Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Count me as someone who is disappointed with the issue and the entire event, but by this issue I wasn't expecting any better,

There is 0 reason whatsoever for this event to be called Inferno. Till the very end it was mostly just people talking politics with no burning and not much inn the way of action. It didn't have to take anything from the 80s Inferno, but it did need to feel like the name wasn't picked out of a hat and was relevant to something, anything. Even Trial of Magneto's title was better fitting than this and that is notorious for how badly it fits that story.

The PIS is pretty bad with Xavier and Magneto, which is a big peeve of mine, and very little actually gets resolved. Moira's still out there and how she plans to end mutants before they ever know they're mutants is left unexplained. Moira's endgame is just M-day all over again. That's a letdown. Orchis and Nimrod - not solved at all. I guess Mystique and Destiny are finally on board, so there's that, but they didn't have any goals beyond bringing Destiny to begin with, and once that was done any danger they represented to Krakoa vanished. They had no idea Moira existed until Emma told them. Colossus is just setup for a future story.

Doug is the standout, of course. I'm not sure what the point is of saving Moira once she reveals her true intentions, but still, kudos for an effective big damn hero moment.

I'd like this so much better if this story was told in an ongoing about the council politics where things could be properly seeded and built up and not stuffed into a 4-issue event where they're forced to include a pointless final-act action scene that takes up space more than it serves the plot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    How about when Omega tells Magneto, just before killing him, “…we are the future. Not you.” Damn! That was basically Magneto’s line waaay back from the first X-men film, when talking to Charles…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRyP8bp0Io

That was just… masterfully done. This whole issue was great.
    Great catch

All the callbacks and even dialogue felt so... powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This was good if a bit anticlimactic, as others have pointed out. It’s more of a setup for the new era than anything else.
    Now I’m keenly interested in XLoW/XDoW and what Logan has to do in it. Really hoping Percy delivers on it. While his Wolverine and X-Force runs have both meandered quite a bit over the past year or so and gotten pretty bogged down and boring (at least IMO), he came out of the gate hot when he launched X-Force. So I’m cautiously optimistic that he can do so again with this series as he seems to have been thinking about it for quite some time, plus Hickman himself helped to tweak it into an aftermath of Inferno story. So fingers crossed…

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    "We hate you just as much as them"

Oh wowzers we didn't see that coming...

Let's see...out of all the super species the only one that doesn't want to completely eradicate humanity is the *gasp* mutants.

All this build up of Nimrod being this unstoppable threat and Magneto was more than enough to belt him and OS alone until LOLpowerdampner.

There are mutants almost, just as and even more powerful than Magneto. This is why I can't take Orchis seriously.

Also Moira looks really bad now like yikes. The naievity from Doug was is just bad and irresponsible considering what he now knows unless he's just another double agent.

All in all this book just didn't do enough for me. It peaked in Issue #3 and fell flat in #4. Sucks because Hickman clearly wanted to do more.
    Doug stopped Destiny and Mystique from going into the pit because they would have killed a human. Moira can now go be a miserable human and is exiled from Krakoa. She will probably wind up joining Orchis now that she has a TO arm.

Very underwhelming and predictable. Sad that Hickman's run ended on such a low note.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I don't think it really counts as a running gag if it's just me. And my thought process is: if I shitpost about Hellion enough, eventually the writers spying on us will take notice and throw Hellion a bone. If they don't, I will annoy them with constant Hellion references and make them miserable.
    I feel the same towards the Cuckoos. Lonely birds trying to bring summer, I guess

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

For a story promising to change the status quo, aside from Destiny and I guess putting Colossus on the council the status quo seems very much the same.

Also feels like they kinda just glossed over the whole "hey Xavier and Magneto have been lying to us from the jump" bit

At least Hickman liked using the Cuckoos and got them drawn by incredible artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I feel the same towards the Cuckoos. Lonely birds trying to bring summer, I guess
    Didn't they already have Summers?
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Doug stopped Destiny and Mystique from going into the pit because they would have killed a human. Moira can now go be a miserable human and is exiled from Krakoa. She will probably wind up joining Orchis now that she has a TO arm.
    Mystique and Destiny wouldn't have gone into the pit if Doug didn't snitch. I have a strong dislike for goody two shoes who enforces the law no matter what. Hate to think what he would've been like in the past when we had tons of laws against minorities.

I don't think Moira can ever be a hero again, but hopefully they make her a good villain. She has a ton of knowledge about how mutants work.

Also, why are people surprised nothing was resolved? You guys do realize the post-Hickman era will still be using his ideas right? Nimrod, Omega, and ORCHIS are all confirmed to be back in the Destiny of X era. They can't really end that story without ending the "Krakoa" era.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Also I'm kinda lost on Doug's logic here. The mutants depowered by Wanda aren't considered humans, and Crucible shows that they're definitely fine with killing them. Why would Moira be considered human when depowered?
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 01-05-2022 at 07:52 AM.

So Moira is off the table now and the QC knows the truth, which should make Immortal that much more interesting.

Great issue, I was just hoping for a direct link to XLives/XDeaths to give us an idea of what exactly they're about. Unless I missed something which is entirely possible.

I don't know what Charles did to Nimrod but that was badass.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    For a story promising to change the status quo, aside from Destiny and I guess putting Colossus on the council the status quo seems very much the same.

Also feels like they kinda just glossed over the whole "hey Xavier and Magneto have been lying to us from the jump" bit
    What are they supposed to do when they all decided to keep the exact same secret Xavier and Magneto kept from them? It's hard to throw stones when you decide to erect a glass house the moment you learn the truth,

Mighty Member

Yeah can someone explain how Xavier did what he did? Is he a telekinetic now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    So Moira is off the table now and the QC knows the truth, which should make Immortal that much more interesting.

Great issue, I was just hoping for a direct link to XLives/XDeaths to give us an idea of what exactly they're about. Unless I missed something which is entirely possible.

I don't know what Charles did to Nimrod but that was badass.
    Looked like some kind of telekinesis.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!