Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    I hope they were. Would hade been awesome!
    But whhhhy? Sure there could be so interesting retcons buuut why reward a buncha killers and sh!tty people with an identity most don't deserve??
    GrindrStone(D)

I just like the idea of bad guys or morally grey characters being portrayed by gay characters. We're not all perfect and sunshine.

And of course they'd be more pissed and jaded because theyre gay and mutants.

I dig it but thats just me.

Extraordinary Member

There is an issue of villains being portrayed as stereotypically homosexual specifically to highlight their villainy. A character acting queer-coded was a red flag that they were the villain. LGBT people can be just as good or bad as anyone else and each story should be judged on its own merits, but making an entire villains team LGBT seems pretty problematic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    But whhhhy? Sure there could be so interesting retcons buuut why reward a buncha killers and sh!tty people with an identity most don't deserve??
    Everything than CGAR wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There is an issue of villains being portrayed as stereotypically homosexual specifically to highlight their villainy. A character acting queer-coded was a red flag that they were the villain. LGBT people can be just as good or bad as anyone else and each story should be judged on its own merits, but making an entire villains team LGBT seems pretty problematic to me.
    Oh, I haven’t seen villains like that. But when I was younger I was often a bit obtuse so I may have missed the queer-coding.

I remember Freedom Force as former villains who were first forced to do good and then found themselves more or less becoming heroes. I remember how upset I was for them when I read the Muir Isle story.

Tbh at a certain point, you have to just disregard how "problematic" something is and just make what you enjoy. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree. But I, a bisexual man, would love a league of evil, flamboyant gay people committing crimes and being jerks to people. I don't think Freedom Force is that group, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Oh, I haven’t seen villains like that. But when I was younger I was often a bit obtuse so I may have missed the queer-coding.

I remember Freedom Force as former villains who were first forced to do good and then found themselves more or less becoming heroes. I remember how upset I was for them when I read the Muir Isle story.
    I recommend this video for an explanation.

Thanks. While I do see the problems with queer-coded villains, I also think it was a chance for queer filmmakers back then to be able to write a queer character - to be able to in a film give life to someone who shared a lot with themselves.

Great video. That’s a retro thing though. And it did happen. But a defunct team of villains who 80% might be gay doesn’t seem to problematic.

Destiny and Mystique just dismembered someone. No one in modern times would say it’s because they’re lesbians.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Freedom Force did give off a "chosen family" vibe. Never thought of Stonewall, Super Sabre, and or Crimson Commando being gay but now that I think about it, they did give off that older gay friends settling together vibe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Avalanche isn't gay. If anyone asks, Pyro is sleeping with Rictor.
    Ha! Nice callback there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't buy Avalanche having a daughter in her 20's. He's mid 30's at most.
    Not a problem -- he IS a mutant, after all. Having time travelling children running around who appear to be the same age (or sometimes older) than their parents comes with the territory.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    With the exception of a couple members (Blob, Julia) I wonder if most of the team were supposed to be LGBTQ:

Destiny and Mystique - confirmed

Avalanche - rumored

Pyro - rumored

Stonewall - named after Stonewall Inn/riots??

Crimson Commando - ?

Super Sabre - ?
    Avalanche canonically has a wife. So I don’t think he’s gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I'm not saying he's gay but I'm gay and I once had a wife. Some of us don't figure out who we are until later in life.
    Please Remain Calm

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Does Avalanche still have a wife? I mean, he was dead for awhile, so presumably she's moved on, if they weren't already divorced. I don't think I've ever seen her actually mentioned in the comics themselves, only in his Marvel bio. I'm genuinely curious if Avalanche has ever talked about his wife in any of his comics appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    Does Avalanche still have a wife? I mean, he was dead for awhile, so presumably she's moved on, if they weren't already divorced. I don't think I've ever seen her actually mentioned in the comics themselves, only in his Marvel bio. I'm genuinely curious if Avalanche has ever talked about his wife in any of his comics appearances.
    I'm 99% sure Avalanche has never referenced his wife on-panel. It was only mentioned briefly in an old Handbook where Mark Gruenwald added various little tidbits about random characters.