Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hahahaha, they singled out Hellion first. They know. I feel seen.
    Goal accomplished. Now you can rest and talk about other things as well. You must be so relived and happy.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me that writers wouldn't choose them. It's true that we see them here and there, but because they're still newer characters there's SO much potential as to where a writer can take them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The way he answered my question. I need to process this disappointing statement

Edit:

Ok. I'm back. Here's the one thing I disagree with. The New X-Men Acadamy has maybe one of the most diverse and untapped story telling routes that writers can take them on.

The fact that the writers in the X-slack do not want to explore that is bonkers to me. And exactly why I want some new writers.

These kids who in my head canon are basically in their young 20s. Well basically 19-23 IMO. Thats just me. Don't come at me

We were given ONE issue where we were told most were resurrected.

Everything that happened to them still happened them.

How does it feel to be repowered? How does it feel to be the generartion that dealt with the most of mutant hate and was mostly devastated?

What do they think of the Krakoan age? What do they want for their futures now that they've got a second chance?

There are so many interesting interactions that could be done.

The fact that the current writers do not want to explore this is such a bummer and quite upsetting.

They are basically more special in my opinion.

And YES some are being sprinkled in here and there but its all surface level.

We want in depth interactions and meaningful stories for this team.

And I think they deserve it.
    Couldn't agree more.

The fact they went from what everyone thought to be the last generation of mutants on Earth to seeing the future of their kind restored gives them a unique perspective in this era, and it would be so interesting to see how they deal with such a drastic change, especially since they essentially missed out on the second half of their teenage years because they were forced to fight for their survival against seemingly hopeless odds.

Many of them have also been very outspoken about what they thought of the X-Men's leadership, so I have a hard time believing they'd just grow apathetic and hang out at the tiki bar all day. They're college age now, and I'm sure they'd have strong opinions about the Quiet Council and who gets to have a say on Krakoa.

There's just so much story potential in how these characters would adjust to this era it boggles the mind that supposedly no one wants to do anything with them.
    Last edited by Starfish; 08-08-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Couldn't agree more. The fact they went from what everyone thought to be the last generation of mutants on Earth to seeing the future of their kind restored gives them a unique perspective in this era, and it would be so interesting to see how they deal with such a drastic change, especially since they essentially missed out on the second half of their teenage years because they were forced to fight for their survival against seemingly hopeless odds.
    Many of them have also been very outspoken about what they thought of the X-Men's leadership, so I have a hard time believing they'd just grow apathetic and hang out at the tiki bar all day. They're college age now, and I'm sure they'd have strong opinions about the Quiet Council and who gets to have a say on Krakoa.

There's just so much story potential in how these characters would adjust to this era it boggles the mind that supposedly no one wants to do anything with them.
    Emphasis on supposedly no one wants to write them. Remember when Hickman did that interview saying that he envisioned books for each generation including the New X-Men? I’m sure if editors had rolled with that and offered it to one of the writers who clearly care about this generation like Leah, Vita, or Si they could have at least put out a mini.

The editors clearly aren’t putting in the work that people very easily did in this thread of thinking about the story potential of these characters, and then suggesting that a writer use them in that capacity. At the end of the day JDW plays a very large role in the direction of this line so to pretend like he leaves it all up to the individual writers, would be like Kevin Feige pretending like he leaves the overall direction of the MCU to the directors.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 08-08-2022 at 10:37 AM.

They could legit just give us a mini or them being a rescue squad, training at the war college to defend Krakoa, or even going after a subsection of ORCHIS that is funding the Purifiers.

I mean its ALL right there.

I'm so disappointed in editorial for doing this generation a disservice.

But what did we expect when they barely do anything with Generation X.

Honestly give Al Ewing six issues with them and a good artist and I think Ill stfu for a year.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-08-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Goal accomplished. Now you can rest and talk about other things as well. You must be so relived and happy.
    Nah. I know a ton of people love Hellion. As much as I'd like to rest, people clearly want to hear more. And unlike White, I'm going to give people what they want.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

So. Though on nature girl keeping her age of xman power up ?

