Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

decided to try my hand at making a Signal variant of Sktchhero's Duke design
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    decided to try my hand at making a Signal variant of Sktchhero's Duke design
    Neat! Love the sun-yellow with that facemask!

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Neat! Love the sun-yellow with that facemask!
    I'm absolutely in love with this mask design. I'm firmly on the maskless/public face idea for Duke (it makes sense because his eyes absorb sunlight, less interference the better) but i would not complain if they gave Duke something like this.

In terms of headgear, if he has to have it, lower face masks are the ones i'd be the most down for; in either gold or black and yellow. my ideal would be something like this (this is an edit I did for an unrelated Duke concept/pitch that crossed my mind a little while ago).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2022 at 12:51 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Duke as The Signal by @Cap_White as part of an ongoing Black History Month collaboration between various artists highlighting black heroes

currently following:

Duke Thomas as Robin in Batman: Beyond the White Knight #4

and a little secret origin about Duke; turns out Sean Murphy had a hand in Duke's inception.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-17-2022 at 06:59 PM.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

Duke Thomas as Robin in Batman: the Beyond White Knight #4

and a little secret origin about Duke; turns out Sean Murphy may had a hand in Duke's inception.
    Funny the comic book side did not mind a black Robin but the movie side did and had to pay Marlon Wayans and waste a costume for his role in Batman Returns and Forever. That he never got to play.

At least now certain other fandoms can stop viewing Duke's creation as an attack to replace someone and he's some failed character.

and a little secret origin about Duke; turns out Sean Murphy had a hand in Duke's inception.

I'm hoping We Are Robin members pop up.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-17-2022 at 03:53 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

That's a pretty cool story! I did really like Duke in the White Knight series, and think this is definitely a fun idea to explore there with apparently his co-creator!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Duke as The Signal by @Cap_White as part of an ongoing Black History Month collaboration between various artists highlighting black heroes

Very epic Signal pic!

Astonishing Member

I kind of recall hearing Sean Murphy being behind the inception of what would become Duke somewhere. Not sure where or when, but I certainly recall hearing about how the pic of a Black Robin got posted on Twitter, then that led to the whole thing with DC saying "you shoulda told us first." I agree with Sean Murphy here when he says that having a Black Robin isn't something you need to have an entire meeting over. (Especially one that would have likely nipped the idea in the bud.)

Interesting that he had being pushing to make his White Knight version of Duke into his own version of Robin. Gotta say, I was so-so with the "adult Duke as a Luke Cage" take, and mostly watched from the sidelines, but the idea of a burly hunk-man Robin Duke is appealing to me. (I love the idea of Duke becoming a brawn-stud when he reaches his full adult body.) I rolled my eyes at his team talking him out of things twice, though. The whole "grown man can't be Robin" excuse is really telling on themselves that they have a very narrow and extremely dated perception of Robin and who he can be and what he has been. (Seriously, when was the last time you saw pixie boots Robin in a contemporary piece of art that wasn't from an overly nostalgic fanart work? Not even Dick's worn that as Robin anymore, as far as modern continuity goes.)

Kinda curious about the new White Knight, now.

images of a cool fan made Duke figure

currently following:

I haven't seen anyone post about it yet, but McFarlane Toys is producing a Last Knight Duke Thomas figure as a part of their DC Multiverse line. It looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Astonishing Member

images of a cool fan made Duke figure
    I love see these fan-made Duke things! I think the first action figure of Duke was also a cool fan-made one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    I haven't seen anyone post about it yet, but McFarlane Toys is producing a Last Knight Duke Thomas figure as a part of their DC Multiverse line. It looks good.
    Woah, that's neat!

is Duke in any video games yet?