Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    Here's a sneak peak at the issue's first couple of pages -- some cool art:

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/01/28/ma...en-legends-11/
    Odd that they're using the PSYCHE codename when should would have solidly been MIRAGE during that period.
    PSYCHE MOONSTAR.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Interesting. Looks like Feral is going to make an appearance.

Dani's already got that pre-possesion headache, though. She'll probably be sidelined.
    I'm still holding out hope that the opposite is true and that the headache is hinting at a larger role in the Search for a new DEATH.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-02-2022 at 08:38 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

So, had an opportunity to read X-Men Legends - #11 today. Interesting story, not what I was expecting [at all]. On the first few pages, an asterisk denotes that this story takes place prior to the classic New Mutants volume 1 issue #77, which is right before they took de-aged Illyana back to Russia to be with her family, and right before Dani got possessed by Hela and tried to kill Odin, subsequently leaving the team for good to remain in Asgard to help repair the damage she caused.

Based upon the way that this new story was presented, it was basically self-contained -- like a previously unpublished story with a distinct beginning and ending that came right after #76 and transitioned cleanly into the events leading up to issue #77.

I won't provide any spoilers, but here are some quick impressions:

-- First, Dani did in fact play a prominent role [as much as any other members of the New Mutants featured in the story], and a much larger role than a couple of them [Sunspot, Skids]

-- There was indeed a Feral sighting

-- Story wasn't quite how it was described in the previews I'd seen over the past few months, announcing the story

-- Art was pretty good, not great IMO [see image below]

-- I was surprised that Rictor / Boom Boom were so figural in the story [although both have gone on to be fairly prominent, much more so than what they were at the time of the story's setting, so that's probably why]

Overall, reading this issue was like opening a time capsule -- it could have been 1989 all over again. This indeed felt like a Louise Simonson plot, with the same type of tone / demeanor as the stories she was writing back then, with the characters at that point in time.

If I had to summarize my reaction in one sentence, it would be that given Simonson only had the opportunity to tell one story with this turn back the clock re-visitation, I'm surprised that this was the one she chose to feature. Liked it, didn't love it -- but it wasn't bad. It felt like a Simonson story that was appropriate for the era it would have fallen into. I just wish she would have focused more on the New Mutants, and a bit less on some other peripheral characters.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 132955.jpg
    Last edited by rf2044; 02-03-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Incredible Member

So, had an opportunity to read X-Men Legends - #11 today. Interesting story, not what I was expecting [at all]. On the first few pages, an asterisk denotes that this story takes place prior to the classic New Mutants volume 1 issue #77, which is right before they took de-aged Illyana back to Russia to be with her family, and right before Dani got possessed by Hela, eventually leaving the team to remain in Asgard to help repair the damage she caused.

Based upon the way that this new story was presented, it was basically self-contained -- like a previously unpublished story with a distinct beginning and ending that came right after #76 and transitioned cleanly into the events leading up to issue #77.

I won't provide any spoilers, but here are some quick impressions:

-- First, Dani did in fact play a prominent role [as much as any other members of the New Mutants featured in the story], and a much larger role than a couple of them [Sunspot, Skids]

-- There was indeed a Feral sighting

-- Story wasn't quite how it was described in the previews I'd seen over the past few months, announcing the story

-- Art was pretty good, not great IMO [see image below]

-- I was surprised that Rictor / Boom Boom were so figural in the story [although both have gone on to be fairly prominent, much more so than what they were at the time of the story's setting, so that's probably why]

Overall, reading this issue was like opening a time capsule -- it could have been 1989 all over again. This indeed felt like a Louise Simonson plot, with the same type of tone / demeanor as the stories she was writing back then, with the characters at that point in time.

If I had to summarize my reaction in one sentence, it would be that given Simonson only had the opportunity to tell one story with this turn back the clock re-visitation, I'm surprised that this was the one she chose to feature. Liked it, didn't love it -- but it wasn't bad. It felt like a Simonson story that was appropriate for the era it would have fallen into. I just wish she would have focused more on the New Mutants, and a bit less on some other peripheral characters.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 132955.jpg
    In other words just more of Louise Simonson's New Mutants Crap.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 02-02-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Here's a recap:

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...e-the-monsters

The author's ratings at the end seem basically in line with my opinion of the plot:

Screenshot 2022-02-03 061107.jpg
    Last edited by rf2044; 02-03-2022 at 05:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Here's a recap:

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...e-the-monsters

The author's ratings at the end seem basically in line with my opinion of the plot:

Screenshot 2022-02-03 061107.jpg
    These are the very people who ran around prasing Louise Simonson's New Mutants Crap all those years ago when the title's sales started tanking after she took over. You honestly expect them to say anything different now about those issues?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 02-03-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Peach Momoko cover variant for upcoming New Mutants issue #24:

Screenshot 2022-02-06 083034.jpg

Big fan of her style of art.

That's almost worth trying to track down.

I really appreciate the fringe on the X pattern on her costume. I don't think I've seen an artist use that feature in that way before. Similar to the Thunderbird on Warpath's Capullo X-Force suit. Very clever.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-06-2022 at 01:04 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member

Yeah,like Rod Reis, her style of art would complement Vita Ayala writing style rather than distract from it. If and when he does leave I would love to see this person take over for him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I really appreciate the fringe on the X pattern on her costume. I don't think I've seen an artist use that feature in that way before. Similar to the Thunderbird on Warpath's Capullo X-Force suit. Very clever.
    I like how her style doesn't clash with what we know of the character's personality. You can see Dani actually wearing something like this.

I hope this variant means that Dani has some good scenes, but I know better than to get my hopes up. Still, I'm anxious to see what the new status quo for the team is. Only two more days. is been too long since the last issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I hope this variant means that Dani has some good scenes, but I know better than to get my hopes up. Still, I'm anxious to see what the new status quo for the team is. Only two more days. is been too long since the last issue.

Dani DEFINITELY had some prominent scenes, but it was an unusual issue. Still trying to wrap my head around some of what unfolded -- especially her scene with Rahne.

Issue #24 very much had the feel of a denouement. There was some closure to bracket the Shadow King / Farouk arc, there were some nice interactions between characters, and the wheels set in motion for the upcoming Limbo conflict.

The art was strange, though. I'm curious to hear what others thought of the issue.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I really enjoyed NM 24. It really brought the last chapter to a close in very satisfying ways. Dani's scenes with Rahne and Cosmar, but especially the former, were well written. The art reminded me of Brett Blevins' work so I quickly got used to it.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Dani DEFINITELY had some prominent scenes, but it was an unusual issue. Still trying to wrap my head around some of what unfolded -- especially her scene with Rahne.

Issue #24 very much had the feel of a denouement. There was some closure to bracket the Shadow King / Farouk arc, there were some nice interactions between characters, and the wheels set in motion for the upcoming Limbo conflict.

The art was strange, though. I'm curious to hear what others thought of the issue.
    I think Dani and Rahne are like twins more than anything else. Could be an interesting contrast with Xi'an and Tran later on. I was glad to see Dani admitting her mistakes with Cosmar. I like my favs to have flaws, but seeing them realize them is good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I really enjoyed NM 24. It really brought the last chapter to a close in very satisfying ways. Dani's scenes with Rahne and Cosmar, but especially the former, were well written. The art reminded me of Brett Blevins' work so I quickly got used to it.
    Yeah, I really liked this issue, too. A lot of good stuff, and a lot of great Dani scenes. The art didn't remind me of Blevins', though. Blevins is a great artist (even if he does have a habit of drawing grown women as over-sexualized teens) whose style just didn't fit the comic. This guy just couldn't draw faces.

Anyone else miss Dani's temper? She's been so calm for so long...