Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

I guess they didn't want four Captain Marvels (Carol's already sharing the name with Genis and Phyla) as Monica has been renamed from Spectrum... to Photon, one of her other two old codenames. I assume then, that'll be her MCU name, and she won't actually be called a Marvel except collectively with Kamala and Carol.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I guess they didn't want four Captain Marvels (Carol's already sharing the name with Genis and Phyla) as Monica has been renamed from Spectrum... to Photon, one of her other two old codenames. I assume then, that'll be her MCU name, and she won't actually be called a Marvel except collectively with Kamala and Carol.
    I didnt know any of this. Why did Monica change her codename again?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Photon was the nickname her mother had in the films, so it's been pretty clear that's the moniker they're going to have Monica go by in the next Captain Marvel movie.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No idea. They just announced a new book, and it's called Monica Rambeau: Photon. Not set in the past either, she has a new look. MCU synergy makes sense in the real world, I guess we'll have to wait for the in-universe reason.

Phyla has been a Captain Marvel since she came back in Guardians of the Galaxy - she's from an alternate universe but is now in 616 as her's was destroyed. And there's a book currently running called Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel. Genis deciding to be a Cap again after being resurrected in Carol's book recently means that Photon, the name he later switched to, was vacant.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-23-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

THE MARVELS makes a splashy debut on The Quorum.

https://preview.redd.it/59ssqvbxeqj9...=webp&8653683e

THE MARVELS is essentially the sequel to the 2019 film CAPTAIN MARVEL. That film, starring Brie Larson, made $426M domestically and ranks behind BLACK PANTHER as the highest-grossing debut stand-alone film in the MCU.

Looking at the numbers, THE MARVELS arrives with a 48% awareness. That’s a staggering number for a film a year away from release. It’s higher than ANT-MAN AND THE WASP; QUANTUMANIA, which arrives in theaters in February. It’s even higher than BLACK ADAM, which is two months away from release and has a fully formed marketing campaign.

https://preview.redd.it/48p3n8eweqj9...=webp&76e8fc66

While the awareness number is impressive, the interest score is truly remarkable. With a score of 6.2, it ranks 3rd among all DC/MCU films currently being tracked by The Quorum. BLACK ADAM has yet to crack 6.0 over the past 14 months that we’ve been tracking the film.

https://preview.redd.it/e6l24owueqj9...=webp&26cf0255

What does this mean? With a late July release date, look for THE MARVELS to dominate the back half of summer 2023 the same way GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY did back in 2014. That film debuted on August 1st, spent four weeks at #1 and ten weeks in the top 10. These numbers put all other late-summer 2023 films on notice.

If you like this kind of data, check out www.thequorum.com

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...g_with_a_bang/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Hey yo I'm curious, what was Carol's relationship with Mar-Vell? Was it romantic?

Cause I'm thinking if it was, would that kinda make her Genis, Phyla, and Teddy's step-mom sorta kinda? Its a funny thought I had.

Yeah, she was his love interest. She never married "Walter Lawson" (Mar-Vell's secret identity) though, so she's not the stepmother to Genis, Phyla and Hulkling like Janet was to Nadia (before she officially adopted Hank's daughter).

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Hey yo I'm curious, what was Carol's relationship with Mar-Vell? Was it romantic?

Cause I'm thinking if it was, would that kinda make her Genis, Phyla, and Teddy's step-mom sorta kinda? Its a funny thought I had.
    Carol and Mar-Vell's relationship is kind of...ambiguous at times.

Initially she was set up as his love interest and they kind of had vibes going, but then when Carol became Ms. Marvel they were pretty firmly best friends, but there was a deep closeness between the two of them.

And at times, especially when Mar-Vell has come back, it's leaned into romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she was his love interest. She never married "Walter Lawson" (Mar-Vell's secret identity) though, so she's not the stepmother to Genis, Phyla and Hulkling like Janet was to Nadia (before she officially adopted Hank's daughter).
    Has Carol shared any significant panel time with any of Marv's progeny? One would think they might seek her out to hear about what their paternal unit was like.
    https://steemit.com/comics/@readingd...-december-1968
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Why is it so hard for these artists to draw Binary with the fiery cosmic corona she was designed with? It has always been her distinguishing mark and it was really effective in setting her apart from the multitude of generic flying fire-women. Sometimes the wheel does not need to be re-invented, I think that adding the corona to the new costume would be a good compromise between the classic and the modern without useless sacrifices on the identity front.
    Improvements in color art technology have them portray the corona differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Is this Binary Carol? I thought this new Binary was not Carol or some such nonsense?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is this Binary Carol? I thought this new Binary was not Carol or some such nonsense?
    New Binary is a separate entity from OG Carol. The details of that are still being revealed. She's Carol-adjacent...clone-ish, maybe...

I find the term “improvement” in this instance very debatable, there are other examples of recent art depicting Binary’s that managed to better capture the spirit of the original design, it is not just fire, it’s supposed to be “cosmic”
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

New Binary is a separate entity from OG Carol. The details of that are still being revealed. She's Carol-adjacent...clone-ish, maybe...
    Ah, thank you for the added details.

Maybe this is why the corona looks different from when Carol was Binary? (Or more likely, the artist thinks <their way> looks better.)
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Yeah, Binary seems to be a clone. Carol was captured, and escaped using a construct of Binary, copying a trick she'd seen Monica do. That construct gained sentience, and became this clone. So she's basically another sister for Carol.