Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I think the point was more Vulcan is crazy…which also won’t matter because I don’t think anyone in the writing room has any plans for that plot point and it’s just kinda sat in the background not being developed. Maybe Gillen will pick it up, maybe not.
    I do think Vulcan's one of the most underutilized and potentially interesting characters of the modern era, so I am bummed that we won't see where Hickman was building towards with that.....the only ones I really think might do an interesting job with him now AND be interested in him would be either Gillen or Ewing.

Glad that Storm idea got rejected. That would have sucked.

Shame about the space stuff we missed out on, but I’m hoping that Ewing will be able to develop it in an interesting way.

I do wish that, if Hickman knew he was leaving, he could have just written an interesting 6 issue story in X-Men, fleshing out one of his ideas like Vulcan, the vault, or more Orchus inferno buildup rather than treading water and leaving at the Gala. But that’s fine. I just want my Inferno 4 now.

My biggest take away from that was that he wanted to write a Generation X book and we were robbed of that. It explains why he had Chamber and Mondo randomly in NM

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I do think Vulcan's one of the most underutilized and potentially interesting characters of the modern era, so I am bummed that we won't see where Hickman was building towards with that.....the only ones I really think might do an interesting job with him now AND be interested in him would be either Gillen or Ewing.
    I wouldn’t discount Spurrier, yes Way of X was disappointing but I know from his Hellblazer run he can do a really good comic…but I doubt Legion of X will deal with that.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Enh!

As much as I really enjoyed his books and writing and am disappointed that he's gone without truly finalising his vision...regardless of whose "fault" that is...I'm choosing to not dwell on the what might/could have been of it all.

**** happens.

The slate of books and stories post Lives/Deaths of Wolverine still looks interesting enough for me to be invested in the foreseable future.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I dont know why (if he had so much sway at the time) why didnt he just DO like a six issue series of GenX. That would have sold like hot cakes and elevated those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    My biggest take away from that was that he wanted to write a Generation X book and we were robbed of that. It explains why he had Chamber and Mondo randomly in NM
    Not to forget that he highlighted Synch and set him up for more usage.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I don't have time for the full interview but here are a few points that stood out for me.

5) The Shi'ar book would have had Bobby and Sam.
    6) The Giant-Sized books went through a lot of changes, and it was "a little bit of a mess." See my earlier post about Storm's babby.
    "Bobby and Sam"... is that Roberto and Guthrie or Bobby Drake and Guthrie? I'm guessing you mean Iceman. Any two of three would be great. Nightcrawler in the Imperial Guard would incredible (which was not part of the discussion I'm thinking). Kurt adventuring in space with the other odd characters in the Imperial Guard is a no-brainer.

I'm in agreement that Storm with child would be a disaster! I've always thought that most parents taking care of young ones would refrain from superhero duties. If Ororo had a kid, there's no way she would recklessly keep her alter ego going, with the potential of leaving her kid an orphan like she was! Plus, she's a nurturer at heart and if/when she ever becomes a mother, she'd almost certainly embrace the role and move on in life.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I dont know why (if he had so much sway at the time) why didnt he just DO like a six issue series of GenX. That would have sold like hot cakes and elevated those characters.
    He said he'd have loved to have books for every generation, but it wasn't economical or feasible. They had to stick with what they needed. And Children of the Atom I guess. Plus he couldn't get his Imperial Guard book off the ground and his leaving messed with a lot of things. I'm guessing Synch's focus and Monet's use in HoX/PoX were at least an attempt to draw attention to them, and he trusted Tini Howard to handle Jubes and Monet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    "Bobby and Sam"... is that Roberto and Guthrie or Bobby Drake and Guthrie? I'm guessing you mean Iceman. Any two of three would be great. Nightcrawler in the Imperial Guard would incredible (which was not part of the discussion I'm thinking). Kurt adventuring in space with the other odd characters in the Imperial Guard is a no-brainer.
    I'm guessing it would be Sunspot, since he's Sam's best friend, wanted to smash some bird-woman cloaca, appeared on a HoX/PoX variant cover and whole lot of other reasons. But I'd really love to see Iceman and Nightcrawler have more space adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    I'm in agreement that Storm with child would be a disaster! I've always thought that most parents taking care of young ones would refrain from superhero duties. If Ororo had a kid, there's no way she would recklessly keep her alter ego going, with the potential of leaving her kid an orphan like she was! Plus, she's a nurturer at heart and if/when she ever becomes a mother, she'd almost certainly embrace the role and move on in life.
    To be fair, Ororo wouldn't leave her kid an orphan because she won't stay dead for more than a couple of hours. And even if she did die and stay dead, her kid would still have a ton of emotional and financial support. I don't really see Ororo being the type to abandon her frontline work for her child, since she has a big sense of duty and the power to make things happen.

