Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I am really not liking the whole 'secrets from the past' thing they are doing. Stop adding to the past and focus on going forward.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I am really not liking the whole 'secrets from the past' thing they are doing. Stop adding to the past and focus on going forward.
    A good point there. Additive or not, at some point, the best thing to do is to move forward with who the characters are and have become now and take the setting into the future instead of constantly trying to rehash or redo the past.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Why is Peggy Carter back?

Like what does she add here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I dunno...intrigue? Drama? I don't quite get it myself.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Like I'm not even asking for this series specifically, just in general.

Was she brought back purely back of synergy with the characters prominence in the movies?

I don't care about Peggy, I want to know where is Sharon !

Like I'm not even asking for this series specifically, just in general.

Was she brought back purely back of synergy with the characters prominence in the movies?
    Probably both.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Just wondering if anyone else read Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty #3. Again, what a fantastic read. The action is always on point. Seeing the fight Cap had with those robots really stood out to me. It continues that trend that I like a lot in Captain America, that of Cap's validation against the new. Indeed, regardless of how advanced or strange the enemy is, Cap proves that his "old" super-soldier serum and skills can easily match these foes. Cap showed tremendous creativity when beating these robots. Wow, who knew Cap listen that well or utilize electricity in that manner.

What got to me the most, however, was this theme of symbols. We get to learn more about the origins of Cap's shield and what it really means. The question is what will Captain America do about it? Has his symbol been tainted? Can it be redeemed? Can Captain America still preserve it's pure characteristics? This tension intrigues me because symbols are at the core of Captain America.

I rushed through the subplot between Bucky and Sharon. Definitely need to reread that again.

Otherwise, this is shaping up to be a memorable storyline. Seriously, I considered this might be up there with Winter Soldier. We'll see how the story pans out.
    Some intriguing points and ideas about legacies and symbols, even if I'm somewhat burned out on the need to seemingly constantly revisit and reinterpret or revise the past.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

She came back in the previous run by Coates, which is also where her new Dryad secret identity debuted. And it was definitely done for MCU synergy, considering that it narratively doesn't make sense - she's still young-ish, but she doesn't have the super soldier serum and thus ought to be very frail - she'd be over 100 years old. She's also now brunette instead of blonde, matching her actress Hayley Atwell. Nobody who was around in World War II should still be active without an explanation, yet Peggy was never given one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Some intriguing points and ideas about legacies and symbols, even if I'm somewhat burned out on the need to seemingly constantly revisit and reinterpret or revise the past.
    The story is revisiting the past, yes. However, I'm not tired of it just yet. The making of the shield is pretty significant. As a huge fan of history, I'm intrigued in how even the smallest of things, like the making of a shield, has a story behind it.

Still, I have my issues. I wonder how this fits with previous continuity. Indeed, Prof. Myron McClain was stated to be the one who made the shield. Indeed, his attempts to repeat the process is what lead to the discovery of adamantium:

So, how will this be addressed? I'm all for looking back into the past, but rewriting this origin? Hmmm, let's see how it pans out.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    I don't care about Peggy, I want to know where is Sharon !
    She's apparently on a big mission. I can't find the quote, but one of the writers mentioned that when she returns, she's coming in like a wrecking ball. Which means she and Steve are going to have some really interesting reunion boning with naked swinging...or she has big information.

My crack!theory is that she found some intel about Ian's whereabouts and is going to find her son. (And maybe not telling Steve until she is sure as to not get hopes up?) Ian silhouette is on the promotional material for next year's Cold War event.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She came back in the previous run by Coates, which is also where her new Dryad secret identity debuted. And it was definitely done for MCU synergy, considering that it narratively doesn't make sense - she's still young-ish, but she doesn't have the super soldier serum and thus ought to be very frail - she'd be over 100 years old. She's also now brunette instead of blonde, matching her actress Hayley Atwell. Nobody who was around in World War II should still be active without an explanation, yet Peggy was never given one.
    Wasn't it sort of implied in a panel that she was brought back during the cosmic cube/Secret Empire stuff, explaining why she could be young for whatever reason?

And yeah, she was brought back for MCU Synergy purposes because she honestly wasn't a hugely necessary character to the plot. She was primarily used as was way to create tension between Steve and Sharon, and also with the readers fearing Synergy, but ultimately just sort of existed. Synergy with her is going to be pretty weird, though, because the MCU version and the 616 version are so radically different that they're not really recognizably the same character. She doesn't have her "Woman against The Man" dynamic, her relationship with SHIELD is different, as is her relationship with Steve. And, tbh, I don't see comic readers really buying into a modern romance with Steve either. Just like Sharon struggled under the shadow of Peggy in the MCU, it's going to be very hard to mimic the film romance because Sharon looms so large in Cap's romantic history.

I am sort of intrigued by the antagonistic role she has with Bucky. It feels a bit different and might give her a bit of purpose in existing if she's more like a tenuous ally or someone not to be totally trusted.

Extraordinary Member

The story is revisiting the past, yes. However, I'm not tired of it just yet. The making of the shield is pretty significant. As a huge fan of history, I'm intrigued in how even the smallest of things, like the making of a shield, has a story behind it.

Still, I have my issues. I wonder how this fits with previous continuity. Indeed, Prof. Myron McClain was stated to be the one who made the shield. Indeed, his attempts to repeat the process is what lead to the discovery of adamantium:

So, how will this be addressed? I'm all for looking back into the past, but rewriting this origin? Hmmm, let's see how it pans out.
    That is my point from above...the Shield already has an origin. There is no need to add more to it and give it this different significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That is my point from above...the Shield already has an origin. There is no need to add more to it and give it this different significance.
    I really liked this origin for the shield.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    Wasn't it sort of implied in a panel that she was brought back during the cosmic cube/Secret Empire stuff, explaining why she could be young for whatever reason?

And yeah, she was brought back for MCU Synergy purposes because she honestly wasn't a hugely necessary character to the plot. She was primarily used as was way to create tension between Steve and Sharon, and also with the readers fearing Synergy, but ultimately just sort of existed. Synergy with her is going to be pretty weird, though, because the MCU version and the 616 version are so radically different that they're not really recognizably the same character. She doesn't have her "Woman against The Man" dynamic, her relationship with SHIELD is different, as is her relationship with Steve. And, tbh, I don't see comic readers really buying into a modern romance with Steve either. Just like Sharon struggled under the shadow of Peggy in the MCU, it's going to be very hard to mimic the film romance because Sharon looms so large in Cap's romantic history.

I am sort of intrigued by the antagonistic role she has with Bucky. It feels a bit different and might give her a bit of purpose in existing if she's more like a tenuous ally or someone not to be totally trusted.
    I wonder if she'll eventually phase out like the whole Daughters of Liberty thing has.