Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Legion of X #8 Review *spoilers*

- X-Corp's LA office. Chamber and Husk talk about the past & walk in on the fight with Bird!Angel. Angel starts to get away but Kurt freaks out and says something about drinking its hot blood, so the Legion decides to focus on Kurt and sends Jono and Paige after Warren.

- Data page. Beast writing about how they found out about Jackie's powers in the Death of Doctor Strange tie-in and says he requested to try to jumpstart her powers but the QC denied him.

- Krakoa. Forget-Me-Not, Lost, and Juggernaut are responding to a distress call near Nightcrawler's house, the building you can't get into - except Lost reveals Kurt has made a portal for his hook ups to come through and has invited her in the past. Forget-Me-Not went on a date with Lost but she doesn't remember it. They find Cypher disoriented outside. Banshee is there -- he reveals he is the one who called for help as he's sensed a "terrible adjustment in the fabric of Krakoa". The portal into the house runs away from them when they try to go inside -- the source of the problem is Warlock. Cypher reveals the secret that Warlock is integrated with Krakoa, that's how he's controlling these things. Cypher is disoriented as his bond with Warlock is shattered since "something else' slithered into Warlock's soul.

- Data page. Notes from Dr. Strange's archive, talking about Spirits of Vengeance, which are usually differentiated in personality only by the pull of their hosts, but how there were rumors of a Spirit of Variance that decided Vengeance was the wrong path and changed course by itself. Its siblings were rumored to destroy it, but other rumors say it found a mysterious benefactor to protect it until it could find a host (Mother Righteous).

- Dr. Nemesis' lab. Black Knight reveals that weird stuff started happening once she saw the X-Men. People she came into contact with manifested new powers. Orchis has mutant tests available now, so she used them and found out the people she was interacting with were becoming mutants -- but just for an hour. She also discovered she was a mutant for good. Nemesis realizes her power is a mutagenic field that manifests -- or activates, depending on your interpretation -- an X-Gene in others around her temporarily. She reached out to Warren since he's another rich superhero who knows her dad. He got interested when he realized that her power might imply that everyone is a latent mutant and thus humiliate Orchis by fucking with their mutant tests. Then Warren turned into Bird!Warren.

- Continued. Pixie concludes that this is "Mythomancy", a rare form of sorcery where you take something real and rewrite it, using someone's beliefs and prejudices to rewrite the rules. Someone is using Black Knight as the basis of a mutagenic spell.

- Krakoa. Blindfold visits Xavier in his sleep in a dream. She tells him he needs to reach out to David. Charles thinks David is full of resentment, which is unfair as he didn't know about David. Ruth counters that Xavier only did't know as he didn't want to, there's no way he wouldn't have sensed David. She tells him David is in control and doesn't need his help. Xavier opens a file after she leaves for Contingency protocols, codenamed Daedalus.

- Bavaria, Germany. Pixie has tracked the spell and brought Nemesis, Black Knight, and Nightcrawler. They find the source: Kurt's mother Margali, in full Green demon form.

---

This issue was better as one plot took center stage and everything felt connected to that (assuming the Warlock plot is connected?). The magic focus is fun and feels like an interesting investigation for the team, and it feels like the cast has narrowed a bit.

Thanks for creating the thread!

I’m definitely most interested in the Warlock plot, even though it seems a tad bit random for this book. Also looking forward to seeing the reckoning between David and Charles, so that both characters can start to move forward when it comes to their relationship.

I could take or leave the main “mutant monster” plot BUT I thought the inclusion of Jackie was done really well.

Sign me up for some Margali/Kurt interaction!

This issue was OK, but I'm over Legion and Xavier's ongoing subplot. I'm ready for it to be resolved.

Thanks for posting! I love that Margali is back and I'm intrigued by what she's doing with Jackie. Her "activating" the X-gene in others sounds interesting but I guess it may just be the work of Margali. Orchis rolling out mutant tests - I can't stand them lol
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Thanks for posting! I love that Margali is back and I'm intrigued by what she's doing with Jackie. Her "activating" the X-gene in others sounds interesting but I guess it may just be the work of Margali. Orchis rolling out mutant tests - I can't stand them lol
    My interpretation is that it's actually Jackie's mutant power to activate X-Genes (or to create them -- left up to interpretation), but Margali is manipulating her power to do the monster stuff to mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    My interpretation is that it's actually Jackie's mutant power to activate X-Genes (or to create them -- left up to interpretation), but Margali is manipulating her power to do the monster stuff to mutants.
    Yeah that makes sense. And that's quite a mutant power a Sinister would be interested in too. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. And that's quite a mutant power a Sinister would be interested in too. Hmm.
    Didn’t one of the SoS previews have folks walking into a place called “X-Gene”? If that future has folks volunteering to get turned into mutants then she could be a key player like you said.

Incredible Member

- X-Corp's LA office. Chamber and Husk talk about the past & walk in on the fight with Bird!Angel. Angel starts to get away but Kurt freaks out and says something about drinking its hot blood, so the Legion decides to focus on Kurt and sends Jono and Paige after Warren.

