View Poll Results: Do You Agree That They Couldn’t Do Better Than Molina And Dafoe?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They’re The Only Ones Who Could Play The Parts

17 28.33%
  • No. Feige Is Mistaken.

37 61.67%
  • I’m Not Sure.

6 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Spot is one of the many, many Spidey villains with a dangerous power but he's too dumb to use it properly.

Look at the likes of Sandman and Hydro Man, those two should be dangerous enough, but they hardly use the powers properly lol.

Spot, in theory no door, wall or whatever should ever get in his way, so that's terrifying enough, and in theory, him closing a portal or something, or someone, yeah...
    Heh, this is true. Hydroman has actually said a few times he's really not trying. fighting spidey is a game to him, a hobby he does , and he doesn't really care.

Astonishing Member

Yes and no.

In general, I strongly believe in the principal that no actor is greater than the character.

That said, the Raimi Spider-Man movies are still very much at the forefront of the popular consciousness when it comes to Spider-Man adaptations and, for better or worse, are still considered the gold standard for the character on film. The core target audience for the MCU today are people who grew up watching the Raimi films. So it makes sense that Marvel would hesitate to recast Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock.

The same applies to a bunch of other characters - RDJ as Iron Man, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool etc. These iterations of the character are just so ingrained in people's minds that it'd be extremely difficult for a new actor to make a mark.

I think it comes down to how exposed audiences are to multiple iterations. We're used to Batman and Superman being recast all the time. Or the Joker. Or Spider-Man. But we're not used to seeing Wolverine and Iron Man being recast.

Somewhere, a decision needs to be made to recast these characters. And it inevitably will be made. But for now, I can understand Feige wanting to hold off on doing that. Especially since Dafoe's Goblin has now been cemented as an iconic MCU villain.

And the plus side of not wanting to recast is that it forces the creators to dip into the well of the Spidey mythos and find villains who haven't been seen on-screen yet. Every time the Joker or Penguin gets recast, as great as it is, we miss out on the chance to see Clayface or the Mad Hatter or Hugo Strange in live-action. If we keep getting Green Goblin recasts, we probably won't get Hobgoblin on screen. And so on...

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yes and no.

In general, I strongly believe in the principal that no actor is greater than the character.

That said, the Raimi Spider-Man movies are still very much at the forefront of the popular consciousness when it comes to Spider-Man adaptations and, for better or worse, are still considered the gold standard for the character on film. The core target audience for the MCU today are people who grew up watching the Raimi films. So it makes sense that Marvel would hesitate to recast Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock.

The same applies to a bunch of other characters - RDJ as Iron Man, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool etc. These iterations of the character are just so ingrained in people's minds that it'd be extremely difficult for a new actor to make a mark.

I think it comes down to how exposed audiences are to multiple iterations. We're used to Batman and Superman being recast all the time. Or the Joker. Or Spider-Man. But we're not used to seeing Wolverine and Iron Man being recast.

Somewhere, a decision needs to be made to recast these characters. And it inevitably will be made. But for now, I can understand Feige wanting to hold off on doing that. Especially since Dafoe's Goblin has now been cemented as an iconic MCU villain.

And the plus side of not wanting to recast is that it forces the creators to dip into the well of the Spidey mythos and find villains who haven't been seen on-screen yet. Every time the Joker or Penguin gets recast, as great as it is, we miss out on the chance to see Clayface or the Mad Hatter or Hugo Strange in live-action. If we keep getting Green Goblin recasts, we probably won't get Hobgoblin on screen. And so on...
    I remember people speculating MCU Osborn would do a slow-burn into Green Goblin with them playing up the Dark Reign elements initially to set him apart, and that would've been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, this is true. Hydroman has actually said a few times he's really not trying. fighting spidey is a game to him, a hobby he does , and he doesn't really care.
    Is it a hobby of his' to get himself electrocuted too? .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember people speculating MCU Osborn would do a slow-burn into Green Goblin with them playing up the Dark Reign elements initially to set him apart, and that would've been interesting.
    Well, MCU already used Raimi's GG and Spidey Home 3 points out there's no Oscorp, so it sounds like Norman is out of the picture.

Maybe they'll do it like that Spidey cartoon that had Vulture becoming Goblin King, and have him become Iron Patriot .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Is it a hobby of his' to get himself electrocuted too? .
    You can be bad at your hobby but still enjoy it. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Maybe they'll do it like that Spidey cartoon that had Vulture becoming Goblin King, and have him become Iron Patriot .
    I could write an entire essay as to why this really didn't work.