Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

1. Spider-man II (B+)
    2. Spider-man (B)
    3. Amazing Spider-man (B)
    4. Amazing Spider-man 2 (C+) - maybe if the whole film wasn't given away in the Trailer or if Electro and Green Goblin didn't feel like two films smushed together this would have been higher ranked. I also feel like Andrew Garfield took a step back from #1.
    5. Spider-man III (D)

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Spider-Man II
    Amazing II
    Amazing
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man III

Spider-Man 2 for my money still is the best Spidey film. Actually showed the burden of actually being a superhero and overcoming it.

Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man I are about equal in my book. They both had far better pacing than Amazing II, but Spider-Man I has aged horribly Amazing had a really by-the numbers Villain and so-so story. II was all over the place, but the actors had fantastic chemistry, and the scenes that were really good just hit it out of the park.

Spider-Man 3 was and still is trash.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 05-12-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Amazing II
    Spider Man III
    Spider Man II
    Spider Man I
    Amazing I

ASM 2: I thought we finally got a version of Spider-man comic fans could be proud of.
    Spider man 2: So much about this was just great, not a huge Toby fan though.
    ASM 1/Spider-man 1: I liked both versions of the origin story, each had great moments and each had some bad moments to be honest.
    Spider-man 3: Emo Toby, 'nuff said.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - There are a lot of things it could've done better. I actually think if they'd not done Electro and just kept Harry as the villain the whole time, the whole movie would've been stronger for it. Arguably, it is a weaker film than some of the others but, the point is, I enjoyed it more than all the rest of the movies. In the end, I didn't really care that Harry's arc was short (it felt long enough to me) but I did care that his Goblin was shoehorned into the end when I think, originally, he had a lot more screen time that got cut in favor of setting up the Sinister Six stuff. I appreciate they tried to do something with a second-tier character named Electro that, likely, wasn't going to get his own movie to shine. And I honestly don't see how they could've handled RHINO any better. Gwen and Peter are perfect and Spider-Man is the Spider-Man I've been wanting to see since I started reading comic books. The multiple plot points never made it feel messy for me, though I can understand where people are coming from. Overall, I think it is the best out of the bunch. 9.5/10

Spider-Man 2 - This movie has a much cleaner narrative than the aforementioned film which makes it easier to sit through and enjoy...if you hate all characters besides Peter Parker, Doctor Octavius, J. Jonah Jameson and May Parker. Harry Osborn really doesn't work well, for me, in this film at all. His character arc is lame and doesn't deserve an entire trilogy to unfold as it is really a weak thread holding all three films together. Harry is blaming the guy that saves so many people for his father's death without REALLY knowing what happened. Mary Jane is a bitch that is constantly cheating with everyone. Spider-Man feels so much like Batman in these films, taking everything so seriously, never really cracking wise (I think Nolan's Batman made more jokes per film than him). Peter Parker, however, is perfectly captured in this film as he struggles with his life as Spider-Man. Doctor Octavius' arc is cool and makes a compelling villain, though I wished they'd avoided the cliche to just kill him at the end. J. Jonah Jameson is his usual self and JK Simmons is classic in the role as always. May Parker is embodied perfectly here, not much to say about it, just really felt it. 9.2/10

Spider-Man - Overall a stronger, more cohesive origin film than that of The Amazing Spider-Man. While good, Green Goblin never really seems like too great a villain: having very weak motivation, very bleak alter ego and just not much in terms of actual substance. Spider-Man suffers from the things that carry over into the second film. Peter Parker isn't handled as well here as he is in The Amazing Spider-Man franchise and Spider-Man 2 but he still is recognizable and a pretty relate-able character. Mary Jane isn't as much of a bitch here as in the second one but she really doesn't sit well with me in this one either, really feels more like Gwen Stacy than Mary Jane other than acting and going partying (but only from time to time, which is still like Gwen). Uncle Ben isn't really given the development he deserves so it doesn't really feel like he has that many emotional beats to him before he dies. Aunt May is, again, embodied correctly. 8.5/10

The Amazing Spider-Man - Peter Parker is captured, in all his essence, pretty well here. Of course, it is more modern but all superhero movies have been updated, just like Iron Man. Let's face it, if this had come out before Raimi's Spider-Man this would've been MUCH better received. Peter isn't unlikeable so much as makes bad decisions, which is pretty much a hallmark of his character right up until he owns the role of Spider-Man. Even early on, there was a pretty big learning curve. Gwen Stacy is a much more likeable love interest than Mary Jane as she is smart, funny and cute: all of which are brought to life by Emma Stone's charisma. Uncle Ben's death has more resonance with the movie than in Spider-Man but the meaning behind it is weaker because, at a spiritual level it is the same, but, physically, he got killed over chocolate milk. Aunt May isn't handled very well and she does get more important in the sequel but she doesn't have much to do here. The film feels cut really badly, especially when it comes to the Lizard who feels like he had very little material in the actual film to get you to care about him. The narrative just isn't as strong as the first three but still suffices as a solid Spider-Man film. 7.7/10

Spider-Man 3 - Of course this goes last. Peter Parker was handled well enough in the previous two films but is handled SO poorly here. Even before he gets the black suit he is a jerk and not someone who is actually likeable. Mary Jane just isn't interesting and continues to cheat on all her boyfriends. Gwen Stacy is practically Mary Jane in the comics but doesn't really get any kind of development that matters: more of a plot device than a character. Venom is handled really, extremely poorly, which might be forgiven if he survives the finale but he doesn't. Sandman is a lame villain to have headlining a film and the ploy to try to make him more interesting, while appreciated, still sucks. Harry's lame development into a villain is lost amid cliche but then brought back only to have him die in a relatively unemotional finale. May is given even less to do here than in The Amazing Spider-Man, taking a part of what made the other two great out as well. And, oh God, the dance scenes. The action is handled well enough...I guess. Um and the Spider-Man suit looks good: both black and classic. Uh...I really got nothing else. 4.5/10
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Spectacular Member ParticleFreezer's Avatar

1. Spider-man 2 I walked out thinking it was the greatest Superhero Movie ever, and Action wise it held that crown for 9 years. Doc Ock PERFECT. Train scene Perfect. etc etc

2. Spider-man . I appreciate That brutal fight with Goblin a lot more today because it was little to no CGI. Tightest film of the series.

