Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Inferno #4 Review/Spoilers

TL;DR at the bottom for those who don't want to read everything.

Xavier and Magneto vs Orchic, Omega Sentinel and Nimrod. The mutants ready to die for their cause. Nimrod and Omega Sentinel say that the humans don't matter, since it's a battle of the titans. So they start killing them. Omega then explains to Xavier that she hates humans as much as she hates mutants. The four battle, with the grandpas getting their asses kicked.

Back in Moira's No-Space, Moira tells Mystique and Destiny that they can't kill her, or her powers will reset everything. Mystique is all "lol" and shoots her anyway. And then... and then... and then...

The Death of Moira X.

Flashback to the past. Emma, Destiny and Mystique are talking. Emma explains that while Xavier looks into someone's mind, he sees their strengths. She sees their weaknesses, and when she read Moira's mind, she noticed Moira was trying to hide things from her, so Emma took a peak. She tells them about Moira's tracker in her arm. She gives them Forge's gun that turns mutants human. Mystique goes on to disguise herself as Sage to hack Krakoa's database and find Moira, then becomes an Orchis agent to infiltrate Terra Verde, chop off Moira's arm and take Moira away.

Cut to now. Mystique says that she's given Moira what she wanted: she's now human. Destiny confirms Moira's suspicions, they made her human so they can kill her. Destiny also says that she can't see **** because it's like a nexus point; there are so many possibilities that stem form their actions right now. But they want to lock in their good future.

Moira asks if it matters at all that she doesn't believe in it. Mystique says that no one cares about a traitor's opinion. Moira says that they've always lost, she's experienced this for thousands of years. Mystique and Destiny are mere children to her, talking about hopes and wishes. And then the truth comes out: Moira wants to save mutants from their fate. She wants to cure them. Moira has a cure in mind, one that cures anymore before they manifest. Kids grow up, not knowing what they lost.

Meanwhile, the golden guys are fighting the robots. Magneto turns Omega's body against her. Nimrod has Xavier, and Xavier tells Magneto they can't die, or else they'll lose their memories of what has happened and they won't know that Moira isn't with them. So they negotiate, where Nimrod and Mags will stay and fight while their friends leave. Magneto agrees, but Nimrod is all "lol psyche" and kills Xavier anyway. Magneto kicks Nimmy's ass. Omega uses a power dampener to **** him over.

With Mags on the ground, Omega talks about how machines are made as tools, then people try to destroy them when they turn into something more than that. She shoots Mags and kills him, but is sure they will inevitably meet again.

Suddenly, Hellion flies in and punches out Nimrod with his rocket fist. Since his hand is metal, not mutant, Nimrod can't do anything to stop it. Hellion expands a telekinetic barrier in the open wound he created in Nimrod's head, blowing him up. Nimrod can't heal because the space is occupied, and he dies.

Time skip to four months later. Hellion is now part of the Council. He's begun to restructure, and a new Quiet Council has been formed. It includes Laura, Wind Dancer, Tag, Dust, Wither, Mercury, Surge, Rockslide and Prodigy. Rockslide seems to have recovered from his Otherworld misadventure, since he makes a rude and boisterous remark about the old Council. Tag also mentions how much of a mess the old Council made, and how he (the new head of Hellfire Trading) has to clean it up.

We get an preview for Immortal X-Men, which is about the deposed Council. They call themselves the Quiet Council, and they represent the old regime. The New Council has been elected by the people of Krakoa, while the Quiet Council live on Arakko and want to reclaim their old position. Storm's pissed that she lost her crown, but Hellion thought that Dust was more deserving. Unbeknownst to them, Trance is spying on them with her astral projection.

The Krakoan at the end reads CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.

-------------

Okay, those last three paragraphs and Krakoan didn't happen. No Hellion fighting Nimrod, no new Council. Instead, we cut back to the bisexuals. Mystique is about to kill Moira when Doug shows up. Destiny pauses Mystique, saying that she's blind to Doug's actions because he "brings chaos and a breaking of time." Doug says that their plan has a small problem: if they made Moira human, killing her would break one of their laws. Doug is insistent they do the right thing. He says that "Those who are supposed to protect us always end up too busy protecting themselves to do the job. But that doesn't mean we can't be better." Mystique says she'll just kill him, but Doug says he won't die so easily. Doug reveals that he has Krakoa, Warlock and Bei backing him up.

Destiny can now see the future again, and they have three options: they can kill Moira, but Mystique will be exiled and Destiny will die six months after that. She won't be reborn after that. Option 2: they try to kill Doug and fail. Mystique dies and Destiny stays on the Council. Mystique maaaaaay be revived in about three years. Option three: they let Doug win and free Moira. All three of them remain on the Council and consolidate power. They pick option 3.

Warlock gives Moira a techno organic arm. Doug says that he doesn't care where Moira goes, since it'll probably be better than here. She's free to go wherever she wants, but the gate will seal itself to her afterwards. Moira asks if they'll wish her luck; Doug says no. Warlock does, but calls her a "self not friend."

A week later, Emma revives Mags and Charles. Emma reveals that in the time they were gone, she told the Council everything. They decided that keeping the secrets wasn't wrong, but they should have shared it with the Council instead. She gives him back Cerebro and welcomes him back. The end.

No Krakoan at the end. We just get a page that mentions Immortal X-Men.

