Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    So I am gonna guess that any self-respecting Spidey fan (i.e: the vast majority of members here!) has seen the new movie by now.
    I actually haven't seen it yet. I'm not excited to go and the bad reviews haven't done anything to change that.

1) Spider-Man 2---Molina's Doc Ock was killer and, while I was not a fan of either Toby Maguire or Kirsten Dunst, this film got the mix just right.

2) Spider-Man---The costume and mask for Green Goblin was unforgiveably goofy but the rest was solid.

3) Amazing Spider-Man--Marc Webb just doesn't know how to do a central villain; this Lizard was just bad. Garfield/Stone are magic, though.

4) Spider-Man 3---A near complete mess. Venom could've been ok, Sandman was pretty bad and it just all falls apart. Decent FX but that's about it.
    My list is the same as yours. I suspect ASM2 will probably take the 4 or 5 spot just because of Garfield and Stone. Can you imagine if you removed Maguire/Dunst from the TAS and replaced them with Garfield/Stone? That would make those movies perfect. I loved Dafoe as Norman and Molina as Octavius. James Franco wasn't bad as Harry either. Wonder if DeHaan is better?

- Jason G. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by CBR League Unlimited View Post
    That last comment is hilarious
    The sequel is a MASSIVE improvement to you
    Absolutely! I genuinely disliked ASM 1, in spite of trying to do otherwise. There is no desire to ever see it again and if the movie were laying by the side of the road I would stomp on it rather than pick it up and take it home. I went in the theater expecting to dislike ASM 2, but it hooked me in the first ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    James Franco wasn't bad as Harry either. Wonder if DeHaan is better?
    Franco was better, but thats only because he had a better script and bigger role than DeHaan had in this movie. DeHaan was good, and did well with what he had. DeHaan's goblin was pretty sucky, though. He might as well have just dressed himself as a giant fruit bat and chucked poop at Peter, for all the difference his appearance made to the movie. He also does this awkward giggle that thankfully didn't last long. But he doesn't really do anything, just starts a fight with Peter and gets beat up in two seconds. Gwen, well, she was just really in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-05-2014 at 05:44 PM.

ASM 2
    ASM
    Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 3
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Amazing Member

Spider-man 2 - Doc Ock is my favorite bad guy and I just through they told the best story of the five movies and frankly it's the only one with a happy ending
    Spider-man - It's a little dated now but this movie was really done when it first came out and blew a lot of people's minds and was in some ways the first "modern" Super Hero movie that didn't have Batman in it.
    ASM 2 - The love story between Gwen and Peter was so well told in this movie and unlike SM3 I didn't think the three bad guys made the move feel crowded.
    ASM - I have to admit I am not as high on this movie as probably some others are. I just didn't like Andrew Garfield as Spider-man in this movie and I am sure I am in the minority for that. I am also just not a big Lizard fan.
    Spider-man 3 - As much as I love Spider-man this movie is just hard to watch. There was just too much in this movie and too many new characters that weren't needed crowded into this movie for it to work.

Fantastic Member

My rankings.

1: The Amazing Spider-Man. I thought this movie was perfect. Nailed Peter and his relationship with Uncle Ben and Aunt May perfectly, yet felt contemporary. If this came out in 2002 and Raimi's was the reboot everyone would love this movie, trust me. It did a good job of blending the fantastical with 'real life' and had the best character development.

2: Rise of Electro. Webb's series is obviously the better series. It felt a bit too 'busy' and Harry needed more screentime, but apart from those quibbles this was very good. It captured the very core of who Spider-Man is better than any other movie ever made and was a worthwhile adaption of the best Spider-Man story ever written. Funny, brutal and thrilling, this is the one that stays with you once you leave the cinema.

3: Spider-Man 2. The best of Raimi's movies, and one of the best superhero movies ever made. It got the struggle that made Peter so popular down perfectly. It manged to set up the third one, continue on from the first movie and also stand alone as a fantastic piece of drama. The only problem was that it suffered by having Mary-Jane Watson as the main super villain (seriously, she's nuts in this trilogy! I like to imagine that the hug at the end of 3 is them moving on and that Peter ends up settling down with the Raimi-verse's Gwen. But I digress.)

