Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dark Knights of Steel Discussion Lounge (SPOILERS)

I don't know if there was a discussion thread for this week's drop for Dark Knights of Steel #3, so I'm just gonna make a blanket discussion lounge for this series so I don't have to hunt one down each release . spoilers welcomed obviously.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

anyway, I was enjoying this series a lot right up until they killed goddamn Black Lightning; wtf! I wasn't too happy when they killed his son (who seemed like a cool new idea for BL) in the same issue he was introduced, but I could respect the choice given the story. but the killing of King Jefferson just makes me feel gyped. we didn't nearly get enough of him (and I don't mean that in the "can't get enough" kinda way) given how front facing he's been up to this point, and it feel gyped by the fact that the most front facing person of color went out so poorly. he watches his son get murdered in from of him and is powerless to stop it, then gets murdered the issue immediately after? I wouldn't have a problem with him dying if we were deeper in and we got to see him do more in the story but this ain't a good look. I was really digging this story thus far but if they don't show me something to make up for this move next issue I might have to drop it. that Jefferson kill left a horrendous taste in my mouth.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm rapidly losing patience with this book, too. It's trying so desperately to be a DCU-themed Game of Thrones, yet forgetting to make us actually care about these characters before killing them off or having them turn evil. It's like Taylor's hopped up on Adderall or thinks the book's gonna get cancelled if he doesn't provide enough shocks that mostly fall flat because there's no space for any character development.

To be fair, I suppose the argument could be made that Taylor doesn't need to do too much character development because he knows the readers will automatically be invested in them because they're all D&D variants of classic DCU characters. However, in the case of Diana and Not-Kara, we barely got any time to care about their relationship before Not-Kara went full-Injustice on everyone.

I really want to love this book. The art is gorgeous and the premise is great, but man does Taylor need to calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm rapidly losing patience with this book, too. It's trying so desperately to be a DCU-themed Game of Thrones, yet forgetting to make us actually care about these characters before killing them off or having them turn evil. It's like Taylor's hopped up on Adderall or thinks the book's gonna get cancelled if he doesn't provide enough shocks that mostly fall flat because there's no space for any character development.

To be fair, I suppose the argument could be made that Taylor doesn't need to do too much character development because he knows the readers will automatically be invested in them because they're all D&D variants of classic DCU characters. However, in the case of Diana and Not-Kara, we barely got any time to care about their relationship before Not-Kara went full-Injustice on everyone.

I really want to love this book. The art is gorgeous and the premise is great, but man does Taylor need to calm down.
    Taylor delivering shock value and relying on people's preconceptions of the characters going into it has been a go-to for his Elseworld stories.

Always Rakzo

Copy-pasting:

We're discussing this here?

Because I thought that at the very least the discussions between the different kingdoms were better handled in issue 3 than in the last chapter BUT you quickly come back to reality once you realize that all of this happens because of the unbelievably stupid antagonist that is Zala Jor-El who simply goes mad with vengeance, killing everyone she hates and makes everyone react to that. There's no mystery, no deeper meaning, no plot at all, this is all worthless.

Take in comparison something like Venditti's current World of Krypton who handles similar topics and even has an apparently just as dumb antagonist ("Kru-El" ugh) but he instead gets out of the plot pretty quickly and just serves as a catalyst for the real moral conflict between the families that has apparently been building-up for years. Not perfect but at least World of Krypton has a more interesting take on it so far.

At least the art in Dark Knights of Steel is pretty I guess.

Hope his wife does a better job because Black Lightning was a complete idiot in this story.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-05-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Really nice art but that's pretty much it for me.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-05-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Black lighting ordering a monarch assassination, admitting it publicly and not expecting that the flying gods he declared war against would demand some kind of retribution was indeed idiotic.

Supergirl was so strong that it was just sad seeing how unmatched she was. How was Black Lightning not prepared? Wasn't he supposed to be cunning?

Also, if supergirl killed his son, why did she not kill Black Lightning himself and his daughters as well in the second issue? it didn't seem like she was too worried about killing innocents, and she could have done it easily and end their line and house.
    Her agenda and plans aren't clear at all.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-05-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Tune out after they BL son was killed (how very lame) & didn’t look back

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

It's possible that Zara isn't Zara at all but perhaps a Martian. She is supposedly acting out of character, according to Diana, and appears to be the one who took the kryptonite (unharmed?). And, while the Green Man is a Lantern, the prophesised "green man" from the stars might be a green Martian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Black lighting ordering a monarch assassination, admitting it publicly and not expecting that the flying gods he declared war against would demand some kind of retribution was indeed idiotic.

Supergirl was so strong that it was just sad seeing how unmatched she was. How was Black Lightning not prepared? Wasn't he supposed to be cunning?

Also, if supergirl killed his son, why did she not kill Black Lightning himself and his daughters as well in the second issue? it didn't seem like she was too worried about killing innocents, and she could have done it easily and end their line and house.
    Her agenda and plans aren't clear at all.
    If it is Zala then yes it’s incredibly idiotic that she didn’t just kill the whole family. If it’s an imposter as I’ve seen other speculate, then her not killing him could make sense. She wanted him to secure an alliance with the Amazons against the Els, then she kills BL to force the Amazons to honor their promise and go to war.

BL is a moron regardless for how he’s handled everything. That he seriously had zero defenses against the Els just flying over and murdering him yet decided to kill Jor is beyond idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    It's possible that Zara isn't Zara at all but perhaps a Martian. She is supposedly acting out of character, according to Diana, and appears to be the one who took the kryptonite (unharmed?). And, while the Green Man is a Lantern, the prophesised "green man" from the stars might be a green Martian.
    I’ve seen some people speculate that it’s a fake out and “Zala” is actually someone impersonating her. Makes sense and I guess we’ll see if that’s the case.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If it is Zala then yes it’s incredibly idiotic that she didn’t just kill the whole family. If it’s an imposter as I’ve seen other speculate, then her not killing him could make sense. She wanted him to secure an alliance with the Amazons against the Els, then she kills BL to force the Amazons to honor their promise and go to war.

BL is a moron regardless for how he’s handled everything. That he seriously had zero defenses against the Els just flying over and murdering him yet decided to kill Jor is beyond idiotic.

I’ve seen some people speculate that it’s a fake out and “Zala” is actually someone impersonating her. Makes sense and I guess we’ll see if that’s the case.
    I would like it better if that weren`t the case. It makes a better story if there is difficult decisions to be made. But alas, thats exatly what I think is happening.

Liked this issue but not as much as the last 2. Again, I am not a fan of Jefferson's characterization. He kills Jor-El and then calls the death of his son evil. Also, like last issue, I`m left wondering what kind of repercussions he expected. You kill an Alien with godlike powers with no plan or foresight that they may want retribution. He comes off as both a hypocrite and idiot.

I still can't get over Kara. Surprised Taylor would make her so evil
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I still can't get over Kara. Surprised Taylor would make her so evil
    Explains why she's not called Kara...if that is really her.

Mighty Member

I'm not surprised Black Lightning died because the general fantasy trope is that the older generation is killed off while the young are forced to fight their battles but the way it was done was stupid and I am not a fan of Jefferson's characterization, did he not expect that his actions could lead to dire consequences.

While Zala seeking revenge is reasonable, she comes off as too evil and seems determined to drive all the kingdoms to war.