Default Samuel "Slam" Bradley Appreciation Thread (2022)

NOTE: Previous version of this thread can be found at https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Thread-(2021)

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXI (November 1986)

First appearance: Detective Comics #1 (March 1937)
    NOTE: That was 85 years ago, and different things that may have been common / acceptable back then may be more questionable these days.

To be continued . . .

And the later version of Slam Bradley by Darwyn Cooke:

Source: https://thrillingdetective.com/2019/...-slam-bradley/

A few more pages from his first appearance in Detective Comics #1 (March 1937) . . .

To be continued . . .

He appears in New Super Man...only to canonise his hate crimes. They also explicitly state that the Chinatown residents were being targeted because they were asian.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    He appears in New Super Man...only to canonise his hate crimes. They also explicitly state that the Chinatown residents were being targeted because they were asian.
    It's a fair thing to do as the stories exist (and eventually DC will scan and monetise them). I'd rather a writer use that/call it out than it just be swept under the rug, ignored or brushed aside by saying "it was a different time". Let's face it, there are plenty of racist stories with the A-list heroes and DC certainly weren't going to use them to address it.

That said, I only really know Slam from Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run and I liked him enough as a noir detective throwback. He was a really fun character under Brubaker and later Will Pfeifer's direction.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm not sure how "real" that was supposed to be and more just an approximation of a certain era of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure how "real" that was supposed to be and more just an approximation of a certain era of comics.
    Also, Kong Kenan wasn't exactly being told the full truth in that issue of New Super-Man as to what was actually in those original 1930s stories.

Here's where things went a little . . . differently . . . for the Bruce Nelson story from Detective Comics #1:

Love Slam Bradley in Brubaker and Cooke's run but those early comics with him are....yikes!

Did they ever try to reconcile Golden Age Slam and modern day Slam? Distant ancestor? Alternate universe?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Love Slam Bradley in Brubaker and Cooke's run but those early comics with him are....yikes!

Did they ever try to reconcile Golden Age Slam and modern day Slam? Distant ancestor? Alternate universe?
    Maybe he was Slam Bradley the 2nd while Jr. was the 3rd...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe he was Slam Bradley the 2nd while Jr. was the 3rd...
    Even with the gray temples, it wouldn't really work even back when Burbaker/Cooke's Catwoman was coming out. Plus the sliding timescale means you have to adjust his family tree again.

Just say he was named after his grandfather who was described to him as some sort of legend before he later learned of his grandfather's hate crimes and the guilt/shame from that is what contributes to his bad mood.

Look, here's what was in that issue of New Super-Man:

However, the person who was showing all this to New Super-Man was not telling the full truth and showing a very distorted view of what happened back in Detective Comics #1.

While the art may have depicted caricatures of Asian people that, unfortunately, were quite popular/common back in stories from the 1930s, it wasn't a case of Slam Bradley just visiting Chinatown to beat-up "Orientals". There were crimes going on in that area the Slam was investigating, and certain elements did not want him doing that.

Pages 8 - 10 of the Slam Bradley story in Detective Comics #1 (March 1937) . . .

To be concluded . . .

Ugh, just awful.

I'm gonna go read some Catwoman and Kenan Kong Superman just to wipe my mind.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Ugh, just awful.

I'm gonna go read some Catwoman and Kenan Kong Superman just to wipe my mind.
    Well, New Super-Man isn't much better...

I don't mind that since it's at least addressing the racism instead of being straight up racist.

And this isn't modern Slam, it's the Golden Age Slam so likely a distant ancestor of his.

I also don't mind MajorHoy posting these since at least it's educational in showing how bad things used to be.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly