Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Of the second and third tier characters, I think the two I'd most like to see get used more are Dryad and Trance. Dryad's power set is very relevant in the current age and Trance's powers have a lot of potential for exploration and advancement. Plus, I just like Trance. Hey, remember that time Nanny and Orphan-Maker tried to kill her parents?

Though, obviously, I most want to see Mercury get a more prominent and enjoyable role. The two most logical places would be X-Men Red due to survivability and New Mutants because magic resistance and back-and-forth sniping at each other with Magik with the Limbo storyline. I don't expect either to happen, but I can dream.
    Yeah, I think Mercury would make a great addition to either of those books. Obviously she deserves her own title, but just having her be a regular cast member anywhere would already make me very happy (except for Knights of X perhaps, for aforementioned reasons, as I really could do without that kind of stress.)

Boring as it may be most of the time, X-Force might also make for an interesting place for her to show up.

Incredible Member

I think Trance would have been a great addition to Excalibur or Knight of X, way better than Jubilee or Gambit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Definitely, and since it's been established that Atlanteans can also be mutants, such as Crosta, I'd expect to see even more, as well as various mutants whose mutations might not be specifically aquatic, but allow them to function underwater as well, such as Shark Girl or any other fishy-mutants.
    It would make so much more sense to have Hydro, Flood, Naiad, Shark Girl or Crosta guarding the coast than freaking Wolverine jumping sharks or diving.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Jay's a complicated subject but desperately in need of focus for precisely all of these reasons. [SNIP]
    And the fact that they have no seeming interest in WRITING that story and just want to short cut to 'everything's all better now' is annoying as hell, patronizing, and also a disservice to their own characters and franchise because in the right writer's hands, that's a really powerful emotional journey to take readers on.
    Yes to all of this. You've clearly put more thought into this than I have, and while I didn't care for Jay, you're totally right that on an island with thirty-plus alpha and omega level telepaths, at least one or two of whom are schooled in therapy or psychology (Chuck and Emma, AFAIK), it's just flat out lazy writing, and contributes to the 'somethings deeply wrong on Krakoa / Charles is messing with everyone's minds!' narrative to have stuff like this being swept under the rug.

I'm not Chuck's biggest fan. He was already kind of a dick in the 80's, under Claremont's pen, so it's hardly a shocker that he could be up to sketchy stuff, but this right here is a whole notion that Charles is mind-whammying the mutants of Krakoa to make them compliant, solely fueled by OOC writing of characters like Jay, oddly happy to be a living mutant boy again, all his past trauma wiped away, IMO, not because Xavier mind-whammied him to drink the Krakoa Kool-Aid, but because the writers are too darn lazy to write the story of how he got straightened out and learned to choose life.

They didn't put in the work, and they didn't earn it.

But yeah, also we just need an issue or two showing us the Guthrie family status quo on Krakoa, because that could go such a long way to making Krakoa work and be more palatable in the long run, if like, we got to see them as an example of a family of both mutants and humans, all living safely on Krakoa and benefiting from it.
    Agreed. Yet more fanon is that humans are somehow excluded from Krakoa, and yet, *some writers* have flagrantly pooh-poohed that notion by having humans like Kyle and Shogo clearly living on Krakoa, not just 'visiting on a day pass' or whatever.

Presumably mutant allies like Kitty's dad Carmen, Amanda Sefton/Jimaine Szardos, the various non-mutant Guthries, etc. would be welcome, too. Although there's story potential there, as well. Krakoa itself feeds on mutants. It grows food, pumps water, constructs houses, processes waste, etc. for *mutants,* which feed it in return with their psychic energies. Every single human it's feeding, housing, etc. gives it nothing in return.

It could be interesting to find out that *the island itself* doesn't want a ton of human allies, family, friends and lovers hanging around, noshing on it's largesse and leaching off it's resources! Kyle and Shogo might have snuck in and Cypher and Krakoa had a talk and whatever, fine. But when a half-dozen Guthries show up and Krakoa is asked to *build a house for them,* he might get a little bitchy and wonder when it's going to end, since pretty much *every* mutant has dozens of human relatives...

Astonishing Member

Looking at the "Introduce the X-men to the MCU" discussion i got reminded how in the MCU they are currently trying to replace the older heros who died and/or who's actors might get too old to still convincingly carry the movies in the comming years with younger similar characters they are carefully introducing with "passing the torch" moments.

Which if it works out will make me chuckle, because of how the comics constantly failed to do so despite decades of tries.

Now obviously since the X-men are still fresh to be introduced in the MCU, it will be a while until Marvel might try to do something similar with them too, but it once again makes me look back at how the mess of aimless directions over the last 2 decades has created this massive pile of "junior" X-men who never even got the chance to properly cement themself as future teams or even core team members.

Which makes me think that when it comes the time to replace the X-men characters with the next generation, it will likely be a lot more unpredictable... well except for Laura Kinney.

Ironicaly while the New Mutants were the most successfull "next generation", they were so by becomming their own heros in form of X-force, making them another hero team, rather than a core team replacement. Akin to how the Guardians of the Galaxy managed to create their own claim of fame independent from the Avengers in the movies.

Similar while Generation X at least managed to finish their "school time" and graduate to adults, they did it more in a civilian way, rather than as super hero team. Mostly because their series got canceled and they then got reduced to civilian life and supporting roles in the other books. Similar their book never really had the air of them being the future of the X-men and more just mutant kids growing up while learning to use their powers.

Compared to that the New X-men (including Young X-men, Generation Hope and who ever got freshly introduced as part of the school afterwards) were settled with being directly under the wings of the core X-men all the time and therefor had this chip on their shoulder that some of them just "had" to graduate to X-men members eventualy (as illusionary as this sound to us longtime readers).

And to make matters worse, because the school had to be filled with backround kids, while Decimination declared no (or very few) new faces were allowed to be shown in the backround of the school, nobody was allowed to really grow up or form their own teams.
    Which actualy makes me wonder how the comics would have been like if the "filled school" setting from the movies hadn't been forced into the comics a few years earlier and it instead would have only been a third generation junior team? But i digress.

Still. If the MCU survives long enough, it will be interesting to see who might suddently get elevated to actualy replace big name X-men heros. The beauty of the movie verse is that the audience is much more forgiving to replacements than the static and aging comic readership (and writers).
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-31-2022 at 05:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Looking at the "Introduce the X-men to the MCU" discussion i got reminded how in the MCU they are currently trying to replace the older heros who died and/or who's actors might get too old to still convincingly carry the movies in the comming years with younger similar characters they are carefully introducing with "passing the torch" moments.

Which if it works out will make me chuckle, because of how the comics constantly failed to do so despite decades of tries.

Now obviously since the X-men are still fresh to be introduced in the MCU, it will be a while until Marvel might try to do something similar with them too, but it once again makes me look back at how the mess of aimless directions over the last 2 decades has created this massive pile of "junior" X-men who never even got the chance to properly cement themself as future teams or even core team members.

Which makes me think that when it comes the time to replace the X-men characters with the next generation, it will likely be a lot more unpredictable... well except for Laura Kinney.

Ironicaly while the New Mutants were the most successfull "next generation", they were so by becomming their own heros in form of X-force, making them another hero team, rather than a core team replacement. Akin to how the Guardians of the Galaxy managed to create their own claim of fame independent from the Avengers in the movies.

Similar while Generation X at least managed to finish their "school time" and graduate to adults, they did it more in a civilian way, rather than as super hero team. Mostly because their series got canceled and they then got reduced to civilian life and supporting roles in the other books. Similar their book never really had the air of them being the future of the X-men and more just mutant kids growing up while learning to use their powers.

Compared to that the New X-men (including Young X-men, Generation Hope and who ever got freshly introduced as part of the school afterwards) were settled with being directly under the wings of the core X-men all the time and therefor had this chip on their shoulder that some of them just "had" to graduate to X-men members eventualy (as illusionary as this sound to us longtime readers).

And to make matters worse, because the school had to be filled with backround kids, while Decimination declared no (or very few) new faces were allowed to be shown in the backround of the school, nobody was allowed to really grow up or form their own teams.
    Which actualy makes me wonder how the comics would have been like if the "filled school" setting from the movies hadn't been forced into the comics a few years earlier and it instead would have only been a third generation junior team? But i digress.

Still. If the MCU survives long enough, it will be interesting to see who might suddently get elevated to actualy replace big name X-men heros. The beauty of the movie verse is that the audience is much more forgiving to replacements than the static and aging comic readership (and writers).
    It also helped that the New Mutants were introduced when the Sliding Time Scale was still a tenuous thing, rather than a brick wall. There was an illusion that the setting was still moving forward in something approaching real time (not exact, but still enough).

Astonishing Member

I've actually always really wanted to see a random story arc that's one of those 'teamup with another version of the X-Men from an alternate reality' type of deals....but with the twist being that the AU team are adult New X-Men characters from a reality where they were the first and second gen of X-recruits and its the 05 and Giant-Size X-Men that are teens in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I've actually always really wanted to see a random story arc that's one of those 'teamup with another version of the X-Men from an alternate reality' type of deals....but with the twist being that the AU team are adult New X-Men characters from a reality where they were the first and second gen of X-recruits and its the 05 and Giant-Size X-Men that are teens in comparison.
    That's a great idea. On a related note, I'd also like to see stories set in potential future timelines make use of more experienced versions of the New X-Men, instead of even older versions of the same old characters.

I'm not wanting to get my hopes up, but I agree that there appears to be a lot more opportunity in the "screen universe" (including films and TV shows) for lesser known characters, especially since Marvel Studios demonstrated that they can market any of their properties with the right idea and execution, so "big name" characters from the comics seem a lot less important here. For example, Deadpool managed to outperform Wolverine at the box office, despite being unknown to the wider moviegoing audience beforehand. And who would have thought the Runaways would ever get their own TV show?

I just finished this picture based on the promo for Immortal X-Men. I think it's time for the younger mutants to be start sharing information and influencing events from behind the scenes. (I couldn't come up with a good name for the group. The Quieter Council? lol)
    https://www.deviantart.com/tapwater8...ncil-905826347
    Young Quiet Council - Color small.jpg

TraneTrax that is amazing! Also, a very SOLID range of representation -- cultural, racial, sexual, etc. I love love love it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I just finished this picture based on the promo for Immortal X-Men. I think it's time for the younger mutants to be start sharing information and influencing events from behind the scenes. (I couldn't come up with a good name for the group. The Quieter Council? lol)
    https://www.deviantart.com/tapwater8...ncil-905826347
    Young Quiet Council - Color small.jpg
    The student Council. Whose behind prodigy?

Sofia, Armor & Khora

Incredible Member

This really wasn't the case. Claremont always stated that the New Mutants wasn't meant to be the X-men's farm team, and the New Mutants really took on it's own identity when he made Lila and Sam a couple, so much so that it became sort of a running gag in the X-men proper. Remember the bit between Xavier and Sam and how Xavier was dressed?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quick Pixie doodle while listening to the Excalibur podcast.
    627DA431-D5BB-49AD-8AD2-D89C2E18743A.jpg

FALL 2022.jpg

Ok now this is what i need