But the kid being raised in the World, pulling a Cable and aging up, and then seemingly taking more precedence other Storm killed my interest in the idea.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-04-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

Oh the Bobby and Sam Imperial Guard stuff definitely was in reference to Roberto, who's a favorite of Hickman's to write.

Additionally, I'm almost POSITIVE that the Child of the Sun that Omega Sentinel referenced in Inferno #3, as wielding a piece of the Phoenix blade to kill off the last of the machine Dominions, was future Roberto. Not only did all that reference Shi'ar stuff via the Phoenix blade, and Roberto's been shown becoming more involved with the Shi'ar in the first two issues of New Mutants, the ones Hickman wrote himself.....including showing a clear romantic interest in Deathbird, whose silhouette matches one of the figures with the child of the sun mentioned by Omega Sentinel. Add in that figure's power signature bearing a clear resemblance to Roberto, and I think its likely that the future killer of the machine Dominions in Hickman's plans is an amped up Roberto wielding a Shi'ar Phoenix weapon, and the Trickster Titan that Omega Sentinel references being responsible for helping bring about that downfall AND send future Omega Sentinel's mind back in time was none other than Warlock or a Warlock/Doug/Krakoa hybrid, perhaps trying for some kind of detente or truce between machines and mutants.

But all that's total speculation on my part, tbh.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-04-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    He said he'd have loved to have books for every generation, but it wasn't economical or feasible. They had to stick with what they needed. And Children of the Atom I guess. Plus he couldn't get his Imperial Guard book off the ground and his leaving messed with a lot of things. I'm guessing Synch's focus and Monet's use in HoX/PoX were at least an attempt to draw attention to them, and he trusted Tini Howard to handle Jubes and Monet.
    Gahd damn. Each generation having their own title would have been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Gahd damn. Each generation having their own title would have been awesome.
    Just listened to the full thing on my train ride and yeah I love the sentiment behind this idea. In execution I like it better when team dynamics and types are a mix of all the generations but we know how well that goes.

Another fun tidbit, Hickman said he couldn’t talk about Danger because there might be future plans for her. Hoping Gillen gets to write her again.

All in all, this just made me more excited for Inferno tomorrow. For what comes next, I know which writers/ books do it for me and I’m excited to see what the two new voices bring to the X-office.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Just listened to the full thing on my train ride and yeah I love the sentiment behind this idea. In execution I like it better when team dynamics and types are a mix of all the generations but we know how well that goes.

Another fun tidbit, Hickman said he couldn’t talk about Danger because there might be future plans for her. Hoping Gillen gets to write her again.

All in all, this just made me more excited for Inferno tomorrow. For what comes next, I know which writers/ books do it for me and I’m excited to see what the two new voices bring to the X-office.
    Eh, whatever they have still has to be filtered through White, who based on the tenure he has had so far....good look to them. Gillen is really good and we'll see what he does. Hopefully kills fucking Sinister already, or at least gets him kicked off the Quiet Council. Or hell, I'd settle for destroying the Quiet Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Same here! I have been shocked that Danger has been sidelined in this era. Considering the threat that AI and machines are meant to represent for mutants, would she be welcome on Krakoa?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I hope they will do the character good and not leave him sidelined
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================