Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I have always assumed anyone who writes for Marvel or DC on a main book makes AT LEAST a 150K-ish just from Marvel, plus whatever convention and commission opportunities it brings. I mean, even the writers whose work I don't really like are still at the peak of their profession and I respect that. (It's one of the reasons I'm so hard on them and their Craft. These are no amateurs by any means!) I can't imagine them being paid under 100k when there are senior secretaries at my firm who make 100k before bonus.

But I don't know much about this. I'd love to know more, truthfully.

This would be great. Maybe every time she dies/goes to hell/regenerates her mind or her feelings blank out? Some downside to her powers like Synch now has?

I see it as such a missed opportunity because they've been drawn in the same 'Team' or situation together standing next to each other with just no communication or acknowledgement as to what happened in the past between them. It's almost treated like an AU, which I hate.
    Writers and artists areas paid worse than teachers.Comic Book Writers in America make an average salary of $69k per year. Bendis barely breaks 100.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, Marvel writers get paid a page rate for each issue they work on, and only get royalties on the back end if their book sells over 50,000 copies, which most comics don't do. There's a reason so many writers turn to creator-owned projects after building up a name on work for hire books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I have always assumed anyone who writes for Marvel or DC on a main book makes AT LEAST a 150K-ish just from Marvel, plus whatever convention and commission opportunities it brings. I mean, even the writers whose work I don't really like are still at the peak of their profession and I respect that. (It's one of the reasons I'm so hard on them and their Craft. These are no amateurs by any means!) I can't imagine them being paid under 100k when there are senior secretaries at my firm who make 100k before bonus.
    Ed Brubaker once pointed out one of the reasons you don't see certain writers (he was referring to one of his friends whose name I just blanked on) is PAY.

This industry does not pay. Unless you are certain folks and even then that is over time.
    And it's why you see more choose to do indy or self created work where they OWN what they create.
    And others stick to doing novels where they have some more freedom.

Most folks have other jobs.

Khary Randolph has a book at Image (and maybe another), way too many covers at DC & Marvel, does animation work (like Spiderverse) and teaches. Yet Marvel will NOT use his art for clothing. Despite the interest based on all the bootleg stuff with his art on clothes-that even he pointed out.

David Walker-about 3-4 books including Naomi (former tv show) and Bitter Root movie in the works) and teaches.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Writers and artists areas paid worse than teachers.Comic Book Writers in America make an average salary of $69k per year. Bendis barely breaks 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yeah, Marvel writers get paid a page rate for each issue they work on, and only get royalties on the back end if their book sells over 50,000 copies, which most comics don't do. There's a reason so many writers turn to creator-owned projects after building up a name on work for hire books.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Ed Brubaker once pointed out one of the reasons you don't see certain writers (he was referring to one of his friends whose name I just blanked on) is PAY.

This industry does not pay. Unless you are certain folks and even then that is over time.
    And it's why you see more choose to do indy or self created work where they OWN what they create.
    And others stick to doing novels where they have some more freedom.

Most folks have other jobs.

Khary Randolph has a book at Image (and maybe another), way too many covers at DC & Marvel, does animation work (like Spiderverse) and teaches. Yet Marvel will NOT use his art for clothing. Despite the interest based on all the bootleg stuff with his art on clothes-that even he pointed out.

David Walker-about 3-4 books including Naomi (former tv show) and Bitter Root movie in the works) and teaches.
    Thanks for the info! I knew most comic writers/drawers didn't do well, but I really thought the big 2 were an exception to that rule. I wasn't aware it was so damn low. Bendis...WTF??

In fact, they should've been teachers! In my school district where my kids go, teachers top out at almost $120k w/o PhDs.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The fact that they cant even give us a mini is what aggravates me. If it doesnt sell well. Show us!

Make a mini series about this generations and how the Krakoa era has affected them and let US see how much it sells.

But dont sabotage it.

Give us a good artist and good writer.
    I don't think X-editors could resist that unless physically restrained from doing so.

