Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Moira approached Xavier on his student years, yes, but Moira´s diary showed she had a hard time convincing him and later Magneto of the plan she had, in fact she expressely said she had to "break" Xavier to make him try it her own way. So I think most of X-men story was genuine, Xavier was genuinely trying to built a coexistence initiative with the X-men while Moira mostlyworked on her own in her island and there was an alliance with Magneto when he joined the X-men but also a separation later until Utopia were Magneto rejoined the X-men.

It´s still a retcon, so not everything clics together and I think it needs more work characterwise with Moira because she definitely was a different person before Krakoa but I can see why after the events of Age of X-man in which there was worldwide persecution of mutants, Xavier would try it Moira´s way.
    It’s a recon all the way back to X-Men #1, vol. #1. And it really doesn’t work. Xavier had the dream or he didn’t. If he hedged his bets and half-a$$ed the formation of the X-Men, it still means Xavier never really believed in it.

The same goes with Magneto. Everything he’s done since just before or after — it kinda looks like before — X-Men #150, vol. 1, is also retconned. The original trial of Magneto, the original Inferno, the original issues #1-3, vol. 2, Genosha, ALL of it was supposedly some kind of long game to establish Krakoa.

Of course, none of this makes any sense. None of it works. Where’s the sense of recognition by Xavier of the meaning behind the Sentinels appearing in #14, vol. 1? Where’s Magneto’s foreknowledge of the Wild Sentinels coming to destroy Genosha, in New X-Men #114, vol. 1 (really X-Men vol. 2 — too much renumbering!)?

Moira X, Xavier and Magneto against the alien and apparently native forces of A.I. just doesn’t make sense outside of the context of the story Hickman was telling. I’m sure he would have resolved these issues if he had been allowed the chance, but instead it’s a lousy retcon that makes no sense when looked at how it fits into continuity, because it just does not fit.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    It’s a recon all the way back to X-Men #1, vol. #1. And it really doesn’t work. Xavier had the dream or he didn’t. If he hedged his bets and half-a$$ed the formation of the X-Men, it still means Xavier never really believed in it.
    Except he believed it. Moira herself said she had to break him for him to accept her view. Even implied Onslaught happened because of her attempts. And still Xavier said he believes his dream in X-men #4. You're making up a personal canon.

I
    The same goes with Magneto. Everything he’s done since just before or after — it kinda looks like before — X-Men #150, vol. 1, is also retconned. The original trial of Magneto, the original Inferno, the original issues #1-3, vol. 2, Genosha, ALL of it was supposedly some kind of long game to establish Krakoa.
    Except you're making this up, and canon flat-out indicates the opposite. His motivations to join the X-men INCREASE and make more sense with the retcon. Now he knew for sure he would lose for sure if he kept with his old methods, and had to change. Magneto fell out with Xavier and Moira in X-men #1-3 for real. Genosha is, if anything, an attempt to make a better mutant nation without Moira and Xavier.

Of course, none of this makes any sense. None of it works. Where’s the sense of recognition by Xavier of the meaning behind the Sentinels appearing in #14, vol. 1? Where’s Magneto’s foreknowledge of the Wild Sentinels coming to destroy Genosha, in New X-Men #114, vol. 1 (really X-Men vol. 2 — too much renumbering!)?
    First of all, it's almost certain there's no Genosha in the previous lives- the Genosha's experiment with the Magistrates only happened because of Sugar Man, and Sugar Man only exists because of AoA- which itself only exists because of Legion, who is unique to this timeline.

Second, even if Xavier recognized the Sentinels, what was he supposed to do? Moira told him any attempts to kill/brainwash Trask are useless, Sentinels appear anyway.

Third, where's the recognition of Xavier that Magneto was his close friend of decades at any moment before the retcon? This was a much bigger one, but the people whining about Moira don't care, because they grew up with it, and if it's part of their nostalgia.

Moira X, Xavier and Magneto against the alien and apparently native forces of A.I. just doesn’t make sense outside of the context of the story Hickman was telling. I’m sure he would have resolved these issues if he had been allowed the chance, but instead it’s a lousy retcon that makes no sense when looked at how it fits into continuity, because it just does not fit.
    No retcon in history fits 100% perfectly, but this fits much better than most. Again, if fits much better than Xavier being Magneto's buddy, but I don't see you complaining about that one. Or for example, Jean Grey being extremely attracted to Wolverine to the point she had to leave the mansion, rather than barely noticing him. Or the whole existence of Apocalypse (hell, surely someone would have heard of a guy destroying everything for centuries). And there's plenty of others. If we go to non-X-men, how about Captain America being on ice since 1945, when there years of stories after that?
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 01-19-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Except he believed it. Moira herself said she had to break him for him to accept her view. Even implied Onslaught happened because of her attempts. And still Xavier said he believes his dream in X-men #4. You're making up a personal canon.
    “Personal canon” is a weak-a$$ argument. Go read House of X #2 again. It retcons everything going back to X-Men #1, vol. 1, and not in a sensible way. That’s Marvel Comics’ canon, not mine.