I honestly forgot Age of X-Man was a thing, so I'm whatever.

whats her AoXman power up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Emphasis on supposedly no one wants to write them. Remember when Hickman did that interview saying that he envisioned books for each generation including the New X-Men? I’m sure if editors had rolled with that and offered it to one of the writers who clearly care about this generation like Leah, Vita, or Si they could have at least put out a mini.

The editors clearly aren’t putting in the work that people very easily did in this thread of thinking about the story potential of these characters, and then suggesting that a writer use them in that capacity. At the end of the day JDW plays a very large role in the direction of this line so to pretend like he leaves it all up to the individual writers, would he like Kevin Feige pretending like he leaves up the overall direction of the MCU completely up to the directors.
    Oh yeah, I definitely believe the problem lies with editorial here.

They could legit just give us a mini or them being a rescue squad, training at the war college to defend Krakoa, or even going after a subsection of ORCHIS that is funding the Purifiers.

I mean its ALL right there.

I'm so disappointed in editorial for doing this generation a disservice.

But what did we expect when they barely do anything with Generation X.

Honestly give Al Ewing six issues with them and a good artist and I think Ill stfu for a year.
    I always thought Predator X would make for a good reason to get the team back together. Specimens kept showing up here and there over the years, so the means to create them is still in circulation. I'm sure Orchis would love to get their hands on what is essentially a biological Nimrod that should be able to use Krakoa's gates. Those things were pretty much created to be this generation's nemesis.

Astonishing Member

The thinly veiled ageism behind these comments is soooo irritating. Wtf said you stopped being "special" when you stopped being young and beyond that who said you stopped being young after you turn 18?!? Like maybe we could get some interesting stories about these characters navigating their early twenties (WHICH STILL INVOLVES A TON OF GROWING UP), if you didn't insist on making Cyclops 27.
    Imagine a job market like that.

Education only goes as far as high school and can only be finished until the age of 18. But all job offers demand a college degree, a doctor title, 3 years of military services and 20 years of job experience.
    Not that it matters either way because every possible job is allready taken by a group of never agining people who took them 50 years ago.

Overall that answer is quite something.

For example he basicly admits that it's entirely futile for readers to ever care for any younger characters long term. There is no "next generation" not "future heros", because according to him the established ones will never go away and there is no room given anymore to new ones.

Kids will grow up but adults will stay young forever and hold onto their positions of power and control (which is ironicaly exactly what would happen with Krakoa and can allready be observed with the neglect of children and babies as seen in Way of X, Sabertooth and New Mutants).

This also means he practically admits that he and the writers are essentialy perpetuating a problem which they are entirely aware of and seemingly don't care about.
    Because they have created and will keep creating younger characters and still expect readers to care and grow attached to them aswell, even though the above mentioned vicious cycle has become fairly obvious for decades and there is no future for these characters.

They know the bucket is full and they still pour on water and then wonder why people are upset about wet feet.

Let's not even start on the whole issue of casualy talking about "735 mutant characters" as if they are just a large redundancy that is bothersome to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

The fact they went from what everyone thought to be the last generation of mutants on Earth to seeing the future of their kind restored gives them a unique perspective in this era, and it would be so interesting to see how they deal with such a drastic change, especially since they essentially missed out on the second half of their teenage years because they were forced to fight for their survival against seemingly hopeless odds.

This is part of an overall problem i had with Hickman's new status quo from the start. Basicly everyone except a handfull of designated characters are reduced to "yes man" who accept everything about it as right, true and as it should be, regardless of how much alien and distant they become to who they used to be.

Which i feel was done not to create something new and hopefull, but fuel his course towards turning the mutants into a super human society gone wrong in order to tell some cautionary tale before everything gets reset.

True. The mutants overall have gone through quite a lot during the last 20 years of terrible status quos. But that should make many even more doubtfull and carefull about this brave new world. Which definetly should include many of the New X-men Academy students.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-08-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

whats her AoXman power up?
    She went from animals to all aspects of nature.

