Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Terror to the Deep: Black Manta (David Hyde/Kane) Appreciation Thread 2022

Created by: Bob Haney and Nick Cardy

First appearance:Aquaman #35 (September 1967).

Abilities: Manta possesses a keen scientific mind and is an expert in mechanical engineering and military tactics. He is typically a non-powered human outside of unyielding ruthlessness and determination; however, in earlier depictions, Black Manta possessed some degree of advanced stamina and endurance as a result of a serum that cured him of autism. Manta is a ruthless combatant who is extremely proficient in hand-to-hand combat and swordsman, but generally relies more on advanced technology, magical relics, and strategic planning than direct physical confrontations. Manta has used a Black Pearl that could control the seas, the Globe of Transportation, the Scepter which sunk Atlantis, the Tear of Extinction, and a plethora of other ancient mystical artifacts over the course of his career. He also often uses a variety of unique vehicles, such as a modified manta ray-shaped submarine, for traveling underwater.

Manta most regularly utilizes his nigh-invulnerable battle suit that enhances his physical strength and durability to superhuman levels. the suit allows him to throw cars with ease, lift additional 5000 Ibs more than without the suit, and fight toe-to-toe with powerhouses like his rival Aquaman. The armor is made to adapt to any oceanic environment, providing complete resistance to deep sea pressures and granting Black Manta the ability to breathe underwater. The suit also includes a jet pack propulsion system that functions in or out of water, a telepathic scrambler, and a wide array of different weapons and gadgets including: twin swords, a hand trident, a wrist-mounted speargun on the right arm, a harpoon, deployable miniaturized torpedoes, and his iconic diving helmet that can discharge powerful optic blasts from the eye lenses.

ESSENTIAL READING(WILL EDIT)
    • Aquaman: Death of a Prince, by various writers
    • Aquaman by Peter David Book 1
    • Underworld Unleashed, by Mark Waid
    • Aquaman: "The Others", by Geoff John
    • Aquaman: "Sea Change", by Geoff Johns and Tony Bedard
    • Forever Evil, by Geoff Johns
    • Aquaman, Vol. 1: The Drowning & Vol. 2: Black Manta Rising by Dan Abnett
    • The Rise of Aqualad" Teen Titans, by Benjamin Percy
    • Justice League: Drowned Earth by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV
    • Black Manta written by Chuck Brown & art by

[stay militant my mantamen...]

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

In, I've been enjoying the hell out his series.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

[l e g a c y]
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Happy New Year to Black Manta and fans .

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    In, I've been enjoying the hell out his series.
    same! It slick became my favorite book out of 2021; or at least top 3. I really dig what DC's doing with limited series like Black Manta and Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom, both felt like series that were made expressly to build a stronger foundation for their characters going forward. I am really loving what Chuck Brown has been doing with Manta's heritage and supporting cast. Gallus the GOAT, Torrid, and Devil Ray all feel very refreshing and are compelling additions to Manta's orbit. I hope we get more solo material with Manta after this series wraps.

currently following:

Black Manta #5 Preview

Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-16-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Continuity questions abound, but whatever .

Astonishing Member

It's always cool to be able to learn that the "minions" and henchpeople of villains are indeed people. And some of them are just as bright, capable, and ambitious as the villains themselves, and mayhaps even more so in some, if not many, cases.

Devil Ray becoming enamored with the majesty of Black Manta and modeling himself after his hero, only to become disillusioned with Manta after it became clear that Manta only cared about himself and his own petty grudges and vendettas, is pretty darn cool. It's also a pretty cool way to give Manta a "'This is the reason you suck' Speech" not related to his failings and atrocities as a father (or lack thereof), that ties into an old character beat he once had. Though when you think on it, Devil Ray probably saw Manta as a sort of father in a sense, so that actually makes the disillusionment all the stronger and more compelling.

This setup kind of feels like the narrative is getting ready to remove Devil Manta, and I hope that's not the case. I hope we don't lose him as an Anti-Villain.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-17-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's always cool to be able to learn that the "minions" and henchpeople of villains are indeed people. And some of them are just as bright, capable, and ambitious as the villains themselves, and mayhaps even more so is some, if not many, cases.

Devil Ray becoming enamored with the majesty of Black Manta and modeling himself after his hero, only to become disillusioned with Manta after it became clear that Manta only cared about himself and his own petty grudges and vendettas is pretty darn cool. It's also a pretty cool way to give Manta a "'This is the reason you suck' Speech" not related to his failings and atrocities as a father (or lack thereof), that ties into an old character beat he once had. Though when you think on it, Devil Ray probably saw Manta as a sort of father in a sense, so that actually makes the disillusionment all the stronger and more compelling.

This setup kind of feels like they narrative is getting ready to remove Devil Manta, and I hope that's not the case. I hope we don't lose him as an Anti-Villain.
    Never meet your heroes...especially if they're villains.

(Although that scene of him being a janitor for Task Force X is hilarious).

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's always cool to be able to learn that the "minions" and henchpeople of villains are indeed people. And some of them are just as bright, capable, and ambitious as the villains themselves, and mayhaps even more so is some, if not many, cases.

Devil Ray becoming enamored with the majesty of Black Manta and modeling himself after his hero, only to become disillusioned with Manta after it became clear that Manta only cared about himself and his own petty grudges and vendettas is pretty darn cool. It's also a pretty cool way to give Manta a "'This is the reason you suck' Speech" not related to his failings and atrocities as a father (or lack thereof), that ties into an old character beat he once had. Though when you think on it, Devil Ray probably saw Manta as a sort of father in a sense, so that actually makes the disillusionment all the stronger and more compelling.

This setup kind of feels like they narrative is getting ready to remove Devil Manta, and I hope that's not the case. I hope we don't lose him as an Anti-Villain.
    You brought up some strong points of observation, and I am waiting to get this hopefully as a complete set in GN form. This is what we need more of. We are getting a non batman/Superman book, on the villain of another hero. Its seems like Manta is really being fleshed out. I love that there's no shying away from nuanced portrayal of a black man. D.C. is doing Marvel even fumbles at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Continuity questions abound, but whatever .
    how so?

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    how so?

The chronology, costumes, status quo's, seem all over the place.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

At this point people are just drawing the costumes they like which I would do to honestly.

Astonishing Member

Not sure about any of that, but the big thing is that this feels rather nitpicky a thing to takeaway from what it otherwise a strong, compelling, and engrossing story that makes sense.