Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    All-New Member

I grew up reading X-Men in the 90s and I love 70’s and 80’s material. So whenever I see the amount of books and their current lineups I can’t believe characters like Havok, Dazzler, Multiple Man, Siryn, M, Chamber, Strong Guy are not part of any of them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    One thing I liked about Way of X is that it always had something to say, so even when I found myself STRONGLY disagreeing with it’s messages it still made me think and kept me entertained. I’ll definitely try this out.
    I'm actually curious which ones you disagreed with in specific, could you please elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Man I wish they’d give Dr. Nemesis his fedora back. He looks ridiculous without it and mushrooms growing out of his head in their place.
    Agreed. I think they're trying to push the entire plant tech hybrid thing but it's a style I really, really don't like. I'll even take the boring apple-style futuretech designs that people seem to like over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
    I grew up reading X-Men in the 90s and I love 70’s and 80’s material. So whenever I see the amount of books and their current lineups I can’t believe characters like Havok, Dazzler, Multiple Man, Siryn, M, Chamber, Strong Guy are not part of any of them.
    I mean, I think we have one of the largest line-ups of X-books we've had in a while, and even still they don't have enough page space for every character. This is why I don't like the Arrakki getting pushed.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

We are in 2022
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Speaking for myself, my biggest problem with WoX and Onslaught Revelation was they seemed way more concerned with contriving a change of heart and rehabilitation for Cortez than achieving any measure of justice for Lost. I'm very much over the whole 'not forgiving those who've wronged you does you more harm than them' because like I'm all for the power of forgiveness, but for it to HAVE power it has to be a CHOICE and far too many narratives tend to be more concerned with backing victims into a corner where choosing NOT to forgive is treated as a form of self-harm, which kinda.....yeah. Don't love that, is all I'm saying. Yes, holding on to hate can be detrimental to one's wellbeing in some cases, but in other cases y'know what? Its entirely deserved and hating a little weasel man for being a homicidal and barely repentant parent-killer is an entirely valid choice and about as harmful to your own health as a moderate case of cholesterol.

Personally I'd be a lot more confident in this series if I felt Spurrier's take on building a whole new justice system from scratch was more likely to focus on concepts like restorative justice, where the focus is kept one hundred percent on the victims of crimes and what they need and deserve rather than the focus being on the victimizers whether to penalize them or rehabilitate them, but we'll see if this ends up more nuanced than WoX was.

But it has characters I find interesting, so that's basically the basis for my checking this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I'm actually curious which ones you disagreed with in specific, could you please elaborate?.
    For sure! It’s been a while so some details are fuzzy.

1) Kurt’s solution of forcing abuser and abused together in the same space in service of the Cortez redemption plot.
    2) Kurt’s sudden sex negativity towards Stacy X.
    3) Legion violating Mercury and Loa’s trust and first intimate experience (which he apologized for but it got swept under the rug very quickly).
    4) The ending did not hit for me. The Spark was such a vague “fix it all” idea and the book suddenly went from “we need to try to figure out a common value system” to “we need to become some sort of police force”.
    5) Kurt’s portrayal as a whole just made him seem kinda clueless tbh.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 01-04-2022 at 05:38 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I mean, I think we have one of the largest line-ups of X-books we've had in a while, and even still they don't have enough page space for every character. This is why I don't like the Arrakki getting pushed.
    I feel the same way. It also bothers me that characters with unique mutant powers and relevant stories within 616-timeline are now background characters. Even if we are in 2022.
    Come on, Dazzler would be the best ambassador for Krakoa.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
    I feel the same way. It also bothers me that characters with unique mutant powers and relevant stories within 616-timeline are now background characters. Even if we are in 2022.
    Come on, Dazzler would be the best ambassador for Krakoa.
    I mean it's not hard to beat having a guy who once publicly tried to kill 90% of the world as your public face. (Yes I know Apocalypse wasn't their actual official diplomat but they kept on bringing him into meetings in what I assume was some really dumb attempt at intimidation. Really dumb.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    For sure! It’s been a while so some details are fuzzy.

