Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Anyone else miss Dani's temper? She's been so calm for so long...
    I do miss the days when she was telling off Professor X and drop kicking Hope Summers in the chest. I'd like to see her direct that anger towards the Quiet Council. She's basically the Minister of Education for Krakoa, and she's still isn't as prominent as she should be. Also, somehow her education program still seems under resourced. They definitely need more educators or probably more mentors.

On another note, that scene with Rhane was weird. It was partially the art, but the emphasis on their connection felt...unearned? I don't know.
    It feels like if anyone is her soulmate, it's Karma, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I do miss the days when she was telling off Professor X and drop kicking Hope Summers in the chest. I'd like to see her direct that anger towards the Quiet Council. She's basically the Minister of Education for Krakoa, and she's still isn't as prominent as she should be. Also, somehow her education program still seems under resourced. They definitely need more educators or probably more mentors.

On another note, that scene with Rhane was weird. It was partially the art, but the emphasis on their connection felt...unearned? I don't know.
    It feels like if anyone is her soulmate, it's Karma, but okay.
    I agree with everything but the soulmate part Dani and her 'mystical not stereotypical' connection to Rahne was there from the jump.... but her 'tude needs to come back I feel they severely softened her when she lost her powers but girl that was ages ago... i want the Dani that was still throwing shade at Cable back in the OG Xforce
    GrindrStone(D)

Yeah, it's not the first time Dani's referred to them as soulmates, although that's an unusual term to describe a platonic relationship. Soul twins might be better. (I think if those two were going to have a romantic relationship, it would have happened long ago because of the mindlink. Doesn't make sense now, imo.)

I loved that scene when Dani stood up to Cable and his plans. I liked her hard edge when she was working with SHIELD before that, though. I don't think they softened her when she lost her powers. She was pretty tough during New Mutants vol. 3. It's whenever she gets thrust into a teaching role that she loses her edge. Happened during vol.2 and it's happening now. I love Ayala's writing, but I'd really like to see Dani kicking ass and taking names again.

It occurs to me that there are some gaps between House of M and Young X-men and again between New Mutants vol. 3 and Age of X-man where she could have been working with SHIELD again. It'll never happen, but I'd sure like to find out that was the case and get some flashback stories.

Yeah, it's not the first time Dani's referred to them as soulmates, although that's an unusual term to describe a platonic relationship. Soul twins might be better. (I think if those two were going to have a romantic relationship, it would have happened long ago because of the mindlink. Doesn't make sense now, imo.)
    I completely agree -- the use of the term "soulmates" threw me off in that scene. Really, the connotation doesn't usually apply to describing friendship. Their relationship seems better described as "sisters" or "family," or even "besties."

That's why I said I was confused by how that unfolded. Given the way their heads were pressed together, would they have kissed if they hadn't been interrupted? Kind of seemed that way, even though I agree with what you state above.

Also -- why is Rahne moping around about Tier instead of looking for him? If she thought her kid were dead, and found out he might be alive, I don't get the consternation she's expressing -- why is she sitting around complaining about being tormented by it instead of out there trying to locate him? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by rf2044; 02-10-2022 at 11:28 AM.

It's possible that Ayala is setting up a romance, but I think a kiss would have happened if it were going to. We've seen that they're not afraid to show two women kissing in this very issue. There's no reason to hold back if that's the plan.

Your right about Rahne. It's kind of strange she's not focusing her energy in finding Tier. She's never been the most take charge character, though.

The art didn't remind me of Blevins', though. Blevins is a great artist (even if he does have a habit of drawing grown women as over-sexualized teens) whose style just didn't fit the comic. This guy just couldn't draw faces.

I completely agree with this -- almost like Blevins is great at drawing faces from straight on, but really struggles with the side profile.

And I say that in 100% full acknowledgement that this guy has exponentially more artistic ability than I do. But...

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Incredible Member

I loved that scene when Dani stood up to Cable and his plans. I liked her hard edge when she was working with SHIELD before that, though. I don't think they softened her when she lost her powers. She was pretty tough during New Mutants vol. 3. It's whenever she gets thrust into a teaching role that she loses her edge. Happened during vol.2 and it's happening now. I love Ayala's writing, but I'd really like to see Dani kicking ass and taking names again.

It occurs to me that there are some gaps between House of M and Young X-men and again between New Mutants vol. 3 and Age of X-man where she could have been working with SHIELD again. It'll never happen, but I'd sure like to find out that was the case and get some flashback stories.
    Soulmates does not necessary mean what you think it means. This is one of the better definitions that I've seen.

What Is a Soulmate—and How to Know if You've Found Yours
    https://www.brides.com/what-is-a-soulmate-5097403

The simple fact that that's on brides.com implies romance. I agree that it doesn't have to, but that's most people first thought.

It's possible that Ayala is setting up a romance, but I think a kiss would have happened if it were going to. We've seen that they're not afraid to show two women kissing in this very issue. There's no reason to hold back if that's the plan.
    Gah i hope not
    GrindrStone(D)

You hope that's no reason to hold back or you hope Dani and Rahne's relationship won't turn romantic?

Btw, does Dani have any appearances scheduled between now and the next issue of NM? April seems so far away.

Incredible Member

The simple fact that that's on brides.com implies romance. I agree that it doesn't have to, but that's most people first thought.
    The fact brides.com felt the need to post it to begin with says a heck of a lot more about how they feel about the subject.

Anyone else miss Dani's temper? She's been so calm for so long...
    Surly Dani is great -- haven't seen her written like that in a LONG time. Volume #4 has been primarily stoic, lead-by-example Dani. Even when they were in Farouk's psychic realm, she was trying to appeal to his reason and didn't lose her cool.

Would be nice to see her cut loose again.

bad ass0.1.jpg bad ass.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    bad ass10.1.jpg

Btw, does Dani have any appearances scheduled between now and the next issue of NM? April seems so far away.

None that I'm aware of. 2022 started off with a flurry, with Marvel Voices, the Simonson special, and this issue -- but unless she makes a crossover appearance in one of the X-books, looks like we've got a two-month wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    The fact brides.com felt the need to post it to begin with says a heck of a lot more about how they feel about the subject.
    Just because some people don't want it to have a romantic connotation doesn't mean it doesn't have a romantic connotation.

That said, I'm not sure real world definitions should apply to mindlinks/mystic bonds. Personally, I hate these kinds of bonds. They generally just lead to lazy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    Surly Dani is great -- haven't seen her written like that in a LONG time. Volume #4 has been primarily stoic, lead-by-example Dani. Even when they were in Farouk's psychic realm, she was trying to appeal to his reason and didn't lose her cool.

Would be nice to see her cut loose again.
    Yeah. I get that she supposed to be the mature one, but something's just missing. I wish they'd let her fly solo for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    None that I'm aware of. 2022 started off with a flurry, with Marvel Voices, the Simonson special, and this issue -- but unless she makes a crossover appearance in one of the X-books, looks like we've got a two-month wait.
    I was afraid of that. Maybe I'll have to get Marvel Voices. I really don't think I'd enjoy the Simonson comic.