3. TASM 2 Alot to LOVE but also Alot to cringe at....Loved Action and superspeed powers, Loved Electros(power set) Loved Gwen Stacy, LOVED LOVED LOVED Goblin. Cringed at practically everything else. the pointless cgi scene at the beginning, the gaping hole of non action in the middle, and lots and lots of cheesy dialogue to go along with a total no show of Hanz zimmer.

4. Spider-man 3 Im sorry, the previous production team just got the physics right so cant call it the worst film ever. wouldnt sit through again tho.

5. TASM Peter & Gwen & the car Jacking scene......EVERYTHING and I mean everythhing else sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by ParticleFreezer View Post
    1. Spider-man 2 I walked out thinking it was the greatest Superhero Movie ever, and Action wise it held that crown for 9 years. Doc Ock PERFECT. Train scene Perfect. etc etc

2. Spider-man . I appreciate That brutal fight with Goblin a lot more today because it was little to no CGI. Tightest film of the series.

3. TASM 2 Alot to LOVE but also Alot to cringe at....Loved Action and superspeed powers, Loved Electros(power set) Loved Gwen Stacy, LOVED LOVED LOVED Goblin. Cringed at practically everything else. the pointless cgi scene at the beginning, the gaping hole of non action in the middle, and lots and lots of cheesy dialogue to go along with a total no show of Hanz zimmer.

4. Spider-man 3 Im sorry, the previous production team just got the physics right so cant call it the worst film ever. wouldnt sit through again tho.

5. TASM Peter & Gwen & the car Jacking scene......EVERYTHING and I mean everythhing else sucked.
    You’re the first person I’ve seen with the same order as me! I knew that eventually there would be enough permutations of five for it to happen, but it’s still nice to see someone else with the same list.

Just curious, what movie came along nine years later that took away Spider-Man 2’s crown for you?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

1. Spider-Man 2
    2. Spider-Man
    3. TASM 2
    4. TASM
    5. Spider-Man 3

Default Old Vs. New Spiderman

Today The Nostalgia Critic gave his two cents on the Spiderman movies.

You can find the video here

But the break down went like this

Best Storyline: Old Spiderman movies

Best Villains: Old Spiderman movies

Which fits, better villains in a super hero movie, the better the storyline.

Best Action Sequences: New Spiderman movies

Best Love Interest: New Spiderman movies

Best Spiderman/Peter Parker: Andrew Garfield

Winner: New Spiderman movies.

For the most part, I feel his review is spot on except for the Love Interest. While I do like Gwen abit better then MJ. I think the critic was unfairly harsh in his assessment of the character. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Jer; 05-20-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Fantastic Member

Trying to break it down like this makes no sense. Movies aren't criticized on breaking them down into elements, they're a sum of their parts.

And the first two movies are the best, because Raimi manages, more than any other movie, to translate the manicness and the pathos of early Stan Lee Marvel to screen. Yeah, they have their imperfections. But they get across the pop art madness of early Marvel better than anything.

Basically, the new movies are just superhero movies. One (well, two) of many. But they aren't trying to be anything special. Sony's not looking to swing for the fences with the new franchise, they're just looking to get on base. Whereas the first two Spider-Man films were trying to hit homers as hard as they could.

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I don't like any of em! I mean I like the new ones a little more, but they're still certainly not great. In my opinion, we've yet to see an "Amazing" Spider-Man movie

Why do so many people post this guys videos as if he's some authority on something?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Trying to break it down like this makes no sense. Movies aren't criticized on breaking them down into elements, they're a sum of their parts.

And the first two movies are the best, because Raimi manages, more than any other movie, to translate the manicness and the pathos of early Stan Lee Marvel to screen. Yeah, they have their imperfections. But they get across the pop art madness of early Marvel better than anything.

Basically, the new movies are just superhero movies. One (well, two) of many. But they aren't trying to be anything special. Sony's not looking to swing for the fences with the new franchise, they're just looking to get on base. Whereas the first two Spider-Man films were trying to hit homers as hard as they could.
    While it's true that movies are a sum of the parts, I'd imagine a critic using this type of system will pick criteria that favors his preferred films.

There are several important criteria that aren't included, and that would favor Raimi: The quality of the direction and Best Non-Love Interest Supporting Cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Why do so many people post this guys videos as if he's some authority on something?
    He does have a lot of likes on facebook.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default Movies

Am I the only person who likes the reboot movies better than the Toby films?

1. Amazing Spider-Man - THIS is how you do a Spider-Man movie, to me.
    2. Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Very good, but I wasn't such a fan of Electro.
    3. Spider-Man 2 - Pretty good. I liked the Doc Ock character a lot more than the Spider-Man character though. This is kind of the problem I had with the original Batman movies. Villains were awesome, the hero was just there.
    4. Spider-Man - I admit that it was very cool to see Spider-Man on the big screen, but this does not hold up for me after multiple viewings.
    5. Spider-Man 3 - I'm trying really hard to think of something I liked about this movie. Venom had potential, I guess.