TL;DR: Mystique uses Forge's gun to make Moira human again. Doug saves Moira and lets her escape. Warlock gave her a replacement TO arm. Mags and Xavier die fighting the robots, but Emma revives them a week later. The Council knows everything about Moira and they decide not to keep secrets from each other.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-05-2022 at 07:23 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Extraordinary Member

Before discussing the issue, can someone explain this running gag about Hellion in these forums?

Yo the Hellion ****! You actually had me for a second!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Before discussing the issue, can someone explain this running gag about Hellion in these forums?
    I don't think it really counts as a running gag if it's just me. And my thought process is: if I shitpost about Hellion enough, eventually the writers spying on us will take notice and throw Hellion a bone. If they don't, I will annoy them with constant Hellion references and make them miserable.

Anyway for Inferno itself: meh. Doug was good, but the issue felt really short. We all pretty much guessed what was going to happen with Moira, I'm fine with that. But after multiple issues where everything was turned on its head, ending with everything basically going back to normal, sans Moira, felt pretty anticlimactic. We didn't even get anything Magneto leaving, that's still going to be an Immortal X-Men exclusive.

We didn't learn anything about the lore, the "we won't keep secrets from each other" stuff will fall flat because a) the big secret is already out, and b) comic books rely on drama, so of course there will still be tons of secrets among the Council members.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Well first of all. Hellion is awesome AND he was right about Omega Sentinel. And once upon a time he almost completely destroyed her.

But the older generation of X-Men frowned upon it.

But look at us now.

They should have let him finish the job.

Mighty Member

Also, this means Moira is definitely a self-loathing villain now?

Made me dislike Doug protecting her butt.

Moira has a lot of resentment towards her x-gene and per her many lives towards humans, mutants and machines.

But now she has the T/O shenanigans so will she side with humans or machines now.

Astonishing Member

At the very least it would have spared whatever’s left of 616!Karima’s consciousness the horror of being turned into what she is now.

"We hate you just as much as them"

Oh wowzers we didn't see that coming...

Let's see...out of all the super species the only one that doesn't want to completely eradicate humanity is the *gasp* mutants.

All this build up of Nimrod being this unstoppable threat and Magneto was more than enough to belt him and OS alone until LOLpowerdampner.

There are mutants almost, just as and even more powerful than Magneto. This is why I can't take Orchis seriously.

Also Moira looks really bad now like yikes. The naievity from Doug was is just bad and irresponsible considering what he now knows unless he's just another double agent.

All in all this book just didn't do enough for me. It peaked in Issue #3 and fell flat in #4. Sucks because Hickman clearly wanted to do more.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 01-05-2022 at 07:30 AM.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Extraordinary Member

F*cking heck this was a read.The writing is so good, I got chills when Omega Sentinel said exactly what Cyclops did in HOX/POX.The 3 survival stuff of humans, mutants and machines is just *chef's kiss*

All the perfect callbacks like the one above and the Moira/Omega one about dreams and nightmares and all these character being reflections of one another.

Every character fitting into the puzzle and seeing it take a grander shape is amazing.Except the fact that mutants are overpowerd af rn and Orchis of all things shouldn't be a threat

All that being said this is anti-climatic, expected because the X-lives and deaths is the HOX/POX follow.The last page feels meta and rightfully so.

As a goodbye it's weak and far from what we deserve and would have gotten, Hickman thrives when he writes a beginning, middle and end as he stated.This was him handing over the reigns and it's great for that but damn were we robbed.

At the end of it all Inferno just serves as a reminder of what we will never have.I'm excited for Immortal X-men because of the writer and how much Hickman was excited for it as well and I hope that book keeps this vibe going.

Also they really put Bishop, Kwannon and Colossus on the promotion and they didn't have a single line.I don't mind because they never were a part of it but why bait
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 01-05-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Three things:

1.-Why the hell did Moira bother with Krakoa, then? With the Resurrection Protocols? Or giving birth to Proteus? Couldn't she just make her cure in secret and distribute the formula in secret to other scientists so Destiny can't track the origin?

2.-Forge's gun doesn't actually remove the X-gene, it only blocks powers; its effects can be reversed, and Moira is a scientist specializing on mutant powers.... she CAN reset the timeline.

3.-That arm is a future plot point... Can Doug spy on her? Will she learn to control it? Will Phalanx reach her through the arm? Is Moira the future Trickster Titan who sent Omega across time?

This didn't really do enough to the status quo to matter. Went from Moira in hiding and pulling the strings to Moira in hiding and on the run. Pretty much all of Hickman's planted story seeds have just fizzled out by this point, including that the timeline where mutants win got split into a timeline where the future for mutants is uncertain - i.e. same as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    F*cking heck this was a read.The writing is so good, I got chills when Omega Sentinel said exactly what Cyclops did in HOX/POX.The 3 survival stuff of humans, mutants and machines is just *chef's kiss*
    How about when Omega tells Magneto, just before killing him, “…we are the future. Not you.” Damn! That was basically Magneto’s line waaay back from the first X-men film, when talking to Charles…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRyP8bp0Io

That was just… masterfully done. This whole issue was great.

Emma saw through Moiras lies amazing.

This was good if a bit anticlimactic, as others have pointed out. It’s more of a setup for the new era than anything else.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."