. Mostly Jott fans talking about how much they hate Emma and Scott. In fact there's mostly angry Rogue fans tweeting at him over another bad take on Mr and Mrs X. And it seems a Rachel fan had the most damning tweet on his interview
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 10-23-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

This absolutely has disproved nothing about my opinions of how people responded to very benign comments

Spectacular Member

This absolutely has disproved nothing about my opinions of how people responded to very benign comments
    If you don't mind me asking, could you share a link to said comments/posts/threads, or just a few examples? Genuinely asking because after your comment I went and searched for those and didn't find anything except a single comment that I would consider toxic. In fact, I saw a lot more heat over his comments on Rogue's powers (which were hugely taken out of context by the way), comments that I would consider toxic, but not so much on the Emma side.

I guess I'm just curious about what is it that you saw that made you come to the Emma thread to start this discussion when no one here even talks about X-Men '97. I mean, we're all aware how the producer feels about Emma by now, what is there to talk?

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Beau DeMayo has every right to his opinion. I am saddened by earlier treatment by fans last time he voiced an unpopular opinion about X-men. Some stans always take things too far and harassing a creator should never be tolerated. I don't think under other circumstances the fan community would tolerate such behavior toward a gay black man. We have longed for more diversity behind the scenes in comics and other media. Once again we do not live up to our ideas.

I've seen him accused of many things - even hating women which is odd because last I checked Emma Frost (like all other X-men) are fictional characters. While I do not agree with all of his views I don't see anything wrong with him sharing his view. Plus it is no secret many fans see Emma as this morally gray character that abuses and manipulates others - yes I see her as a hero now and an X-man but she remains a problematic fav for sure.

I loved Morrison's version of Emma, but some people will always see her relationship with Cyclops starting with manipulation and abuse (because of her trying to be his therapist and they started a relationship). Also, I thought it was an almost universal given that when the books were kind of the Scott and Emma show it was the worst X-men period (yikes to the Matt Fraction era...) But I concede that many younger fans started X-men when Scott and Emma were a big deal and so many of the younger fans see Emma as an essential part of the X-men (and that of course is totally valid - I have to remind myself of this sometimes).

Hey, I snipped some parts of your post so that mine doesn't get too long, leaving only the parts I'm responding to. Though I wish to elaborate further on the other sects later, when I have a little more time.

Of course, I agree that DeMayo has every right to any opinion of his, regarding Emma, the X-Men or anything else really, but I found the bolded part of your first paragraph worth discussing. And of course nothing justifies cyber harassment, but when you say that "once again we do not live up to our ideas", I'd like to propose that, on the mind of some fans, myself included, maybe it was DeMayo himself that didn't live up to those ideas, at least on that unfortunate comment of his. He blamed the death of a straight white man on the hands of another straight white man on a woman. "Nah bro, Scott is innocent of this, it was that Frost b*tch that manipulated him on killing Xavier" is not something I'd expect from someone that represents diversity behind the scenes. In fact, imagine if that was said by someone that wasn't part of the LGBTQIA+ community. How would people receive that?

And it gets even worse when you recall that just before killing Xavier Cyclops had just stabbed Emma herself in the back. She still gets the blame for that? Really? Again, I don't condone harassing a real person over a fictional character, but I can understand IF (because again, haven't seen people being disrespectful) people got mad about that comment.

As you very well said on the 2nd paragraph I didn't snip, Emma is a morally gray character, but she's been allied with the X-Men for 2/3 of her existence. The Phalanx Covenant, that made her an unwilling ally and was the effective start of her redemption arc was an 1994 event. And that's if we're counting by years, if we count by comic appearances/significant appearances I'd wager her time as a villain doesn't take even 1/10 of her published story. She didn't even have a fanbase during her villain years, it was during Generation X that fans started noticing her and in Morrison that she exploded in popularity. As such, it is my opinion, and I think a lot of Emma fans' too, that there is no point in bringing her to an adaptation if you're not going to have her redemption arc. It's as an anti-hero that she brings something unique to the story.
    How's that relevant to this discussion? Well, as a morally gray character, theres a loooooooot of things I can blame Emma for, so when the producer of this show gets to blame her for the one thing I can tell you for sure she's absolutely not at fault, well... let's just say I don't trust that guy can do a good job with her redemption arc. And if he doesn't even try to do that arc, it brings me full circle in that I don't think she should even be there in the first place if that's the case. You know, just like comic writers, leave the character for someone that cares enough about him/her to at the very least depict his/her most important story beats.

