Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Was Freedom Force mostly LGBTQ?

With the exception of a couple members (Blob, Julia) I wonder if most of the team were supposed to be LGBTQ:

Destiny and Mystique - confirmed

Avalanche - rumored

Pyro - rumored

Stonewall - named after Stonewall Inn/riots??

Crimson Commando - ?

Super Sabre - ?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I hope they were. Would hade been awesome!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Because it has to do w LGBT?
    I can't see any other reason why it would draw such ire.

And to answer the OP I don't think we have any confirmation outside of Destiny and Mystique that anyone officially has any leanings towards same sex feelings. We can speculate but on panel there isn't anything, but I could be wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Would it really be such a good thing since Freedom Force was a team of villains/government stooges? That doesn't seem like a representation win to me.

I would have loved for them to mostly be LGBTQ but I think Avalanche has a daughter but also I loved his bromance w Pyro.

I have no clue about Stonewall or Super Sabre.

Apart from the members who aren't LGBTQ they are all LGBTQ.

Astonishing Member

I would have loved for them to mostly be LGBTQ but I think Avalanche has a daughter but also I loved his bromance w Pyro.

LOL, the good news is at our last meeting, the LGBTQ+ community confirmed that the B still stands for bisexual.

- your friendly neighborhood bisexual

I don't buy Avalanche having a daughter in her 20's. He's mid 30's at most. He did have a wife though, but my headcanon is that he's one of those "came out later in life" gays after he realized his steamy love for Pyro.

Stonewall would make sense. Super Sabre had a twink body so who knows. Crimson Commando I feel like was the sole straight guy on the team and probably side-eyeing the queers because he's "traditional". Also because only a straight dude would wear that 90's Commando outfit.

There's also Spiral who seems like she's simultaneously into everyone and also not into anyone at all.

Fantastic Member

Well, according to CBR, Byrne originally intended Pyro to be gay, and deliberately queer-coded him in his first appearances: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-villain-originally-gay/ Aside from the original queer-coding, Pyro also died a slow, lingering death from the illness that was treated like a metaphor for AIDS, and the issue in which he is revealed to be sick (X-Men Annual #2) really seems like it was hinting at some things, especially concerning his relationship with Avalanche.

Original Pyro has never been confirmed gay in canon, but it would be pretty easy to have him come out without any kind of retcon. He's never been shown with an actual love interest, and only rarely seemed to have any interest in women. Hell, even in Marauders we only saw Pyro macking on Jean Grey in a dream that Emma was projecting into his mind (to distract Yellowjacket), and frankly, I think that scene says more about Emma than it does about Pyro. She's the one who chose that "dream sequence." (Maybe Emma's just too classy to out someone against their will.) Personally, I'd rather have original Pyro as LGBTQ+. I know Simon Lasker was introduced as "the gay Pyro," but I kinda think any character originally intended to be gay or bisexual (like Kitty Pryde) should be able to be canon LGBT now that comics are more relaxed about that kind of thing. And frankly, Simon seemed like a completely pointless character to me, so I see no reason for Allerdyce to get shoved back in the comics closet because there's a bland new imitation Pyro who happens to be gay.

But again, it's not actually canon for any of them, besides Mystique and Destiny. So as much as I want to see Pyro and Avalanche moving in together, their sexuality is unconfirmed, and probably assumed straight.

Avalanche isn't gay. If anyone asks, Pyro is sleeping with Rictor.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

It felt very queer. But it is an X-Men comic...
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Avalanche isn't gay. If anyone asks, Pyro is sleeping with Rictor.
    I see what you did there.

I’d love to see Stonewall , CC, and SS come back in their 20s and in new costumes.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I’d love to see Stonewall , CC, and SS come back in their 20s and in new costumes.
    Yeah, that would be fun. We could get a whole Freedom Force reunion on Krakoa, and show the old guys trying to adjust to their new lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    Yeah, that would be fun. We could get a whole Freedom Force reunion on Krakoa, and show the old guys trying to adjust to their new lives.
    YES! I would love that!