Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I like Morrison’s take on the school. And I liked what Jean was trying to do in X-Men Red. I much prefer that over the Krakoan cultists.

Extraordinary Member

Krakoa era. We can't ever go back to the Claremont glory days. The constant 'this is the end of mutants forever' stories got old the second time they did it. The current setting is still a breath of fresh air 2 years later and has a ton of unmined potential. Hellions alone has been better than anything the X-books had put out in many, many years. When compared to the days of the awful terrigen/Inhumans war storyline or the black hole of quality and fun that was Guggenheim's X-Men Gold this is a golden era.

The school was played out and was an Bryan Singer idea. Best to let his legacy burn

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I don’t like them isolated from the rest of the world like they were some Native Americans when they have been on Krakoa only for roughly a year (and they also represented people from all the world). All of that is too artificial for my taste. The past is erased. Their old alliances are forgotten… Something of their depth is gone.

The problem is less of a situation and more of consistence and plausibility… It requires a writer that loves them for what they were.
    They aren't isolated.

They have an entire planet full of aliens from different worlds, they still interact with othe Marvel heroes, the X-Men live in New York and we've literally have humans living on Krakoa.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    They aren't isolated.

They have an entire planet full of aliens from different worlds, they still interact with othe Marvel heroes, the X-Men live in New York and we've literally have humans living on Krakoa.

For me the Krakoa/Arrako era is way beyond anything that's happened with the x-men for years -- and it feels like the surface has only just been scratched, especially in terms of Arrako.... I just hope the x-writers can keep everything connected without Hickman, and don't devolve back into each title operating in its little corner of isolated reactivity

Can't say I was fond of the of the preceding status quo, but Krakoa is a bunch of high concept nonsense just thoughtlessly thrown together that just does not work, and needs everybody to be occ to go along with it.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Current status is way better then the years before and including Age Of X-Men.

I like the Krakoa concept, love the current X-Men serie , New Mutants, Marauders and S.W.O.R.D.

If course some books do not do much to me like Excalibur. But in the 80's I also did not like Excalibur , only liked it as of around #100 and despised Generation X.

Periods I loved were Outback, AoA, Utopia period and Rogue's Legacy and Academy X period.

This period comes close, though, I still need a New X-Men series to make it even better.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Pre-HoX/PoX for me.

I’m on record as saying I don’t like them as murderous bigoted self serving Cultists.
    Krakoa for me, butI agree that they need to confront the cultish part of it, and have more fragments aka mutants who don't agree with Krakoa.

Give me 5 years or so and It'll probably start getting stale as well though but I do see tons of potential still left.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 01-05-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Pre-Morrison.
    Before a certain someone decided it would be a good idea to casualy kill 16 million mutants (then half of the worlds mutant population, now after a retcon 16/17th of the worlds total mutant population) together with the barely formed first functional mutant nation in Marvel comic history, all in order to push some weird story about normal humans being geneticaly preprogrammed to die out if a stronger version of humanity appears (...) and twisting the X-men beyond their moral roots to fit that non-sensical idea as something to take serious.

I know many people see a ton of good in Morrison's take, but i feel he poisened the well and paved the way for the decline of the franchise up to now.

Also before an Editor in Chief decided that the X-men had to be like how he remembers them from his childhood and to overshadow the Avengers less, so he ordered a purge of most c- and d-listers via mass depowering together with demanding no new mutants to be created and damaging one of the oldest female X-men characters and a longterm Avenger in the process.

Before another extinction story got forced onto them, because someone in charge of Marvel (except the one thing that still financily mattered, the movies), felt that since they can't get ALL the movie money from the X-Men, they need to be replaced with a property they can get all the money from and decided to punish the X-men further while trying to squeeze the Inhumans into their spot, damaging them just aswell.

And before a story that seems to have been intendet as another cautinary tale, throws all the mutants on a magic mutant island high tech nation out of nowhere, twists the heros beyond recognition of their morals and characterization and has many of the established characters struggle for relevance in spite of an oversaturation of titles, half which barely survive a year or manage to tell much of a story.
    All while removing the mutants from their main role as fantastic version of the "strangers among us" in an urbanized cosmo-political world which most of the traditional readers experience in some way.

I have no nostalgia for the Pre-Morrison times or look at them with rose tinted glasses, but i feel it was the last time the franchise properly felt like itself in the comics or what the general fandom beyond the comics (which are now a niche group thanks to the failings of the big two to keep their product mass market worthy) imagines them to be.

So i personaly prefer those until 2000/2005 over the current status quo which feels to me like another detour going nowhere and wasting time.

HoxPox all day everyday. Mutants need a new Genosha that wont blow up.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    HoxPox all day everyday. Mutants need a new Genosha that wont blow up.
    They even have a spare with Arakko whenever Marvel gets trigger happy and wants some mutant mass murder.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Move forward, not back. The old status quo of X-men sitting in the mansion got stale long ago.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    They even have a spare with Arakko whenever Marvel gets trigger happy and wants some mutant mass murder.
    One of the most disappointing overlooks of Inferno and something I'm hoping to see Immortal X-Men follow up on is when Erik, Moira and Xavier were talking at one point, they mentioned their plans for expansion to ensure the longterm survival of the mutant race. The picture I got from the dialogue was they had plans to sow communities of mutants at vastly spread out and possibly secret locations throughout the galaxy, so that even if in the long run Krakoa falls and mutants in the Sol system lose to humans and/or machines, there would be disconnected communities of mutants spread elsewhere throughout the universe so that they could continue on elsewhere and their enemies couldn't ever destroy them all in one go.

And if that ISN'T an existing plan, it damn well should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Krakoa is still new and the potential of what it could be is still larger then the reality of what we have. The school, great as it was, couldn't house all the mutants that we care for in a way that Krakoa can. Now Krakoa has to earn it's future. Give us stories that properly uses the potential of all these mutants. Perhaps the characters that tend to dominate the narrative should take a break and new ones should be used.

I'm not saying that everyone's favorite should be used in a meaningful way. That is the ultimate goal but possibly highly improbable or straight impossible. I'm saying that there exists so many A-status or B-status that are just wallpaper. Teambooks that are just teams in name. Characters being used for plots without any depth. So much that could be better. I would say that it's harder to missuse so many characters like X-men editorial are now then it is to keep a majority on a OK level. First rule: Teambooks! Second rule: statistics!. What have these characters done the last year? What are we doing with them this year?
    I'm kind of here too. The current concept has immense potential for storytelling so I don't necessarily want to go back.

However I'm not actually enjoying most of it so far, with a couple notable exceptions like Hellions. I want more character driven stories within this world and more tackling/acknowledging of some of the inherent problems with how/what they have built. I want more dissent. I want more characters skirting around societal rules. I want more conflict between characters that should have major beef with each other. I want more of the fun stuff that builds character relations and culture like characters having picnics, playing ball, hanging out at the bar or the beach. And yes, even on Krakoa I wish there was a school. Societies need some structure and relatable touchstones, even if it's uniquely their own. The effort to make mutants feel more other has made them less relatable. But it makes no sense they have all abandoned everything about who they used to be.

How characters rub up against problems in their emerging society is much of where the story lies for this era. We've gotten some of that, but not enough to make me really feel invested. It does not spark joy.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

(Dis)Connected mutant communities throughout the Universe can still happen...even more so now, that the "big secret" is out of the bag. (Providing Gillen doesn't sideline future plans in lieu of Council machinations)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!