Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Huh. Interesting. I like Sharon well enough, but I'll be honest, her character's never left a particular impression on me.
    Completely understandable. Waid came close, though...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Not to mention Brubaker .

Astonishing Member

Anyone felt its a missed opportunity of Steve and Piotr Rasputin forming a bond friendship over their love for art and drawing. It would be progressived during the 80s Cold War. something I can see Claremont doing or maybe in the current times.

I enjoyed sentinel of liberty. Great art, interesting story. The captions really give a deep dive into where steve is right now and i am interested in this space he is in right now. I also enjoyed that even at 104 cap shows it's never too late to try something new. In his case college.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I like Sharon a lot, but part of why she's made an impression on me is that Ed Brubaker's run was going on when I first started reading comics. Being a teenage girl at the time, I loved her kick ass attitude, how she stood up to Steve, and the overall drama and romance of that period.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

I remember bits of Waid's banter between the two. It was pretty good. Other writers never seemed to do it as well, imho.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I think Brubaker had some good banter...Spencer even though we got stuck with HydraCap, and Coates even if I don't love his run.

Extraordinary Member

Never read Spencer's, but as much as much as I love Brubaker (he's literally one of my favorite writers ever) I never really got much chemistry from how he wrote Sharon and Steve together. But then again, I was less enamored by his Cap run when compared to his Catwoman and Daredevil runs as contrary as that may sound.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Reading the Brubaker omnibuses, I like how Sharon always Steve's back. Her loyalty to him is sweet, Steve's got good friends in her, Sam, and Bucky.

I'm curious, what is the general reception and opinion of the Coates Cap run and the United States of Captain America mini?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I enjoyed sentinel of liberty. Great art, interesting story. The captions really give a deep dive into where steve is right now and i am interested in this space he is in right now. I also enjoyed that even at 104 cap shows it's never too late to try something new. In his case college.
    Agreed. I think it is a very strong first issue. It almost felt like genuine pilot episode. As a fan of The Shadow and early Moon Knight, and as a fan supporting casts that are made up of more than just other superheroes, I'm always happy to see heroes get a community involved, so that was a lot of fun for me. I think Steve was written perfectly. I think Bucky was written less so. I don't think there was any need for him to spout his resume. That came off as kind of clunky. That's long haired Bucky stuff. The superior short haired Bucky would never do that. He'd let his actions speak for themselves. Hit that barbershop, Buck. Let your brain breathe.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Reading the Brubaker omnibuses, I like how Sharon always Steve's back. Her loyalty to him is sweet, Steve's got good friends in her, Sam, and Bucky.

I'm curious, what is the general reception and opinion of the Coates Cap run and the United States of Captain America mini?
    I didn't read United States of Captain America, but my opinion on Coates' run is that it reads much better in trade/one sitting than from month-to-month. Coates writer very decompressed stories, so it was a slog to get through when it was coming out. Also, the run had several artists, which was distracting because some were very bad. Everyone's face look like potatoes. I also think if you approach the run like you're reading a love story first, as opposed to an action story, it feels more thematically connected. One thing I think is interesting is that much of the tension of the back half of the run relied on the fear of MCU Synergy, and I wonder if more series will use that.

My takeaway with Coates was the same issue with his Black Panther run where he seemed more invested in stuff that had nothing to do with the main character, like the Daughters of Liberty, to the point where Steve felt like a guest star in his own book.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Never read Spencer's, but as much as much as I love Brubaker (he's literally one of my favorite writers ever) I never really got much chemistry from how he wrote Sharon and Steve together. But then again, I was less enamored by his Cap run when compared to his Catwoman and Daredevil runs as contrary as that may sound.
    I've read both and...I guess I just feel like they're so different in terms of character and execution that it feels weird comparing them, but Brubaker is what made me fall in love with Sharon and her and Steve together (and BuckyNat) so I'm kind of biased.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    BuckyNat
    Yeah! That's what I'll remember most from the Brubaker run. BuckyNat really stood out (IMHO):

All-New Member

A small thing but I liked that they referred to Steve being from the Lower East Side, though for the last ten years he's been said to be from Brooklyn as per the movie. Also a small thing, but they did use his movie year of birth to make him 104, when he typically was born in 1922. /nerdery

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

As others have said, I think Coates' run reads better in trade. Having said that, I think it started off very strong, but after the prison arc, I think it started to lose its focus. I still liked it overall, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite Captain America run. United States of Captain America was a cool concept, but I wasn't really crazy with the writing. It wasn't "bad" but it was just kinda ok? The latest Captain America/Iron Man miniseries was a blast, I loved that and this first issue of Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty was fantastic. I think Steve is in good hands right now!