Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    One of the most disappointing overlooks of Inferno and something I'm hoping to see Immortal X-Men follow up on is when Erik, Moira and Xavier were talking at one point, they mentioned their plans for expansion to ensure the longterm survival of the mutant race. The picture I got from the dialogue was they had plans to sow communities of mutants at vastly spread out and possibly secret locations throughout the galaxy, so that even if in the long run Krakoa falls and mutants in the Sol system lose to humans and/or machines, there would be disconnected communities of mutants spread elsewhere throughout the universe so that they could continue on elsewhere and their enemies couldn't ever destroy them all in one go.

And if that ISN'T an existing plan, it damn well should be.

The concept of a planet Okarra and by extension a rising Okarran empire sounds more delicious everyday.

BANNED

I don't like the current state at all.

Too many square characters being forced into round holes to make the whole thing work. An overreliance on Telling over Showing (data pages just waste space that could be used for more character development, etc.) Resurrection makes death even CHEAPER than it already is. The entire thing is built on a massive retcon which IMO destroys Moira's character.

And that's just a five minute impression.

The question is weird because there's more Status Quo's than simply pre and post HOX/POX. If we go by just taking the previous one into account? With Nate Grey pocket dimensioning most of the X-Men into some weird Elseworld while the rest of them played out The End of Evangelion toned Logan/Scott lash fic that got more depressing with each issue? I'll take Krakoa, thanks.

When people say they preffer things like they were we are all talking about a specific run, and not all of us will be pleased. From before, I liked the Utopia stuff in general, before that the pre M-Day stuff was nice. Before that I liked the Outback Era a lot. So it all really depends on what Pre-HoX/PoX means to you personally.

I very much don't want to school to return unless the Younger Generation completely takes over the books, and we let all the "classic" X-Men retire or just be teachers, cause otherwise we would just be regressing for no reason but nostalgia. And if that's what you want, older issues are still out there to reread rather than have some writers rehash old stuff in a much uninteresting way.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This Krakoan Era.

"To be continued. Forever."
    Yup! That says it perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I don't like the current state at all.

Too many square characters being forced into round holes to make the whole thing work. An overreliance on Telling over Showing (data pages just waste space that could be used for more character development, etc.) Resurrection makes death even CHEAPER than it already is. The entire thing is built on a massive retcon which IMO destroys Moira's character.

And that's just a five minute impression.
    Heck, its built on multiple retcons. All of them terrible.

The school was good, but it went stale because the only generation that really matters is the first one... I would be okay with the X-Men living in an island country and using it as a base for their heroic activities, but the problem I have is the implementation...

Utopia was created in San Francisco Bay, and was populated by a few hundred mutants who couldn't give birth to a new generation of mutants... that isn't a real country, that's Sealand...

Krakoa is outside anybody's territorial waters, and has a growing population that could rise to millions thanks to the Resurrection Protocols ... it IS a real country... The problem is, it has been portrayed as a messed up country that welcomes dangerous murderers, makes a spectacle of the slaughter of children, is ruled by an oligarchy that includes mass murderers and maniacs, has nothing remotely close to democracy, and has no laws, administration, police or anything that makes a country function properly...

The writers are trying to slowly fix the more controversial bits, but it will be hard to forget that the X-Men were on board with the Crucible and with having Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse in the Quiet Council.

I would very much have preferred if Xavier and Magneto had created a more normal country with schools and hospitals and police and a modern judicial system and a democratic government, and they had not allowed psychopaths and mass murderers inside... They could just have reclaimed and rebuilt Genosha... Magneto technically was its legitimate ruler (even if he got the island by blackmailing the entire world), so he could make a case that he had the right to resettle it...
    Last edited by Habis; 01-05-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Both. I'm a long time reader and really enjoyed the heights the franchise was in with the old status quo (back in the 80's 90s, not so much the 00's and 10's prior to POX/HOX) So I think, of the last 20 years, definitely the current status quo. But I would change a few things. I've pretty much been against the whole resurrection protocols from the get go, and if I were the powers that be (either creators or characters in story) I would definitely not be inviting everyone to the party on Krakoa. I understand unity, some lower-threat, level villains but there's a good dozen or two dozen that I feel should not be in there. Though honestly, I felt that way about Apocalypse, and that turned out to be pretty interesting. But people like Selene, Shadow King, Omega Red, Sinister...c'mon. That's not going to end well, eventually. I would have included Sabretooth but we already saw how that went, and I'd want to include Mystique but I think as long as she gets something she wants, she can play along, to a point, though eventually it would probably turn sour, it would last for a time. She's not evil just to be evil.
    Last edited by Captain Nash; 01-05-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    So recently been thinking about the current X-titles run and while I have enjoyed some of the last couple of years, I've found myself preferring older X-men stuff back when they were based out of the school etc. So got me wondering do you prefer the current style where they are on Krakoa and essentially isolated or back when whilst slightly apart from the rest of the Marvel heroes thedy are still more connected?
    Let's be honest here. Basically what occurred with the school and other things after Claremont left is what drove away a hell of a lot of people.

