Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Khalid Nassour: Dr. Fate Appreciation 2022

I’m glad to see Khalid, nephew of Kent Nelson, going places after first appearing in the DCyou era. Got a little worried for him but after joining the Justice League Dark things have been going well for him as the current Doctor Fate, of course sharing time with his uncle Kent. Plus he now even has an outer media appearance in Young Justice as Doctor Fate.

Just remember to be nice because he can see us as readers.

Last edited by sifighter; 01-03-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Khalid with a new Spectre:

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That art looks great....also has there ever been a female spectre?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    That art looks great....also has there ever been a female spectre?
    Madame Xanadu briefly was in Doug Monech's run in Spectre Vol 2:

Love what they did with him in young justice

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Couldn't agree more, the way they were able to tie him into Kent Nelson much like in the comics but also focus in what he aspires to be as a doctor, homo magi, and muslim in episode 4X11 was absolutely perfect. Plus it all gets him to the point where he is Dr. Fate like in the comics....kind of.

Last edited by sifighter; 01-03-2022 at 08:17 PM.
    Words to live by.

So I guess Justice League Dark is done for now, wait and see if/when it comes back considering the main Justice League is getting killed off. But you know what I hope that we see plenty more of Khalid, not just in the Justice League but solo as well. Heck maybe in Justice League or JSA proper (I’ve had a personal opinion that Khalid belongs on the JSA for a while now).

Although I get the feeling with the whole future visions thing we will see Khalid again very soon.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-26-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    Words to live by.

Hmmm, it seems we don't have a general Dr Fate thread anymore.

I did a restrospective of the various Dr Fate on aboutzatanna: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/abo...0?source=share

I also included a recommended reading section at the bottom. If there is anything you would like to add/remove/update from it, do let me know.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hmmm, it seems we don't have a general Dr Fate thread anymore.

I did a restrospective of the various Dr Fate on aboutzatanna: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/abo...0?source=share

I also included a recommended reading section at the bottom. If there is anything you would like to add/remove/update from it, do let me know.
    Always up for a good retrospective on my favorite character, so that's a link saved!

I've been working on my own post for Khalid Nassour because while I think Justice League: Dark did him a lot of good as a character, especially in the exposure department which I think is responsible for him appearing in other things like YJ, I also think it started to do him a lot of bad towards the end of the run because it killed off his core cast (Kent Nelson and Nabu) and was going to take away more (like the Tower of Fate) Because it was an ensemble story, there was also no real exploration of his grief and him overcoming it (as well as the obvious guilt he'd feel over Kent's death due its circumstances)

Basically, Khalid became a legacy character who was losing his legacy (and he still hasn't gotten what he lost back)

I'm also working on a post that delves into Khalid Nassour as a legacy character including in relation to Kent Nelson. Doctor Fate is a character that lends itself well to certain kinds of legacy stories like *generational trauma.

Kent Nelson's story is basically rooted in trauma and abuse; it dates all the way back to when Kent first met Nabu. Being Doctor Fate is an emotionally and psychologically destructive burden that Kent can't escape and repeatedly feared would take away his humanity. In at least one story, he found his worst fear was coming true and he was becoming something undefined because he had carried the burden for so long. He can never escape it because Nabu will never allow it and he is shackled to it by the very same thing that makes him a good hero: he's too kind a person to leave the world undefended from horror.

Kent finally gets to be free of that burden, gets to be free of Nabu's abusive presence, gets a chance to honestly live his life... only, he finds, because the burden has passed on to his unassuming nephew who doesn't know what it's really like - doesn't know what Nabu is really like. Kent can't and won't just walk away, but he also doesn't have to return to being Doctor Fate: he can pass his experiences on to Khalid and teach him, so he doesn't fall victim to the same things that Kent did. He can break the cycle that Nabu perpetuates.

In that way, I feel Khalid as Doctor Fate is also a good continuation of Kent's story.

*Doubly so, if you throw in that the reason Khalid's mother dislikes magic so much is because she saw how it affected Inza and Kent.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-23-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Khalid is definitely the most 'superhero' out of all the Dr Fates.

Kent and Inza leaned more towards horror and everyone else had a dash of that plus surrealism.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Love this guy. Especially his Young Justice version.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Khalid is definitely the most 'superhero' out of all the Dr Fates.

Kent and Inza leaned more towards horror and everyone else had a dash of that plus surrealism.
    Kent's always felt pretty Superhero to me but I might be talking more his media appearances and JSA stuff than his solo Dr. Fate stories.

I wonder if he'll pop up in Black Adam
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I wonder if he'll pop up in Black Adam
    I'm curious what Priest's take on Khalid would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This looks cool. I prefer Khalid in more street clothes than spandex.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    It was a good introduction despite being in a lackluster arc. I wouldn't mind if his friendships with Traci, Mari, and Zatanna crosses over.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-28-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kent's always felt pretty Superhero to me but I might be talking more his media appearances and JSA stuff than his solo Dr. Fate stories.
    No, his solo series had potential for horror, but I wouldn't really call it horror. Khalid's basically getting hunted by the forces of Anubis due to a curse while the city is gradually drowning in a flood. At the end of the Anubis arc, Khalid dies (he gets better) and is conscious, but can't move while Anubis removes his heart to weigh it and scams the result to condemn Khalid. During the arc, he also heals his father (who was in a car crash due to the minions of Anubis) but loses his eyesight (it doesn't last long)

There were some moments that I liked, but the solo series can basically be summed up as "Good ideas, boring execution." Also, for some reason, they decided to put Khalid in New York instead of Doctor Fate's Salem, which is just a bad idea. While he has his moments, I also prefer the Khalid(s) in JLD to the Khalid in solo series.

(I'm saying Khalid(s) because Khalid basically ages down and gets a personality change after the Lord of Order arc. He doesn't become a bad character, but he is different from the LoO Khalid)

I think Doctor Fate is a character that can work as horror and superhero or either or, but I think the character is best off having its horror elements because those are what helps distinguish it and give it its own identity.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-28-2022 at 09:59 AM.