Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Duke thomas: We are robin, the signal, final knight appreciation 2022

Happy New Year Duke fans! Hopefully there's a solo planned for Duke this year. s/o to lemonpeace for the amazing OP

~~~~~

Created by: Scott Snyder (writer) Greg Capullo (artist)

First Appearance: Batman Vol 2 #21 (August 2013).

Powers: Duke is a metahuman with the ability to manipulate, absorb, and redistribute both light and shadow.

Duke's powers are photokinetic in nature and his primary ability allows him to concentrate light through his eyes and manipulate the way the light is processed for a variety of visual tasks; with his most notable ability being his Ghost Vision. By manipulating the way he processes light, Duke can perceive the "ghosts" of where light has been in his vicinity and see a few minutes into the past, or glimpse into the future by sensing the "ghost" of where light will be. Duke's precognitive abilities give him an edge in combat, being able to react faster to attacks than normally possible and even catch projectiles in midair. Duke's photokinetic-based vision can also be used in a variety of more practical ways. Duke can manipulate the way he processes light to see beyond the known Electromagnetic spectrum; follow and detect someone through walls, ceilings, smoke and most materials; track the movement of light; and can even focus his vision to see at a great distance or percieve extremely small objects down to the subdermal level.

After experiencing the touch of Ishmael, Duke's powers "evolved" to manipulating darkness as well as light. Duke can now pull shadows into himself, revealing more light, or generate darkness from himself, like a tide enveloping everything in darkness. Duke can also charge up his darkness before sending it at a out. he can also shape and move shadow, which he can use to augment his hand to hand combat. Duke can traverse through shadow (and light) and can also use his shadows to transport other people.

Duke's unique metahuman physiology gives him an affinity for Nth metal, often becoming reactive in the presence of powerful forms of Nth and/or 8th metal. Particularly potent forms of Nth metal can amplify his visions, allowing longer more vivid visions into the past, across dimensions, and he can even hearing some audio.

Essential Reading

We are Robin (2015) #1-12 written by Lee Bermejo, art by Khary Randolph
    • Robin War (2016) written by Various Writers, art by Various Artists
    Dark Days: The Forge & The Casting (2017) #1 written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV art by Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, and John Romita Jr.
    • Immortal Men (2018) #1-6 written by James Tynion IV, art by Ryan Benjamin & Jim Lee
    Batman and The Signal (2018) #1-3 story by Scott Snyder, written by Tony Patrick, art by Cully Hamner
    Batman & the Outsiders (2019) #1-17 written by Bryan Edward Hill, art by Dexter Soy & Veronica Gandini
    "The Quiet Ones" - Dark Nights: Death Metal - Robin King (2020) #1 written by Tony Patrick art by Danial Sampere
    Tales from The Dark Multiverse: METAL (2020) #1 written by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly art by Karl Mostert
    "Outsiders" - Future State: The Next Batman (2021) #1 & #3 written by Brandon Thomas art by Sumit Kumar
    Batman: Secret Files - The Signal (2021) #1 written by Tony Patrick art by
    "The Fearful" - Batman: Urban Legends (2021) #8-9 written by Brandon Thomas by Cian Tormey

[stay woke Mr. Thomas, stay woke...]

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)

Link to the 2018 thread
    Link to the 2019 thread
    Link to the 2020 thread
    Link to the 2021 thread
    Last edited by 9th.; 01-05-2022 at 08:48 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Happy 2022 ! Here's to a new year, new adventures !

Last edited by ZuLuLu; 01-03-2022 at 12:29 PM.

damn, I meant to make this thread. I feel a lil slighted but touché; beat me to the punch. nonetheless, hears hoping for a great year for Duke Thomas!

2021 was probably the best year we've had for Duke in a while;
    • started 2021 coming off Tales from The Dark Multiverse and his story in Robin King
    • then we had Future State, which gave us a solid new direction for Duke with the Outsiders
    • then we had Secret Files, was still a solid addition to Duke's catalog
    • He got his first cameo on TV on Titans and the announcement of Duke as Robin on Batwheels
    • Waynes Family Adventures dropped, which has shone a massive light on his character; which almost got us a pretty major live action adaptation for Duke.