As for the bolded part on the last paragraph I didn't snip, I'd like to say two things. First, while "the worst X-Men period" will obviously vary from reader to reader, IIRC the worst the X-Men have ever been sales-wise was during the IvX era and its aftermath, which coincides with the time Marvel tried to cast Frost aside... Second, I don't consider myself one of the younger fans you mentioned, I was born in the mid 80's, but of course Emma is an essential part of the X-Men for me, so much so that I take the time to discuss her in this forum more than I ever did my top 2 favorites (my boys Logan and Kurt) - not that I post much in the first place. The reason for that is that I never saw, in any other franchise I follow, a character being so important for such a long time and still NOT be considered an essential character when someone is making an adaptation (movies, games, etc) of said franchise. I started reading - coincidentally - the same year her redemption arc started, which means that ever since I started reading comics she appears monthly in the books I buy.
    Ever since 1994, Emma frost has appeared at least once a month in the comic books I read (sole exception being the post IvX era, but it was roughly a year) which can't be said about half of the cast picked for X-Men '97 - which is also the cast that is used in most other projects. For me, it doesn't matter if it's Marvel or Fox that holds the movie rights, as long as they think the X-Men are only good for nostalgia projects, the problem remains the same.

Emma and the X-Men themselves will be fine IF and when producers of whatever adaptation stop cherry picking the storylines of their childhood and finally start doing what made the X-Men big in the 90s in the first place - the amazing sinergy between all the media products.
    Last edited by OldManLogan; 10-24-2022 at 01:37 AM.

More easier.

Emma is not longer with Scott. stop tryng make "happen" they already happened and ended.

Now Emma is looking for something more American

I think the topic of fandom's treatment of creators is an important one and may deserve its own thread. There seems to be many opinions on what constitutes toxicity versus valid criticism that creators should expect and welcome.

Sidenote, I love this preview panel.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Where is it from?
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Where is it from?
    its more than likely from X-Terminators #2 which comes out tomorrow
    She's A Lifebringer

My takeaway from that is that we might get pure villain Emma in the show.

(Which might still be fun at least...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think the topic of fandom's treatment of creators is an important one and may deserve its own thread. There seems to be many opinions on what constitutes toxicity versus valid criticism that creators should expect and welcome.

Sidenote, I love this preview panel.

Ah, the corset + pants + fur cape combo! Looks amazing under Carlos Gomez' pen .

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If certain writers and fans want to live in the past, let them. I'm quite happily grounded in the present and looking forward to a Frost-White future.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

The Twitter outrage from Emma fans is literally just Stans being Stans. The notion that people on Twitter are going to have a civil and eloquent conversation is laughable. Hell, just recently we had the “try harder” Monet panel resurface and Jean Stans (not all obv) up’d the racism in response. Standoms for these comic characters can be particularly volatile. Add to the fact that his take on the whole Scott killing Xavier situation is insane. It removes agency from Scott, who, while he was controlled by a cosmic firebird, had years of the decimation arc building up to this. It also vilifies Emma in a way that makes no sense. Ignoring the fact that she was losing control and trying to get Scott to notice far before Xavier’s death, but she was adamant on the importance of Hope’s own decision on the matter as opposed to Scott who was far more militant. You can BE pro-Jott and anti Scemma, at the end of the day it’s entirely up to preference. But to have such a limited understanding of a character’s role in a decade long arc and then BE the head runner for the first Disney release piece of x-media that will feature exactly that character…you can understand why people would be concerned.

Although, I do want to note that while it happens, it doesn’t exactly make the Twitter response right obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If certain writers and fans want to live in the past, let them. I'm quite happily grounded in the present and looking forward to a Frost-White future.
    I know it’s the character name and all but “Frost-white future” lmaoooooooo I cannot ��.

Emma appears in the Invincible Iron Man trailer, not sure whats up with Tony but it looks like Emma may be giving him a helping hand in his new series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUwLkOZFxaM
    She's A Lifebringer