4: Spider-Man. The original. The one that put our hero on the big screen and into the public eye and also the one that kicked off this whole fad (with help from X-Men). I used to watch the VHS every night after school. A well performed, enjoyable superhero movie that still means a lot to me. I now enjoy the newer ones more, but I still love this movie.

5: Spider-Man 3. Not a bad movie, but not as good as the other four. That's for sure. I was even a little disappointed after I saw it. Too much melodrama, too much dancing (both Peter and Harry) and too much suffering. It also didn't feel like a proper ending because at the time they were planning on making more. I liked it sure, and I thought Topher Grace was good, but it's just not as good as the others. Still better than Daredevil, Fantastic Four and the 90's Batman movies IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    The Amazing Spider-Man. I thought this movie was perfect. Nailed Peter and his relationship with Uncle Ben and Aunt May perfectly, yet felt contemporary. If this came out in 2002 and Raimi's was the reboot everyone would love this movie, trust me.
    Nope. Here's the thing. I don't judge ASM 1+2 comparatively based on my opinion of the Raimi movies. I'm a movie fan way more than I'm specifically a Spidey fan, so I judge them purely on their own merits as movies.

And Amazing 1+2 just aren't very good movies.

BANNED

1. Amazing Spider-Man
    2. Amazing Spider-Man 2

I'm not ranking Toby's. He made Peter seem like a wimp.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

1. Amazing Spider-Man 2: It is flawed. More so than any other outside of 3. The pacing's wonky (though that actually serves the fight with Harry well, it coming out of nowhere makes it all the more terrifying), Harry and Electro both needed more room to breathe, and there's some godawful dialogue. But it just feels right in a way none of the others did, and every single actor in there elevates the hell out of what they're doing. Especially Dane DeHaan, who while he wasn't really playing any sort of traditional depiction of Harry, just absolutely knocks the goddamn doors down. His desperation and rage are absolutely palatable, and I can't wait to see what he does next--the closest thing I have to a complain about his performance was that it was so similar to his performance as Andrew in Chronicle, though that's clearly why he got the part in the first place.

2. Amazing Spider-Man: Andrew Garfield was a revelation as actually playing the real Pete Parker and doing a fine job of it. Dragged down by the half-assed Lizard.

3. Spider-Man 2: Alfred Molina's phenomenal performance as Otto Octavius didn't change the fact that this movie represents basically everything that's gone wrong with the Spider-Man franchise, prizing pointless handwringing and suffering over advancement and actual relatability. But it was an objectively good flick.

3. Spider-Man: Not nearly as great in retrospect (particularly in regards to Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man, no matter how well he did with what he was given), but a fun time regardless.

4. Spider-Man 3: Take either Sandman or Venom (if it were up to Raimi Venom, up to me Sandman) and zero in on James Franco's finale as Harry (the best part of the original trilogy to me) and it could have been something really special. As is...well, it was Spider-Man 3.

So I am gonna guess that any self-respecting Spidey fan (i.e: the vast majority of members here!) has seen the new movie by now. Howzabout we do a quick rank of where it falls compared to Sam Raimi's trilogy and the first TASM movie? For me, they rank like this:

1) Spider-Man 2---Molina's Doc Ock was killer and, while I was not a fan of either Toby Maguire or Kirsten Dunst, this film got the mix just right.

2) Spider-Man---The costume and mask for Green Goblin was unforgiveably goofy but the rest was solid.

3) Amazing Spider-Man 2---Take out the entire Electro character/plot and we might have had greatness.

4) Amazing Spider-Man--Marc Webb just doesn't know how to do a central villain; this Lizard was just bad. Garfield/Stone are magic, though.

5) Spider-Man 3---A near complete mess. Venom could've been ok, Sandman was pretty bad and it just all falls apart. Decent FX but that's about it.

