Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    He is definitely one of the best glad you said something i was stunned. His layouts, his character designs. i mean Adam is a old ass man that's part of his charm, he wasn't 20 when he got his powers. lol. I like the idea of Storm with a Zaddy. lol
    I agree. I don't mind him looking older at all.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Rodriguez's characters can be a bit off sometimes, especially with his obsession of closed eyes, but a bad artist?
    IMO, he is one of the best right now. And not just now, actually.
    I'm familiar with his work. Both assertions can be true.

Maybe he has shown "the gift" with past projects, but he did not acquit himself very well with that cover. Galactus' mother and Loki look like they ordered a double of the "special brownies" and then visited the same unlicensed plastic surgeon. And Blue Marvel looks like someone's over the hill crazy drunk uncle who forgot to take his meds. Or drink his Metamucil.

And what the hell is going on with their legs? Tigra's is awkwardly angled and all of their legs look like the composition looks like the artist had spaghetti on his mind. If this was a movie and the director shouted "Action!" they'd all trip over each other. It's a bad look.

But it happens. Even for great artists. It's too bad, Alex Meleev, Dike Ruan, or Kenneth Rocafort weren't available for this project. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope there's a variant cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    i mean Adam is a old ass man that's part of his charm, he wasn't 20 when he got his powers. lol.
    Stop it.

Adam was in his early 30s when he got his powers. Now he is supposed to look physically like a man that is in his 40s. Namor, who is also "long-lived" is older than Adam, but looks younger and more virile. I bet no artist ever draws long-lived heroes like him like he's a doddering old man. Wonder why that is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Adam being a man with silver streaks. At least not anymore. It works for Superman. But then, no one draws Earth 2 Superman like he's a doddering old man, either. Somehow this artist's style makes Adam look like he should be headed to a convalescent home for busted up and broken down retired heroes. I'm betting that's not what Grevioux had in mind.

Hopefully, that cover is just a one off and the artist does a better job of rendering Adam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, I think that my son is a better artist! Anyway, I got a bad feeling upon seeing Ms. (I'll take the whole team down myself) America again paired with Adam. What's up with Ewing he gets GOTG, and then SWORD both with great support and art. He then waits for something wack and then he includes Adam???
    I don't understand it, either. After all, Al Ewing said that he was fresh out of ideas for Blue Marvel. No, I don't know how that could be possible, either, since he seemed to lavish some pretty damn good material on franchise characters like the Hulk. But there's the rub: Ewing never saw Adam as a franchise character. His past treatment of Adam speaks to that quite clearly. I suspect that trend will continue in Defenders Beyond.

Between Cantwell's mishandling of Adam in the Doom series and Ewing's dismissive subtext in Ultimates, it's safe to say that I won't be an early subscriber to the new Defenders series. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times? Nope. Sorry. I'm going to need proof that Adam totally rocks in the new series before reaching for my wallet.

The thing is, nobody else came with BM in a team. Not even for mini events like Devil Reign, not for alternate universe series like Dark Ages. Except that one series where he was a foil for DOOM.
    Or, if somebody pitched something, Marvel didn't accept it.
    So at that point it seems to be either Ewing or nothing.

It doesn't help that any non-black writer, especially the progressive ones like Ewing, probably wouldn't dare pitching a BM solo in [current year]
    Which means Adam's only chance to shine in his own series would be some very popular black novelist to take some interest in him.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

The thing is, nobody else came with BM in a team. Not even for mini events like Devil Reign, not for alternate universe series like Dark Ages. Except that one series where he was a foil for DOOM.
    Or, if somebody pitched something, Marvel didn't accept it.
    So at that point it seems to be either Ewing or nothing.

It doesn't help that any non-black writer, especially the progressive ones like Ewing, probably wouldn't dare pitching a BM solo in [current year]
    Which means Adam's only chance to shine in his own series would be some very popular black novelist to take some interest in him.
    I think I'm missing something here. Why exactly would non-black writers avoid pitching a BM solo in current year?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Stop it.

Adam was in his early 30s when he got his powers. Now he is supposed to look physically like a man that is in his 40s. Namor, who is also "long-lived" is older than Adam, but looks younger and more virile. I bet no artist ever draws long-lived heroes like him like he's a doddering old man. Wonder why that is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Adam being a man with silver streaks. At least not anymore. It works for Superman. But then, no one draws Earth 2 Superman like he's a doddering old man, either. Somehow this artist's style makes Adam look like he should be headed to a convalescent home for busted up and broken down retired heroes. I'm betting that's not what Grevioux had in mind.