1) Kurt’s solution of forcing abuser and abused together in the same space in service of the Cortez redemption plot.
    2) Kurt’s sudden sex negativity towards Stacy X.
    3) Legion violating Mercury and Loa’s trust and first intimate experience (which he apologized for but it got swept under the rug very quickly).
    4) The ending did not hit for me. The Spark was such a vague “fix it all” idea and the book suddenly went from “we need to try to figure out a common value system” to “we need to become some sort of police force”.
    5) Kurt’s portrayal as a whole just made him seem kinda clueless tbh.
    I can't disagree with any of these, most of my issues with the run are along the same idea, although additionally I thought Onslaught was boring as hell, and as per usual not utilized at all. For the evil sides of Charles and Erik he is nearly always a disapointment.

And yes, the Spark is so generic it better be fleshed out because otherwise god is it boring as a guiding philosphy...religion....whatever it is supposed to be.

Also, what is it with the 2022 comments?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I'm very much over the whole 'not forgiving those who've wronged you does you more harm than them' because like I'm all for the power of forgiveness, but for it to HAVE power it has to be a CHOICE and far too many narratives tend to be more concerned with backing victims into a corner where choosing NOT to forgive is treated as a form of self-harm, which kinda.
    Yeah. Not obsessing about revenge is good... being forced to forgive? Not so much. How are victims to stand their ground and fight back if they are forced to shake hands and forgive the people who hurt them, every time...?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Yeah. Not obsessing about revenge is good... being forced to forgive? Not so much. How are victims to stand their ground and fight back if they are forced to shake hands and forgive the people who hurt them, every time...?
    At least we haven't hit the worst possible version of this, which is them recognizing Red Skull as a mutant because he had Xavier's brain inside him and he gets amnesty. (Yes, that could make him a mutant, given marvel's typical approach to genetics). I'm really glad no one ever thought of that possibility.

To remain a mutant sanctuary, Krakoa must safeguard itself against those who would damage its peace or traumatize its people. The lost must be found, and the wicked must face redemption — or retribution. It’s up to the ever-soulful swashbuckler Nightcrawler to keep the spark alive and the omega-level mutant Legion to host a unique team in the psychedelic mindspace called the Altar. With a host of X-Favorites on the beat including magical young X-Man Pixie, one-man riot squad Juggernaut, the recently-returned and ever-mysterious Blindfold, the X-Men’s resident super genius Dr. Nemesis, and more, the Legion of X will do anything to protect mutants’ right to pursue happiness and hope.

Hey that sounds like what X-Force was supposed to be.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I know this is off topic but I don't want to create a new thread for it, does anyone know what new ongoing titles are coming out after Death & Lives of Wolvie?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    To remain a mutant sanctuary, Krakoa must safeguard itself against those who would damage its peace or traumatize its people. The lost must be found, and the wicked must face redemption — or retribution. It’s up to the ever-soulful swashbuckler Nightcrawler to keep the spark alive and the omega-level mutant Legion to host a unique team in the psychedelic mindspace called the Altar. With a host of X-Favorites on the beat including magical young X-Man Pixie, one-man riot squad Juggernaut, the recently-returned and ever-mysterious Blindfold, the X-Men’s resident super genius Dr. Nemesis, and more, the Legion of X will do anything to protect mutants’ right to pursue happiness and hope.

Hey that sounds like what X-Force was supposed to be.
    To be fair, I think Legion is supposed to be more internal security and peacekeeping while X-Force is more foreign threats. Not that X-force has been good for either, considering the cavalcade of failures they keep on going through. And typically you want your peacekeeping/justice system up first instead of relying on vigilante justice for that kind of thing. Honestly a miracle if they haven’t had a lynching yet.

More Pixie, Blindfold and Dust ? Thansk Mr. Spurrier !!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I know this is off topic but I don't want to create a new thread for it, does anyone know what new ongoing titles are coming out after Death & Lives of Wolvie?
    Immortal X-men
    New Mutants
    X-men Red
    I can't believe it's not Excalibur!
    X-men
    X-Force
    Legion of X

We also have the Sabretooth mini, and the threatened Nature Girl book as well if that comes about.

You forgot Marauders which hopefully starts to utilize it's entire cast.