    • then we got a follow up to the Future State: Outsiders story in Batman: Urban Legends; another solid entry into his catalog
    • and he made an appearance in Dark Knights of Steel

even tho there hasn't been word of anything new featuring Duke yet, I'm hoping they continue his momentum this year. I'm still anticipating Brandon Thomas is gonna do some kind of title for the Outsiders to follow up Future State and Urban Legends, which would almost certainly be Duke-centric in some capacity. I really hope we see Duke appear in the second half of Young Justice and I would like DC to just give Tony Patrick a mini so he can conclude his little Duke saga. he probably shoulda used Secret Files to wrap things up, and i feel like i say something to this affect every year, but DC just needs to give Tony Patrick a mini (the 6 issues he was initially supposed to get for Batman and The Signal) so he can close the book on Duke's origin/rookie phase as the Signal. the Gnomon and Elaine stuff needs to be resolved so Duke's origin story and overall character can feel more complete. between Secret Files, Future State, and Urban Legends, Duke is excruciatingly close to being in enough material to be collected in trade one way or another, they might as well just give Patrick 6 issues, bundle that with Secret Files (maybe throw the Quiet Ones in there too) and put out a new Duke trade since it could bolster his appearance on any future Outsiders stories. I would love to see a Duke trade by year's end.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    damn, I meant to make this thread. I feel a lil slighted but touché; beat me to the punch. nonetheless, hears hoping for a great year for Duke Thomas!

Oh believe me I wanted you to make the thread, I figured you got busy with real life stuff. I was actually going to make it yesterday but decided to wait a while longer so no slight was intended.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Oh believe me I wanted you to make the thread, I figured you got busy with real life stuff. I was actually going to make it yesterday but decided to wait a while longer so no slight was intended.
    nah it's all good, I was procrastinating on it xD I like to do thorough OPs, which take time, so I was dragging my feet lol no hard feelings.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

nah it's all good, I was procrastinating on it xD I like to do thorough OPs, which take time, so I was dragging my feet lol no hard feelings.
    I like thorough OPs as well but i've never been good at making them. If you ever get time to make a new OP i'll gladly update it

Ultimate Member

2021 was probably the best year we've had for Duke in a while;
    • started 2021 coming off Tales from The Dark Multiverse and his story in Robin King
    • then we had Future State, which gave us a solid new direction for Duke with the Outsiders
    • then we had Secret Files, was still a solid addition to Duke's catalog
    • He got his first cameo on TV on Titans and the announcement of Duke as Robin on Batwheels
    • Waynes Family Adventures dropped, which has shone a massive light on his character; which almost got us a pretty major live action adaptation for Duke.
    • then we got a follow up to the Future State: Outsiders story in Batman: Urban Legends; another solid entry into his catalog
    • and he made an appearance in Dark Knights of Steel

Imaginext released a new Duke figure in 2021 that could light up on one of the Batman Bat-Tech Batcave set.

This is his third figure.

Only sold in Imaginext BAT-TECH MULTI-PACK Batman, Nightwing, The Signal, Joker & Bane

I'd be down for a Signal tv show. He's light on material but I think there's enough there for a writer to reverse engineer a show from.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd be down for a Signal tv show. He's light on material but I think there's enough there for a writer to reverse engineer a show from.
    I know some people have been floating the idea that maybe Duke could/should be the "rebellious adopted son of Bruce Wayne" that's supposed to be the lead of Gotham Knights from it's plot synopsis. it's not likely but it wouldn't be too surprising if the CW actually did it. who knows how good or bad that project might end up being, but it would be a MASSIVE massive look for Duke. I'd even tune in out of morbid curiosity.

that aside, I think between We are Robin, his nameless period, then him actually becoming Signal, and then his time with the Outsiders; there is enough material to put a show together. most of these superhero properties do their own plots anyway, so it's not like he needs an extensive catalog of stories for them to adapt. he has enough to color in his character and inspire for original storylines for a TV show. while I wouldn't complain if he got one, I personally would really want them to tie up the loose ends from Duke's solo (complete his origin story) before they attempt any kind of Signal show.

I like thorough OPs as well but i've never been good at making them. If you ever get time to make a new OP i'll gladly update it
    I got ya. I'll DM it to you
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-04-2022 at 07:12 PM.

currently following:

Happy New Year Duke fans! Hopefully there's a solo planned for Duke this year.

When was he wearing the costume from the middle picture?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    When was he wearing the costume from the middle picture?
    Its from the final issue of We Are Robin

Wishing Duke and all Duke fans the very best in 2022.

2021 was a great year for Duke crossing over. The webtoons has really raised his profile and that promises to continue with the upcoming animated series.

I hope 2022 continues this trend.

I'm with everyone opinion for the webtoon. That it is doing Duke character a good service. And allowing others to be seen outside of the costume. Which I think why part of manga is succeeding.

Duke as Robin sketch by @Sktchhero

currently following:

Astonishing Member

Duke as Robin sketch by @Sktchhero
    Oh my goodness! This is so beautiful! Not only is the eye mask excellent, but him having his entire lower face covered works so well. I love the look! Robin's tapping into the ninja feel is always awesome; this is a very good "!hat if?" Robin look for Duke!