- Data page. Beast writing about how they found out about Jackie's powers in the Death of Doctor Strange tie-in and says he requested to try to jumpstart her powers but the QC denied him.

- Krakoa. Forget-Me-Not, Lost, and Juggernaut are responding to a distress call near Nightcrawler's house, the building you can't get into - except Lost reveals Kurt has made a portal for his hook ups to come through and has invited her in the past. Forget-Me-Not went on a date with Lost but she doesn't remember it. They find Cypher disoriented outside. Banshee is there -- he reveals he is the one who called for help as he's sensed a "terrible adjustment in the fabric of Krakoa". The portal into the house runs away from them when they try to go inside -- the source of the problem is Warlock. Cypher reveals the secret that Warlock is integrated with Krakoa, that's how he's controlling these things. Cypher is disoriented as his bond with Warlock is shattered since "something else' slithered into Warlock's soul.

- Data page. Notes from Dr. Strange's archive, talking about Spirits of Vengeance, which are usually differentiated in personality only by the pull of their hosts, but how there were rumors of a Spirit of Variance that decided Vengeance was the wrong path and changed course by itself. Its siblings were rumored to destroy it, but other rumors say it found a mysterious benefactor to protect it until it could find a host (Mother Righteous).

- Dr. Nemesis' lab. Black Knight reveals that weird stuff started happening once she saw the X-Men. People she came into contact with manifested new powers. Orchis has mutant tests available now, so she used them and found out the people she was interacting with were becoming mutants -- but just for an hour. She also discovered she was a mutant for good. Nemesis realizes her power is a mutagenic field that manifests -- or activates, depending on your interpretation -- an X-Gene in others around her temporarily. She reached out to Warren since he's another rich superhero who knows her dad. He got interested when he realized that her power might imply that everyone is a latent mutant and thus humiliate Orchis by fucking with their mutant tests. Then Warren turned into Bird!Warren.

- Continued. Pixie concludes that this is "Mythomancy", a rare form of sorcery where you take something real and rewrite it, using someone's beliefs and prejudices to rewrite the rules. Someone is using Black Knight as the basis of a mutagenic spell.

- Krakoa. Blindfold visits Xavier in his sleep in a dream. She tells him he needs to reach out to David. Charles thinks David is full of resentment, which is unfair as he didn't know about David. Ruth counters that Xavier only did't know as he didn't want to, there's no way he wouldn't have sensed David. She tells him David is in control and doesn't need his help. Xavier opens a file after she leaves for Contingency protocols, codenamed Daedalus.

- Bavaria, Germany. Pixie has tracked the spell and brought Nemesis, Black Knight, and Nightcrawler. They find the source: Kurt's mother Margali, in full Green demon form.

---

This issue was better as one plot took center stage and everything felt connected to that (assuming the Warlock plot is connected?). The magic focus is fun and feels like an interesting investigation for the team, and it feels like the cast has narrowed a bit.
    How old are the spirits of vengeance. Really old right, like thousands of years? So if the spirit of variance found a protector it makes it sound like it happened long ago. And if that protector is mother righteous and the spirit split away from the other spirits quite a long time ago then mother righteous would predate sinister right, who is only a few hundred years old. So there goes so many peoples theories on mother righteous being a sinister.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I’ve not always liked Si’s version of Kurt, but I have to say that him having a fortress of solitude with a booty door is *very* Kurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Didn’t one of the SoS previews have folks walking into a place called “X-Gene”? If that future has folks volunteering to get turned into mutants then she could be a key player like you said.
    Ahh, that could be an interesting link there. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    How old are the spirits of vengeance. Really old right, like thousands of years? So if the spirit of variance found a protector it makes it sound like it happened long ago. And if that protector is mother righteous and the spirit split away from the other spirits quite a long time ago then mother righteous would predate sinister right, who is only a few hundred years old. So there goes so many peoples theories on mother righteous being a sinister.
    Not necessarily. Nothing in the data page indicates that this Spirt of Vengeance rebelled thousands of years ago. It could have been a Spirit of Vengeance normally for a long time.

I haven't read Spurrier's take on Black knight but I found Jackie's inclusion decent. I wonder if we might get a ghost rider crossover out of this. Decent issue and I'm hoping Spurrier gets to do Hellstorm next.

I thought the Warlock aside was weak but I just forgot the last time he popped up.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-14-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Not necessarily. Nothing in the data page indicates that this Spirt of Vengeance rebelled thousands of years ago. It could have been a Spirit of Vengeance normally for a long time.
    What makes me think it is so long ago is the line "in the past millenia" That seems to imply it happened A WHILE ago otherwise why not say the past century. Or just leave out that line altogether. Seems like a line written to make it seem more then a hundred or two, years old.

Incredible Member

"Wealthy himbo mothman".

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    What makes me think it is so long ago is the line "in the past millenia" That seems to imply it happened A WHILE ago otherwise why not say the past century. Or just leave out that line altogether. Seems like a line written to make it seem more then a hundred or two, years old.
    It also could have found the benefactor later. I just think they want it to seem old and magic-y. I really don't think it's anything close to a nail in the coffin for the Righteous = Sinister theory.