Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I find the term “improvement” in this instance very debatable
    Color technology in 1982 when the Carol Danvers Binary first appeared was dot based and comparatively flat in what effects could be created by the color artists of the time. In the 30 years since paper, computerized coloring and techniques have made large strides in what effects can be created by a color artist. A color artist now can create the effects of their predecessor, the opposite is not the case, thus "improvement" of color technology. Whether one LIKES the different effect the technology is being used to create, is a different matter alltogether.

Even the original Cockrum art posted has been recolored with new "improved" tech.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Binary seems to be a clone. Carol was captured, and escaped using a construct of Binary, copying a trick she'd seen Monica do. That construct gained sentience, and became this clone. So she's basically another sister for Carol.
    Thanks for the info!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Color technology in 1982 when the Carol Danvers Binary first appeared was dot based and comparatively flat in what effects could be created by the color artists of the time. In the 30 years since paper, computerized coloring and techniques have made large strides in what effects can be created by a color artist. A color artist now can create the effects of their predecessor, the opposite is not the case, thus "improvement" of color technology. Whether one LIKES the different effect the technology is being used to create, is a different matter alltogether.

Even the original Cockrum art posted has been recolored with new "improved" tech.
    Very interesting but this is not what I was talking about, my issue is not with the coloring but with the pencils, It’s a matter of design.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Very interesting but this is not what I was talking about, my issue is not with the coloring but with the pencils, It’s a matter of design.
    That be a cool visual really. Just this omnipresent halo thats always behind her in the same placement and always looks the same no matter the paneling. Its a fun visual trick, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before just not sure where.

Its like Goku's hair and Mickey Mouse ears, the placement is always the same no matter the angle. Of course in this case the cosmic halo further accentuates how cosmic and powerful the character is.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Has Carol shared any significant panel time with any of Marv's progeny? One would think they might seek her out to hear about what their paternal unit was like.
    https://steemit.com/comics/@readingd...-december-1968
    Thats what I was thinking of when I asked that question. Because the Captain Marvels and Marvel progeny are all a very strong cast of characters so if they centralize a clear relationship dynamic, it could create a really strong super family.

It be like if you made a Captain Marvel cartoon where Carol develops a motherly-matriarch kind of relationship with Genis, Phyla, and Teddy, and forms a Marvel Family with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    That be a cool visual really. Just this omnipresent halo thats always behind her in the same placement and always looks the same no matter the paneling. Its a fun visual trick, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before just not sure where.

Its like Goku's hair and Mickey Mouse ears, the placement is always the same no matter the angle. Of course in this case the cosmic halo further accentuates how cosmic and powerful the character is.
    Exactly, it always look like a radiating sun with a halo no matter the perspective, I think I saw it as well somewhere……
    Found something close to it but kinda low res
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

That game launched in 2013 (and shut down in 2017) so why was Carol called Ms. Marvel in it? She became Captain Marvel in 2012.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I suspected that. So back to my original point is that the line artists tend to leave more room for the color artists to do effects these days rather than spend the time adding additional line work in order to make a visual pop. That's likely why the circular "dandelion corona" is less common in modern depictions of Binary.

Waiting for New Binary to meet Carol's missing protégée, Singularity in a crossover that can be called "Non-Binary".

That game launched in 2013 (and shut down in 2017) so why was Carol called Ms. Marvel in it? She became Captain Marvel in 2012.
    Weirdly enough, despite the thumbnail she is called Captain Marvel there, both the video's title and the costume's description show that as her codename lol.

Maybe at first she was called Ms. Marvel (Game productions take a while to be made so she likely was Ms. Marvel before the game came out), and then they changed her to Captain Marvel after an update, or she has alternate sets of costumes tnat go by Ms. Marvel, and another that goes by Captain Marvel.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 08-28-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

When the game debuted, she was in her classic Ms. Marvel bathing suit and used the codename that went with that look. Subsequent updates which added her then current Captain Marvel costume changed her name. At the base level though she was still Ms. Marvel as thats what the game code was written as which caused some inconsistencies

So the short-sighted devs assumed that Captain was temporary and only added it later - after Kamala had debuted in the comics and it was obviously long term, I guess? The old swimsuit costume should've been an alt, like Binary was, and her Cap costume the main.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Re-reading Carol’s run as Cap from the beginning. Warming to Soy’s style as time has gone on.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

So the short-sighted devs assumed that Captain was temporary and only added it later - after Kamala had debuted in the comics and it was obviously long term, I guess? The old swimsuit costume should've been an alt, like Binary was, and her Cap costume the main.
    I dont think it was shortsighted. Marvel had a history of having teen characters take on the mantle only for the original character to take back the codename. Heck Carol herself changed codenames multiple times and still would go back to Ms. Marvel. It was a fair assumption that that would be the case with Carol as it was with most characters. At the end of the day, it wasnt that big of a deal as they were able to change things

Fantastic Member

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/exc...ain-marvel-41/

Here's the preview for Captain Marvel # 41

Quote Originally Posted by Distraction View Post
    https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/exc...ain-marvel-41/

Here's the preview for Captain Marvel # 41
    Pages seem reversed.