Except you're making this up, and canon flat-out indicates the opposite. His motivations to join the X-men INCREASE and make more sense with the retcon. Now he knew for sure he would lose for sure if he kept with his old methods, and had to change. Magneto fell out with Xavier and Moira in X-men #1-3 for real. Genosha is, if anything, an attempt to make a better mutant nation without Moira and Xavier.
    No, I’m not making this up. Hickman did. Go read the issues I referenced. They are all big issues within Marvel Comics and X-Men publishing history. There is not a hint of what Hickman retconned into being. In fact, Magneto’s motivations against Moira in X-Men #1 through 3, vol. 2 are plainly stated. There’s nothing alluding to what Hickman has come up with 30+ years later.

First of all, it's almost certain there's no Genosha in the previous lives- the Genosha's experiment with the Magistrates only happened because of Sugar Man, and Sugar Man only exists because of AoA- which itself only exists because of Legion, who is unique to this timeline.

Second, even if Xavier recognized the Sentinels, what was he supposed to do? Moira told him any attempts to kill/brainwash Trask are useless, Sentinels appear anyway.

Third, where's the recognition of Xavier that Magneto was his close friend of decades at any moment before the retcon? This was a much bigger one, but the people whining about Moira don't care, because they grew up with it, and if it's part of their nostalgia.
    None of that refutes what I said. You’re just trying to justify Hickman’s $hitty retcon.

No retcon in history fits 100% perfectly, but this fits much better than most. Again, if fits much better than Xavier being Magneto's buddy, but I don't see you complaining about that one. Or for example, Jean Grey being extremely attracted to Wolverine to the point she had to leave the mansion, rather than barely noticing him. Or the whole existence of Apocalypse (hell, surely someone would have heard of a guy destroying everything for centuries). And there's plenty of others. If we go to non-X-men, how about Captain America being on ice since 1945, when there years of stories after that?
    Relying on how good or bad other retcons are does nothing to make the case for Hickman’s retcon, except to acknowledge that it’s not a good one.

By the way, if I ran Marvel Comics, the way I would fix this is to bring back Hickman and have him finish his story. Hickman isn’t this sloppy. This is all the result of Hickman not being allowed to finish the work.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-19-2022 at 05:15 PM.

The X-books have done absolutely nothing for me for years.

I've recently been reading trades of Uncanny from #112-143, then #165-213, which I will never get tired of.

At the time of publication and subsequent reading, I didn't mind the post Mutant Massacre stuff up to when Psylocke was turned into the Ninja babe but I just got up to Fall of the Mutants and it wasn't doing anything for me, so next time I won't go past MM.

The last time I enjoyed the series was the Marauders trade which lead into Messiah Complex.

Spectacular Member

Brian B I find myself sitting here and agreeing with everything you have said but that doesn't mean this Moira retcon can't be fixed or used to reset the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    Brian B I find myself sitting here and agreeing with everything you have said but that doesn't mean this Moira retcon can't be fixed or used to reset the Marvel Universe.
    That is why I would love to see Hickman finish it. I just know he wouldn’t have left it as messy as this if he were allowed to finish it. I know he would have gone somewhere with this Moira X retcon. It would not have ended here.

That is why I would love to see Hickman finish it. I just know he wouldn’t have left it as messy as this if he were allowed to finish it. I know he would have gone somewhere with this Moira X retcon. It would not have ended here.
    Apparently Percy consulted with Hickman on X Lives/Deaths and now we see Deaths has a Moira focus, so there's that.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Did they ever explain how Moira's getting reborn thing works with the Age of Apocalypse? We saw her IN the AOA. If she new everything resets when she died, why didn't she just put a bullet in her brain when Apocalypse started going kill crazy?

It's hard for me to reconcile Xavier being a hero for most of his publishing history and trying to fight for a betetr world against impossible odds, and then NOT trying to do something because somebody told him it would be too hard.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 01-21-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Spectacular Member

From the very start he always said he'd put the toys back in the box so I completely agree.

Neither, I guess. I'm okay with a status quo change, but I'm not crazy about Krakoa.

Honestly, my first thought when reading HoX/PoX was like "Gee, the mutants are creating an island nation. AGAIN. how long 'til this blows up in their faces and they're sent back to the mansion again?"

And I know that hasn't happened, and, like some people mentioned, the mansion's been all it can be... I don't mind if they never go back there, or at least for a while. I just wish the whole Krakoa set-up wasn't creating such a divide between mutants and humans. I prefer the idea of mutants and humans being able to create something together. I know that's probably not going to happen, but you know what would help... having human allies (and stop making them mutants too.)

As it is, I'm figuring they're going to move to Mars before they move back to the mansion.