Krakoa all day for me. That doesn't at all mean I didn't like what came before. I grew up with the X-Books so every era I'll hold dear.
    But as others mentioned, it had become stale for me and this is fresh. I hope it continues for the long haul.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Krakoa.

I hope they never return to a school, being decimated, or portrayed as a happily victimized minority that only lives to defend the majority that wants to kill them. I’d be interested in a more nuanced and diverse portrayal of humanity as Krakoa evolves. I also might’ve been interested in someone building on Bendis’ positive progress for Mutants but I guess Marvel thought that’d remove the tension and raison d’etre for the series.

But from what it seems like, Mutants attract destructive writers or bring out their destructive tendencies, so I hope they can keep Krakoa going but I’m doubtful.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Krakoa.

I hope they never return to a school, being decimated, or portrayed as a happily victimized minority that only lives to defend the majority that wants to kill them. I’d be interested in a more nuanced and diverse portrayal of humanity as Krakoa evolves. I also might’ve been interested in someone building on Bendis’ positive progress for Mutants but I guess Marvel thought that’d remove the tension and raison d’etre for the series.

But from what it seems like, Mutants attract destructive writers or bring out their destructive tendencies, so I hope they can keep Krakoa going but I’m doubtful.
    Krakoa, but I realised there's untapped opportunity to have mansion style academic and power honing emphasis on Krakoa without needing to revert to the mansion fully.The opportunity was with the crucible.Instead of having crucible 'resurectees' in full mastery of their powers ,have them re-adapt to their first wonky handling of their powers by going through school styled training and simulations in academos(to be narrated through New mutants books).I don't know why writers didn't seize on this opportunity to have a bit of 'old' mixed in with so much new.
    Last edited by Rev9; 01-06-2022 at 03:04 AM.

I like both.

I love the way it used to be in the mansion so on, but it couldn't stay that way forever.

Krakoa has it's faults and some things I don't like. Overall though it's been pretty fun and exciting.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

While I yearn for the Claremont days of yore to mid 90's with schools and functional teams managing different threats, those days are long past us. The sudden explosion of mutants (going from hundreds/thousand to millions) and having the school have so many students changed the dynamics of the books. The idea and concept of the X-Men as a family (for better or worse) was sidelined and a new age of them being adults and teachers became the status quo. With there being so many mutants now, there is no way to have a school be the center of things, unless a team was to take back the mansion, a la New Mutants under Cable's leadership. Krakoa is flawed in many ways but it provides a safe harbor for the mutants given that the MU has continued to be written as a moderately hostile/indifferent/intolerant planet to mutants. Hickman has provided new ways to move the needle.

So to answer the question, I would prefer something similar to the early 90's but I think what we have is great for the needed stories and overwhelming amount of mutant characters that exist.

Giant-Size X-Men through Outback Era I prefer over Krakoa.
    I prefer Krakoa over anything before or after that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    While I yearn for the Claremont days of yore to mid 90's with schools and functional teams managing different threats, those days are long past us. The sudden explosion of mutants (going from hundreds/thousand to millions) and having the school have so many students changed the dynamics of the books. The idea and concept of the X-Men as a family (for better or worse) was sidelined and a new age of them being adults and teachers became the status quo. With there being so many mutants now, there is no way to have a school be the center of things, unless a team was to take back the mansion, a la New Mutants under Cable's leadership. Krakoa is flawed in many ways but it provides a safe harbor for the mutants given that the MU has continued to be written as a moderately hostile/indifferent/intolerant planet to mutants. Hickman has provided new ways to move the needle.

So to answer the question, I would prefer something similar to the early 90's but I think what we have is great for the needed stories and overwhelming amount of mutant characters that exist.
    This sums up my thoughts perfectly.