Hey all, just finished my re-read of the Nunzio DeFillippis and Christina Weir's section of New X-Men. Are there any good interviews with them about their future plans for the book if they didn't have to leave and if Decimation didn't happen?

Hey all, just finished my re-read of the Nunzio DeFillippis and Christina Weir's section of New X-Men. Are there any good interviews with them about their future plans for the book if they didn't have to leave and if Decimation didn't happen?
    They talk about some of their future plans on their Tumblr, or what they can recall of them. And there was a podcast interview more recently for their Dragon Age work where they talked a bit about Academy X. I don't remember a lot of interviews happening at the time, though. I commiserated with them at SDCC a couple of times, and one bit that I remember was that they'd intended for Josh to go dark side. I think that stuck with me because that's the opposite direction most stories take the healer type characters in.

Their Tumblr has a lot of behind the scenes details. A few highlights include:
    • Luna DePaula was going to be a long-term romantic interest for Karma, and would have a story about her unsupportive parents, and how she changed her name in honor of the woman who took her in when her parents kicked her out.
    • They wanted to do minis for all the squads, not just Hellions. They weren't fully realized yet, but the Paragons would have gone to Nova Roma, and DJ would fall in love with a girl. (This one seems to have been deleted or something because I can't find it.) Alpha Squadron would have been the ones to find Northstar's body, and would go up against Hydra and the Hand. Corsairs would go into space.
    • Kingmaker would come back for revenge.
    • They toyed with James Keller being a "passing" mutant who hid his powers.
    • Julian/Sofia were envisioned as endgame, while Noriko/Prodigy might not have lasted beyond their teen years.
    • Julian would get the Phoenix Force, and would eventually take the codename Scion.
    • Laurie's father was a mutant supremacist, and would have a story where he manipulated a bunch of students onto his side.
    • This arc would be "huge" for Laurie and would lead to a big confrontation between them, and she would have been the one to save the day against him. She'd finally stop being afraid of her powers, and would learn to use her powers strategically.
    • Also, she and Cecily would have an adventure together.
    • Josh would join Garrison's side, but Kevin would talk him out of it and save him.
    • As the kids go out into the field, David would be against it and pushed for everyone to stay students, rather than active heroes. Eventually he was gonna be “the guy in the Chair” for the kids who did adventure, but whenever he would get on the field, he'd be "like a machine:" very precise, and hard to hit.
    • For Noriko, Wallflower's dad would help her learn to control her powers so she wouldn't need her Gauntlets most of the time. This would make her blind to his bad side. But she would be instrumental in convincing others to turn against him once she realizes what's up, taking on something of a leadership role.
    • Her infamous fight with Dust would have lead to more development, with them eventually becoming good friends.
    • Kevin and Cecily would get together.
    • Kevin would have learned to kill specific cells and cause slower decay, or paralyze limbs (albeit Josh would still be able to heal the damage.) So he would be able to cause pain without killing, and possibly even cure cancer.
    • Tag backstory, mentioned below.

Speaking of their Tumblr, we got some juicy Tag lore!

• He's from Puerto Rico and was always treated like an immigrant by others, despite being an American citizen. He felt somewhere in between.
    • He from a broken or neglectful home.
    • Because of the above points, he always didn't have a good sense of who he was.
    • The idea was that he had no real sense of family, and possibly no sense of identity outside of his friends and being an Xavier student.
    • "One of the reasons we had Brian be with Cessily in the aftermath scenes of the final issue of the Hellions mini was to subtly set up that his situation and hers were similar."
    • Julian would notice Brian's issues and try to do something about it. This would have lead to Brian reconnecting with his parents, whom he hadn’t been home since coming to Xavier’s.
    • This would all lead him towards figuring himself and his powers out.
    • They weren't planning for Tag to fall in love with Julian, but it was "100% on [their] list of possibilities."