Pretty much agree with everything here. I would put ASM 2 tied for 2nd with Spiderman or above it only for the fact that Garfield and Stone were awesome in this especially Stone, she was the shining star.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

1) Spider-Man 2: MJ ruins the movie for me but Ock is amazing.
    2) Spider-Man: Pretty good until the origin story is over, then it falls apart.
    3) Amazing Spider-Man: It's not as bad as the last two on the list
    4) Spider-Man 3: Too many moving parts, too many lapses in logic (MJ breaking up with Peter because Harry threatened him...). Crappy end to a mediocre series.
    5) Amazing Spider-Man 2: Offensively bad. The only thing that is actually enjoyable about it is seeing Spidey in action, and if thats all a movie has going for it I'd rather play a videogame.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    1) Spider-Man 2: MJ ruins the movie for me but Ock is amazing.
    2) Spider-Man: Pretty good until the origin story is over, then it falls apart.
    3) Amazing Spider-Man: It's not as bad as the last two on the list
    4) Spider-Man 3: Too many moving parts, too many lapses in logic (MJ breaking up with Peter because Harry threatened him...). Crappy end to a mediocre series.
    5) Amazing Spider-Man 2: Offensively bad. The only thing that is actually enjoyable about it is seeing Spidey in action, and if thats all a movie has going for it I'd rather play a videogame.
    Your list is identical to mine dude. ASM2 was making me angry whilst watching. The only thing going for it was spidey moving through the city. Garfield, Stone and her death. Loved that bit. The rest, to me, was S**t.

Spider-Man 2: For me, the theme of power and responsibility is best captured in this movie. We see Peter struggling between his obligations to his friends and family as Peter Parker and to the city as Spider-Man—to the point where he considers giving up being Spider-Man completely. Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock is one of my favorite portrayals of all time, and the action scenes are great.

“Sometimes, to do what’s right, we must be steady and give up the things we want the most—even our dreams.”

At this point, I should point out how strong Elfman’s score was for the first two films. The main theme and Doc Ock’s suite were great. The opening of this movie, which was essentially a “Previously on Spider-Man” sequence, got me really excited for what came next.

Spider-Man: The film that started it all. For an early 2000’s film, and one of the first modern approaches to a super hero, I think they did it pretty well. I enjoyed the portrayals of Norman Osborn and Harry Osborn, even if the goblin costume wasn’t my favorite. The casting for Jameson was perfect, and I sorely miss him in the new films.

TASM 2: I really enjoyed this movie. If you look too closely, it certainly has its flaws, but there were many moments of greatness too. The acting (especially Peter and Gwen) stands out, and the action was first rate. This movie did a great job of capturing Spidey’s humor, which was in tragic short supply in the Rami films (although the Rami films did have plenty of Peter Parker humor).

Spider-Man 3: Like TASM 2, this movie certainly had its flaws. Among them, Sandman being defeated with the power of love and forgiveness, a Venom letdown, and Sandman being Uncle Ben’s killer. But my least favorite Spidey movie is still…

TASM: As a Spider-Man fan, I’ve enjoyed every movie, but this was the only one that left me disappointed. I liked TASM 2 a lot, so I’m not anti-reboot in principle, but I think there was a lot of wrong here. The misplaced focus on the parents, the design of the Lizard (and Connors’ character here period) weren’t to my liking, but my biggest gripe will always be the decision to retell the origin. I will never understand why didn’t they just start out with Peter already as Spider-Man, and will always feel like I should have paid half the price of the ticket since I was really just seeing half of a new film.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Spider-Man 2
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 3

It was a toss up for me between SM and ASM.
    I appreciated the latter's tone more, but SM had fewer mistakes.

I think everybody agrees that AMS 2 is a flawed movie, but it ultimately comes down to how much those flaws bother you.
    It could've been by far the best Spidey movie, but I still had a blast.
    Besides, any movie that had the guts to kill Gwen can't be all that bad.

