Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I do miss the days when she was telling off Professor X and drop kicking Hope Summers in the chest. I'd like to see her direct that anger towards the Quiet Council. She's basically the Minister of Education for Krakoa, and she's still isn't as prominent as she should be. Also, somehow her education program still seems under resourced. They definitely need more educators or probably more mentors.

Whatever happened with that plotline?

We had that multi-media exchange between Northstar and Dani, but it didn't go anywhere in the NM book. Was that plot twist addressed in any other X-book?

Don't think so. I'm not sure I really care. Teacher is not my favourite Dani mode, at the moment.

Astonishing Member

I loved Tony Danie's rendition of Mirage, back when she was an MLF/SHIELF double agent.

I like it, too, but I never bought that Dani would show that much skin in combat. To a party, definitely, but she does have some common sense when it comes to combat situations.

What's everyone's favorite Dani mode? At the moment I prefer kick ass undercover SHIELD operative from original X-Force and equally kick ass leader of the clean up crew from the second half of New Mutants vol 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I like it, too, but I never bought that Dani would show that much skin in combat. To a party, definitely, but she does have some common sense when it comes to combat situations.

I don't think that's skin -- it was just lighter material, that kind of looked like skin. But in the main, I agree -- she's the most practical combatant on the team. Costumes like her X-Force booty shorts and tank top or even her current one, with the extra fabric between her legs, both seem like disadvantages in combat.

Exactly. The current costume isn't that different from her second MLF one, though. Still, I don't think Dani's ever had a costume that really suited her. It's always impractical or just a variation on the original team uniform.

I think it is supposed to be her skin, though I wish it weren't
    C3OOYFY.jpg

I really want to see a scene with Dani talking to Tempo. I feel like there is a history there worth exploring. She spent a long time with the MLF and I don't feel like her time with them comes up enough

I think the last time Dani was written to her full potential was in King In Black: Return Of The Valkyries
    She shows off her warrior side, and all the interesting aspects of her power. Plus she kicks a$$ with a spear. It's the side of her character that , IMHO we don't currently get in New Mutants

Yeah, a scene with Tempo could be interesting.

I agree about Return of the Valkyries. It's like when she on Krakoa she gets complacent. Actually, it seems to happen whenever Xavier's in charge. See New Mutants vol 2. But then, I don't trust Xavier, and haven't since I found out about the X-men vs Micronaughts incident. It's probably not canon anymore, but still...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I think it is supposed to be her skin, though I wish it weren't
    C3OOYFY.jpg

I really want to see a scene with Dani talking to Tempo. I feel like there is a history there worth exploring. She spent a long time with the MLF and I don't feel like her time with them comes up enough

I think the last time Dani was written to her full potential was in King In Black: Return Of The Valkyries
    She shows off her warrior side, and all the interesting aspects of her power. Plus she kicks a$$ with a spear. It's the side of her character that , IMHO we don't currently get in New Mutants
    That's because it should be forgotten never to be revisited again.. Along with the L.S. and other 3rd rate garbage like this that poped up after Claremont left.

Just move on and don't look back from it.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 02-14-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

I just hate that mask so damn much. It makes her look like a Venom symbiote character IMO. BUT I did like how her psychic arrows worked during this period in particular.

But also I always thought it could be kinda cool if she could learn to 'tailor' her psychic arrows to elicit a specific fear or hallucination or even desire in people she struck with them. So like the psychic equivalent of dipping arrows in different kinds of toxins or poisons to achieve a variety of specific effects with them. Hit a hydrokinetic opponent with an arrow specifically conjured to elicit a fear of water, something like that. Keep a flying opponent grounded by hitting them with an arrow that temporarily overwhelmed them with a fear of falling. Etc. I mean obviously that's more empathy based than illusory as her powers typically work, but I mostly just mean the idea of more directly connecting her psychic arrows as a trigger for specific illusions or mindsets she creates in people, rather than the more generic castings that they're often treated as.

Idk, I do feel like a lot of writers tend to view Dani's powers as an inferior version of the immersive illusionary powers of people like the Wynegardes, when really they should be something entirely different because there's such an inherent emotional component to the things Dani creates, since they're born directly of peoples' fears or desires. I think the more writers lean into the emotional component of Dani's illusions rather than just focusing on the visual, the more she stands out compared to other telepathic illusionists, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 02-14-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Her powers are cool, but no one wants to take the time to figure out how they work.

I think the arrows were originally supposed to work just how you described them. When she shoots Sam in her first reappearence, she says he's living his worst nightmare (living while everyone around him grows old and dies). Later writers just took the easy route and had them working the same as Betsy's knives.

Finally got this working. Just a quick sketch testing out my new tablet.

quickdani.jpg

Finally got this working. Just a quick sketch testing out my new tablet.

quickdani.jpg

Nice work, Arachne!

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Her powers are cool, but no one wants to take the time to figure out how they work.
    An important rule that should be established is that every time she shoots them, she has to say that they are the focused totality of her psychic power.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Except they aren't supposed to be. Her arrows weren't like Psylockes knives, they made people live their worst fears (or desires?) in their heads, they didn't just knock people out. That got lost somewhere along the way and it's a real shame.

And thanks, rf2044.