The urge to write the characters wildly OOC, shove in some annoyance like Glob Herman, or insert an older X-man to have them steal the focus and book is too strong for them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I don't think X-editors could resist that unless physically restrained from doing so.

The urge to write the characters wildly OOC, shove in some annoyance like Glob Herman, or insert an older X-man to have them steal the focus and book is too strong for them.
    Yeah. "We want more Hellion, Wind-Dancer, Surge, Dust and Prodigy!" "We gave you Glob, No-Girl and a wildly OOC (and several years younger?) Anole, wasn't that what you asked for? You guys are toxic and unpleasable!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah. "We want more Hellion, Wind-Dancer, Surge, Dust and Prodigy!" "We gave you Glob, No-Girl and a wildly OOC (and several years younger?) Anole, wasn't that what you asked for? You guys are toxic and unpleasable!"
    Or we'll get a "They appeared...sure it was for a single panel where they were insta-defeated by the bad guy of the week but we gave you what you wanted!"

I know some of you are pessimistic but PLEASE email office@marvel.com and tell them you want a one-shot or a mini series of the Academy generation.

Yost and Kyle have shown interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Y'all have probably seen this twitter thread, but I will never get over the fact that there's a whole pitch and new designs for the New X-Men that is just going to sit there unused forever.
    https://twitter.com/josephglass/stat...14732534796291

Also I totally agree with you, I don't think there's no interest from any writer to use the New X-Men. I DO think that current editorial would never suggest that those characters get used or find a writer specifically to launch a New X-Men led series (which is totally within their purview). So then writers are in a position where including these characters is an uphill battle and ofc their first concern is just making it to ten issues and getting some original ideas out there.
    Thanks for the link! I had seen Anka's designs before, but not the pitch.

I know some of you are pessimistic but PLEASE email office@marvel.com and tell them you want a one-shot or a mini series of the Academy generation.

Agreed, now seems to be the right time to keep up the pressure, because Kyle and Yost seem serious about getting another book. A X-23 led title written by them is probably the best chance there is for the other New X-Men to make an appearance again.

I emailed them and attached a screenshot of Kyle's tweet. Fingers crossed.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Thanks for the link! I had seen Anka's designs before, but not the pitch.

Agreed, now seems to be the right time to keep up the pressure, because Kyle and Yost seem serious about getting another book. A X-23 led title written by them is probably the best chance there is for the other New X-Men to make an appearance again.
    Oh wow it sounds like they're really serious about it. I wonder if the current X-office just doesn't care much for their writing, or sees them as yesterday's laundry or what - I would be inclined to say no to the latter given they reached out to other contemporaries of K&Y like Remender, Carey and (from slightly later) Gillen.

I just find it baffling that creators with a resume like Kyle & Yost, spanning many comics and Marvel shows, cartoons and movies and Star Wars shows as well, would be ignored by Marvel when they expressed an interest in a project.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Oh wow it sounds like they're really serious about it. I wonder if the current X-office just doesn't care much for their writing, or sees them as yesterday's laundry or what - I would be inclined to say no to the latter given they reached out to other contemporaries of K&Y like Remender, Carey and (from slightly later) Gillen.

I just find it baffling that creators with a resume like Kyle & Yost, spanning many comics and Marvel shows, cartoons and movies and Star Wars shows as well, would be ignored by Marvel when they expressed an interest in a project.
    I gather it is because they expressed interest in a project the X-Office specifically doesn't want to see happen. At some point it can't just be neglect, like they claim...
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

The X-Men-specific office is officex@marvel.com. And I message them every single day. If we team up and absolutely flood them, surely they'll do something, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    The X-Men-specific office is officex@marvel.com. And I message them every single day. If we team up and absolutely flood them, surely they'll do something, right?
    Tighten their spam filters, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Tighten their spam filters, probably.
    But in the moment before those filters are updated, they'll be forced to witness us.

Also, I was playing Drag Race Simulator with an Academy X cast, and needed a headshot for Hellion. Long story short, I found this great pic.

https://twitter.com/Keiser_Arrieta/s...o851wUBd8GYNbw
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.