Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

DEFENDERS: BEYOND #1 (OF 5)
    AL EWING (W) • JAVIER RODRÍGUEZ (A) • WRAPAROUND COVER BY JAVIER RODRÍGUEZ
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    SPOILER Variant Cover by LEONARDO ROMERO
    Stormbreakers Variant Cover by NATACHA BUSTOS
    Variant cover by PHIL NOTO • TEASER VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    Al Ewing and Javier Rodríguez follow up their acclaimed DEFENDERS: THERE ARE NO RULES series with a new volume and an all-new lineup, including none other than Loki, God of Stories! When Doctor Strange sends a dire warning from beyond the grave, Blue Marvel, America Chavez, Taaia (Galactus' mom!), Tigra and Loki assemble to defend reality itself! Plus, you won't believe who shows up on the final page!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...ations-covers/

Astonishing Member

Galactu's Mother?! Just.... no!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The cover is clearly a callback to Alice in Wonderland. If only placing characters in Alice in Wonderland-type scenarios wasn't so cliched. But I'll reserve further comments until launch. The wine is uncorked, I'm just going to let it sit and breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Yes, I actually remember arguing with you specifically on Adam being Older for fan casting. IMO the pendulum swung a little too far in the direction of a geriatric old man in this cover. Might as well give him a cane. I was never a fan of the silver streaks. I think fan of comics we can believe that he ages slowly without Adam having to look like 80 year old. Also it the streaks make him look too much like Reed Richards. Much prefer the jet black.
    I was totally against the silver streaks at first precisely because (i.) they made Adam look like Reed, and (ii.) I knew inevitably some artist would come along and draw Adam like he's old and decrepit. They won't do that with Strange, or Tony Stark, Magneto, or even Sentry, but they'll do it to Adam. And sure enough, a couple of artists have done just that. They really ought to get rid of the gray, but if they're not going to do that, then the editor and writer have to insist that the artist draws Adam like the silver streaks are the only visible sign of ageing that he has. Period.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was totally against the silver streaks at first precisely because (i.) they made Adam look like Reed, and (ii.) I knew inevitably some artist would come along and draw Adam like he's old and decrepit. They won't do that with Strange, or Tony Stark, Magneto, or even Sentry, but they'll do it to Adam. And sure enough, a couple of artists have done just that. They really ought to get rid of the gray, but if they're not going to do that, then the editor and writer have to insist that the artist draws Adam like the silver streaks are the only visible sign of ageing that he has. Period.
    Okay...! Now this is the image I think of when Adam is concerned. Is this you? To address the current issue, why do I get goofy, indie comic vibes. I would like to say I trust Ewing where Blue Marvel is concerned, but why couldn't he have brought him on Guardians of The Galaxy, or SWORD? Both of those books were good with decent art.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Okay...! Now this is the image I think of when Adam is concerned. Is this you? To address the current issue, why do I get goofy, indie comic vibes. I would like to say I trust Ewing where Blue Marvel is concerned, but why couldn't he have brought him on Guardians of The Galaxy, or SWORD? Both of those books were good with decent art.
    Yes, thanks, this was one of my relatively quick warm-up sketches that I splashed with some color. I expect a Marvel artist and colorist to easily improve on this image many times over, lending Adam maturity, gravitas, and vitality. That's if they really wanted to do that.

Given Ewing's standing with the company, I imagine he can work with just about any artist of his choosing. Safe bet that this was a choice based on this artist's ability to convey the story in the style that matches Ewing's vision. So, yeah, Ewing or not, we should all be a little curious as to what that vision is.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Galactu's Mother?! Just.... no!
    And here again is proof that Marvel's standards have changed dramatically and not necessarily for the better. Not that Stan Lee would have ever signed off on any story where characters traveled back to a previous cosmos, but if he did and asked Jack "King" Kirby to create a visual representation of Galan's mother, does anyone here seriously think that Taaia would look so ... ordinary, if not homely?

Modern day readers truly have my deepest sympathies.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, thanks, this was one of my relatively quick warm-up sketches that I splashed with some color. I expect a Marvel artist and colorist to easily improve on this image many times over, lending Adam maturity, gravitas, and vitality. That's if they really wanted to do that.

Given Ewing's standing with the company, I imagine he can work with just about any artist of his choosing. Safe bet that this was a choice based on this artist's ability to convey the story in the style that matches Ewing's vision. So, yeah, Ewing or not, we should all be a little curious as to what that vision is.
    Eh...I don't know about that. Ewing's got a fan base, but he's not quite at that superstar Grant Morrison, Brian Bendis, Geoff Johns level yet. And Marvel's always weighing an artist's page and royalty rate vs what kind of orders they are going to get on a specific title. Sometimes they feel it's more cost effective to put a mid-tier artist on a B-level character, than a superstar artist on a mid-tier character that may or may not hit the numbers they want. It's no accident that tons of titles come out these days, with great cover art, but the interiors that are just this side of decent.

Niffleheim

The only book that hit under his pen was Immortal Hulk everything else were very short runs.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Blue Marvel
    From Marvel Legends promotional artwork.

Now the pic is in marvel wiki.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Adam_...ar_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 03-20-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

From the john stewart appreciation thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2022/page29

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Amazing splash, but still want to give D.C. an honorary bird flip for the walking travesty that is Cyborg! He's got to be the damn near stupidest looking hero in comics, and that is solely by their own choice. Its almost like they wanna troll black people, lol!

Niffleheim

Ivan Reis updated and gave Cyborg a sleek new suit but they went back to the clunky droid look.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Ivan Reis updated and gave Cyborg a sleek new suit but they went back to the clunky droid look.
    Yeah when David Walker was writing his book. No coincidence that a black man was writing the book and he immediately set to update and revise Cyborg's look. Yet folks claim that black characters suffer no ill effects in the hands of majority white writers and editors.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Very nice work. I like that every artist seems to tweak Blue Marvel's costume ever so slightly. Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that it's time for Marvel to give Adam a more majestic design.