View Poll Results: Do You Agree That They Couldn’t Do Better Than Molina And Dafoe?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They’re The Only Ones Who Could Play The Parts

17 28.33%
  • No. Feige Is Mistaken.

37 61.67%
  • I’m Not Sure.

6 10.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think new actors could take the roles and do well. However, on seeing the movie, you can tell there is a reason that these specific actors still cast such a long shadow so many years later.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

They weren't until No Way Home. Enough time had passed to where they probably could recast without much of a reaction. However, I think it will be a real long time before you get these versions out of the publics mind.

In particular Dafoe. He arguably did an even better job in 2021 than he did 2002. I feel like his Green Goblin is THE Spider-man villain now. And in one movie he become one of the MCU best villains.

If they decide to do these villains again, it should be different iterations/versions. If they do a Goblin, it should be Hobgoblin. If they do Ock, I feel like it will be lady Ock.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 01-06-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    They weren't until No Way Home. Enough time had passed to where they probably could recast without much of a reaction. However, I think it will be a real long time before you get these versions out of the publics mind.

In particular Dafoe. He arguably did an even better job in 2021 than he did 2002. I feel like his Green Goblin is THE Spider-man villain now. And in one movie he become one of the MCU best villains.

If they decide to do these villains again, it should be different iterations/versions. If they do a Goblin, it should be Hobgoblin. If they do Ock, I feel like it will be lady Ock.
    Definitely in the context of MCU Hollands' story we're probably not likely to see GG or Doc Ock again, at least close to the standard versions, because now those are the Raimi versions.

I feel like he deserved his own versions of those characters but it ended up working out as well as it could have under the circumstances.

They were well cast and brought their parts alive, especially Dafoe, but I don't see how we should accept a new Spider-Man (let alone two) but not one of his villains?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    In hindsight, this mentality is partly to blame for how both of the post-Raimi reboots turned out. Both Sony and Feige started out with this implicit mindset that Spidey's best live-action days are behind him and that there is no way to top what came before. It's clear when you look at how reactionary each series was in trying differentiate themselves from Raimi.
    I agree with that, and I think the biggest example is probably Jameson. The Amazing movies only hinted at him because they knew they couldn't top the previous version, and when it was time for him to be brought into the MCU, they just use Simmons again?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would like to see a movie version of Ock that's a crime boss and outright leading the Sinister Six, or a Green Goblin in a more Spectacular-style costume.
    Doc Ock needs to be nasty, which wasn't what they went for with Molina. He was leaning a little towards Curt Connors in Spider-Man 2. Which is why it sucks George Stacy died fighting the Lizard in Amazing Spider-Man. We need to see a Dr. Octopus to kill a George Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post

It's a bit of a downside for Marvel that they have definitive live action versions without having had any companion versions in twenty years. DC can have a Deathstroke in their movie universe, a Deathstroke in their CW shows, and a Deathstroke on their streaming service all within a few years of each other. Marvel has really put all their eggs in one basket with Spider-Man villains.

Irreplaceable? No, but whether by accident or design, it forced movie creators to dig deep into the archives and not rely on the same core set of villains, which was ultimately a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It's a bit of a downside for Marvel that they have definitive live action versions without having had any companion versions in twenty years. DC can have a Deathstroke in their movie universe, a Deathstroke in their CW shows, and a Deathstroke on their streaming service all within a few years of each other. Marvel has really put all their eggs in one basket with Spider-Man villains.
    Or the MCU in general, where everything has to revolve around, be based on, or be inspired by the MCU.

Or the MCU in general, where everything has to revolve around, be based on, or be inspired by the MCU.
    Which makes comic fans groan in annoyance 'cause MCU is rather bland and limiting, and that makes comics' quality drop even further lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Oi, remember the embargoes of the past? Where if there was a movie production that even had a THOUGHT of using a character then that character could not be used in any form of media (as they thought it'd be confusing for kids). Even as a kid I understood that the Penguin from Batman the Animated Series was a completely different version than the one from Batman Returns (namely he acted completely different and Returns' version died). Heck it's why Hydroman was used in Spider-Man the Animated series instead of Sandman due to James Cameron's unproduced film.

I don't think that Molina and Dafoe are irreplaceable for those characters, but I will say that they may have been the best that the MCU could have produced...They couldn't be shackled to the MCU's top technology enterprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Which makes comic fans groan in annoyance 'cause MCU is rather bland and limiting, and that makes comics' quality drop even further lol.
    I get bad Jeph Loeb Marvel cartoons flashbacks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Oi, remember the embargoes of the past? Where if there was a movie production that even had a THOUGHT of using a character then that character could not be used in any form of media (as they thought it'd be confusing for kids). Even as a kid I understood that the Penguin from Batman the Animated Series was a completely different version than the one from Batman Returns (namely he acted completely different and Returns' version died). Heck it's why Hydroman was used in Spider-Man the Animated series instead of Sandman due to James Cameron's unproduced film.

I don't think that Molina and Dafoe are irreplaceable for those characters, but I will say that they may have been the best that the MCU could have produced...They couldn't be shackled to the MCU's top technology enterprises.
    Just recently I found out Marvel Studios wouldn't let the team from the Hit-Monkey cartoon use Bullseye, for some reason, so they suggested Lady Bullseye instead. Although that actually worked out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Irreplaceable? No, but whether by accident or design, it forced movie creators to dig deep into the archives and not rely on the same core set of villains, which was ultimately a good thing.
    This I agree with. I'm personally glad the MCU gave good takes on Vulture and Mysterio over returning to Doc Ock or Goblin. Similarly, I'd love to see Batman tackle villains we haven't seen on screen before like Clayface so I'm jealous of Spider-fans in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    The funny thing about that mentality is that they don't care when the same heroes get different origins, settings and interactions with characters, so using villains can be too confusing, but everything else that is shared being different, isn't? Lol

I get bad Jeph Loeb Marvel cartoons flashbacks...
    He's out now right? If so, maybe next decade we'll get a cartoon worth a damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Incredible Member

I think it might be cool to bring Dafoe back again but this time have him play the MCU version of Norman. Instead of taking the serum himself he could create Hobgoblin and play the more calculated government official, manipulator iteration of the character. I think this is version of the character that could become a great overall MCU antagonist and Dafoe could paly him for years regardless of age since he is not involved in a lot of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    This I agree with. I'm personally glad the MCU gave good takes on Vulture and Mysterio over returning to Doc Ock or Goblin. Similarly, I'd love to see Batman tackle villains we haven't seen on screen before like Clayface so I'm jealous of Spider-fans in that regard
    Superman fans keep waiting for him to finally fight Brainiac in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I voted NO, but it’s really yes and no for me.

Yes, the actors did a great job, and I’ll always love them in the roles but, recasting isn’t off the table. I’m sure actors could do good jobs.

I mean we’ve had 3 live action Spideys, 5 if you count Danny Seagren and Nicholas Hammond.
    A half dozen 007s, prob. three times that many Sherlock Holmeses…and so on

I'm currently rewatching the Nicholas Hammond episodes on youtube for the first time in 30+ years... and he DEFINITELY counts. Special Effects are cheesy naturally... but Hammonds performance as Peter/Spidey is top notch. Possibly my favorite version right now.

On one hand, they probably could have recast those characters.

On the other hand, if they did, they wouldn't be able to avoid comparisons. Whoever they did cast would have big shoes to fill. Also it depends on the story. If they still wanted to use the old versions of said characters, then I can imagine it wouldn't have gone over all that well