Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Couldn't agree more, the way they were able to tie him into Kent Nelson much like in the comics but also focus in what he aspires to be as a doctor, homo magi, and muslim in episode 4X11 was absolutely perfect. Plus it all gets him to the point where he is Dr. Fate like in the comics....kind of.

Even as a Muslim fan I thought it was corny. But it grew on me over time.

I kind of wish he became Fate full time or Nabu changed the terms of agreement. For all that that happened in the story arc; the destruction of several landmarks worldwide and the Tower of Fate getting destroyed, there was very little change in the character's status quo. All that just resulted in Nabu agreeing to time share his duty with 4 others.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I kind of wish he became Fate full time or Nabu changed the terms of agreement. For all that that happened in the story arc; the destruction of several landmarks worldwide and the Tower of Fate getting destroyed, there was very little change in the character's status quo. All that just resulted in Nabu agreeing to time share his duty with 4 others.
    Classic YJ.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with this.

Character-wise for Khalid, it would feel more fulfilling, and in turn more enjoyable as a fan of Khalid's Dr. Fate, if he would have become Dr. Fate full-time and if the terms of being Dr. Fate in Young Justice were changed such that Khalid was able to have a relevant amount of control and agency over being Dr. Fate while being Dr. Fate, so that Nabu wouldn't just be using Khalid as his personal person-shaped rideshare.

'Cause in the comics, in Khalid's comic, Khalid was allowed to be Dr. Fate, and by and large was in control, both in the best and worst of what he went through as Dr. Fate. So as much as I appreciate the exposure for Khalid's character in general, I'm hesitant to celebrate Young Justice's Khalid when it's not actually Khalid who's allowed to be Dr. Fate. It's neither full-time nor at his own discretion. Which rather hampers the wish-fulfillment aspect of it, of having an actual Egyptian-American be the Egyptian-themed Dr. Fate.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-28-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Well, it would be nice to see Fate be more useful in the YJ-verse...especially in comparison to their handling of him in the magic arc.

The dream is real.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Makes sense that when the JSA finally came back, Khalid would join them. I imagine he'll pal up with Jakeem, the only other teenage boy on the team.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Makes sense that when the JSA finally came back, Khalid would join them. I imagine he'll pal up with Jakeem, the only other teenage boy on the team.
    Khalid’s a medical student so wouldn’t that actually make him mid-20’s? Because he’s a graduate student in DCyour run meaning he’s had to have passed college and be 21 at minimum. He might be closer in age to Cyclone who last I checked was also a college student.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

The dream is real.
    It's nice to see the JSA again. I'm not expecting Khalid will get much pagetime, but I'm just happy he's there.

I'm still hoping the editors will have forgotten he lost Nabu and the Tower of Fate (and that Kent's dead)

Khalid’s a medical student so wouldn’t that actually make him mid-20’s? Because he’s a graduate student in DCyour run meaning he’s had to have passed college and be 21 at minimum. He might be closer in age to Cyclone who last I checked was also a college student.
    He should be in his twenties, but at one point, Diana refers to him as a teenager in JLD - it's not by name, but she couldn't be talking about anyone else - yet Khalid tells Clark that he used to be a medical student in a Superman crossover. The crossover was, however, written by Brian Bendis who, as evident by the JL-JLD crossover, used the oudated DCYou instead of the recent JLD for Khalid without doing fact-checking.

Khalid did seem to get aged down in JLD after the Lord of Orders arc, but I can't tell if that's where the confusion comes from, if the editors just can't be bothered to keep track of things or if Bendis got it wrong and the editers just couldn't be bothered.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-01-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    It's nice to see the JSA again. I'm not expecting Khalid will get much pagetime, but I'm just happy he's there.

I'm still hoping the editors will have forgotten he lost Nabu and the Tower of Fate (and that Kent's dead)

He should be in his twenties, but at one point, Diana refers to him as a teenager in JLD - it's not by name, but she couldn't be talking about anyone else - yet Khalid tells Clark that he used to be a medical student in a Superman crossover. The crossover was, however, written by Brian Bendis who, as evident by the JL-JLD crossover, used the oudated DCYou instead of the recent JLD for Khalid without doing fact-checking.

Khalid did seem to get aged down in JLD after the Lord of Orders arc, but I can't tell if that's where the confusion comes from, if the editors just can't be bothered to keep track of things or if Bendis got it wrong and the editers just couldn't be bothered.
    Well, we have to admit that Diana is super old (she was around WW2 in the comics and according to recent changes was the one that inspired the JSA founders), so she is like a super grandma in a bikini armor, almost everybody is a kid or a teenager for her lmao.

For once let's say that Bendis did his homework and guessed right Khalid's age.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He is Nelson's nephew? Was that in the original series?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post

I'm just gonna say he's a prodigy until confirmed otherwise...

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    For once let's say that Bendis did his homework and guessed right Khalid's age.
    Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He is Nelson's nephew? Was that in the original series?
    Grandnephew in both DCYou run and in Young Justice, but who his mom is related to is different. I don't remember if it's stated somewhere in Justice League: Dark, but I presume he's still Kent's grandnephew.

In DCYou, Kent is his mom's uncle (his mom has blonde hair) while in Young Justice, Inza is his mom's aunt (his mom has red hair)

I think they should just streamline and make his mom Kent and Inza's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm just gonna say he's a prodigy until confirmed otherwise...
    I don't have any strong preferences myself because both stories have potential, but I like him having some medical knowledge that he applies.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-01-2022 at 06:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, Khalid should be early-twenties at absolute youngest, depending on how quickly he started college and how well he was doing in undergraduate and the like to this point.

Just heard a new Geoff Johns interview from Comic Pals, sounds like Geoff Johns is keeping Khalid. From the basement of the Hall of Justice to the JSA brownstone, way to go Khalid.
    Words to live by.