Hopefully, that cover is just a one off and the artist does a better job of rendering Adam.
    Can’t agree more………..

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I don't understand it, either. After all, Al Ewing said that he was fresh out of ideas for Blue Marvel. No, I don't know how that could be possible, either, since he seemed to lavish some pretty damn good material on franchise characters like the Hulk. But there's the rub: Ewing never saw Adam as a franchise character. His past treatment of Adam speaks to that quite clearly. I suspect that trend will continue in Defenders Beyond.

Between Cantwell's mishandling of Adam in the Doom series and Ewing's dismissive subtext in Ultimates, it's safe to say that I won't be an early subscriber to the new Defenders series. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times? Nope. Sorry. I'm going to need proof that Adam totally rocks in the new series before reaching for my wallet.

Niffleheim

I don't care about the art (it's good to have bad art to reference for favorite character. I still have issue #3 for Storm solo and more lol!)

I wanted more Blue Marvel in Cosmic stories dealing with cosmic entities so I hope this continues.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think I'm missing something here. Why exactly would non-black writers avoid pitching a BM solo in current year?
    Because they'd feel they can't get a black character's voice right, or that they would take away an opportunity from a black writer. Like Seeley when he gave up on that Blade's daughter series. Or that they should hire a sensitivity reader or co-writer. But would Marvel want to pay two people instead of one for a C-list character?
    Those days, Marvel solo series featuring "poc" are almost exclusively written by "poc" writers. The white guy gets to write Steve, the black guy gets to write Sam.

Extraordinary Member

Because they'd feel they can't get a black character's voice right, or that they would take away an opportunity from a black writer. Like Seeley when he gave up on that Blade's daughter series. Or that they should hire a sensitivity reader or co-writer. But would Marvel want to pay two people instead of one for a C-list character?
    Those days, Marvel solo series featuring "poc" are almost exclusively written by "poc" writers. The white guy gets to write Steve, the black guy gets to write Sam.
    You mean these days.
    Oh and a black guy did write steve recently in the new/recent captain america comics.
    I think still do.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-12-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    You mean these days.
    Oh and a black guy did write steve recently in the new/recent captain america comics.
    I think still do.
    the poster said almost exclusively NOT all so your reply is pointless and didn't disprove anything.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    the poster said almost exclusively NOT all so your reply is pointless and didn't disprove anything.
    Calm down.
    I took it as he is talking about poc are writing almost exclusively about poc(and few white writers writing poc solos)and poc do not write solo series these days about white heroes at marvel.
    Steve is not a poc.
    So your reply is pointless.

By way i was replying back to him nicely,and if he thinks i misunderstood he could reply back for himself.
    Clearly you were not being nice about.
    If you think i got wrong or did not clearly understand his reply you should word it better then that.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-12-2022 at 10:09 PM.

It's all good. I didn't take it as a harsh rebutal or anything.

Thankfully, black or asian writers are not banned from writing white characters. I believe Sabretooth writer is black too. Concerning Cap, I was more thinking about the upcoming Steve and Sam series.
    It's more a general, clear trend with very few exceptions like Venom or Darkhawk.
    And this trend seems stronger when the "poc" characters are iconic, like BP or Sam Wilson.

All that to say that I don't see a big Blue Marvel push in the future unless Grevioux comes back to Marvel, or some super star black writer gets an interest in somebody who is not a A-lister.
    I don't count on a Aaron, Ewing, Cates, Hickman or Slott solo, anyway, even thought I'd die to see MacKay or Spurrier's take on Adam.

I come back to see Adam drawn like a shriveled up testicle.....thanks Marvel....

Amazing Member

Yes, I actually remember arguing with you specifically on Adam being Older for fan casting. IMO the pendulum swung a little too far in the direction of a geriatric old man in this cover. Might as well give him a cane. I was never a fan of the silver streaks. I think fan of comics we can believe that he ages slowly without Adam having to look like 80 year old. Also it the streaks make him look too much like Reed Richards. Much prefer the jet black.
    Last edited by Carbon jiren; 03-16-2022 at 08:24 PM.