5) Spider-Man 3: Like X-Men 3, this one gets lambasted fairly regularly (and rightly so). Like X-Men 3, this one was also the biggest financial success of the franchise at the box office, something most people seem to forget. Without harping over the usual negatives and instead focusing on the positive, this movie did have sum cool stuff to it. Our first live action Gwen, and man was she a hottie. A badass Venom, yea he was shoehorned in, but those fight scenes with Spidey were Amazing and Spectacular. And continuing in the tradition of Spidey 2 with Doc Ock, this movie presents a version of the Sandman thats sympathetic and deserving of pity. Not the grandiose, do shit for the sake of evil shit we'd cum to see so often. In five minutes, Sam Raimi manages an origin sequence that gets to the heart of the character with a performance from Thomas Haden Church to match.

4) Amazing Spider-Man: A moar Ultimatized retelling of the origin. Captures the youthful romance aspect fairly well. But then why wouldn't it, since it was clearly aimed at the woe is me Twilight crowd.

3) Spider-Man: Raimi just purrfectly captures the mood of a Spidey comic into a two hour frame. It's easy to forget nao that the comic book movie explosion has taken off, but this was one of the pioneers of that resurgence. And while movies like Blade and X-Men had played it straight, with dark and serious sensibilities, Spider-Man mixes a coming of age story with humour and adventure and superheroics. Raimi's love for the source material shines throughout.

2) Spider-Man 2: As PAD himself has said, the purrfect comic book movie. Oh don't get me wrong, there have been better movies with comic book heroes in them, i.e. The Dark Knight. But none have ever managed to feel like a comic pulled from the quite like this. It's interesting to note, that aside from a new villain and not having to cover an origin, note for note this movies covers the exact same beats as the first one. But that's the thing about love, it makes you blind to little faults along the cracks.

1) The Amazing Spider-Man and the Deadly Dust: The Granddaddy of the Super Hero boom. Nicholas Hammond turns in a tour de force in an Emmy deserving performance as Peter Parker. Robert Simon would cum to define the role of J. Jonah Jameson, as the kind hearted and thoughtful caretaker of the Daily Bugle. Clocking in at an hour and a half, this movie manages to get at the core of Spidey by stripping away all the extraneous notes like Aunt May and a dead Uncle Ben, and gives us a groovy Spider-Dude facing non-powered realistic opponents with relatable grievances, like three college students setting off a nuclear bomb to kill the President. A copy of the film sits aside the Library of Congress, a quaint reminder of cinematic history in its glorious heyday.

Extraordinary Member

1) Spider Man 2: Was the best comic book movie ever made until Iron Man came out. Great villain,
    really good story and its even true to the feel of early Lee/Ditko comics.

2) Spider Man: Did what many people at the time thought was impossible-put a colorful super hero on
    screen who wasn't Superman and made it work. McGuire is playing early Lee/Ditko Spidey and Dunst
    is playing an MJ/Gwen hybrid but JK Simmons killed as a DEAD ON Jonah. Kudos for Willem Dafoe for
    pulling off a crazy as hell Norman Osborne.

3) Spider Man 3: suffered from "too many villains-its" and a deliberately funny "dark Peter" that
    only angered fans but it managed to sell the gen-x love story at its core as well as its central theme
    of forgiveness suprisingly well.

4) Amazing Spider Man Not so much a movie as it is the result of a maketing decision, ASM is a
    reboot that struggles to justify itself. Luckily this movie has Garfield/Stone as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy.
    Garfield's straight-from-the-comics wiseacre Spidey and Garfield/Stone chemistry and thier romance manages
    to overshadow the movie's flawed villian and the kinda boring conspiracy plotline.

5) Amazing Spider Man 2 More "too many villains-its" and this time it comes at the
    expense of the only things this series has gotten right to date: the chemistryof its young cast.
    Failing to give its any of villains decent motivations this movie is offensively bad in my eyes.
    I'm actually mad I paid money to see this.