Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Because truly, Marvel does have a team of superheroes, the Avengers. Conceptually, the X-Men needed greater differentiation between themselves and the Avengers. They just weren’t working out well as second rate mutant Avengers.
    80s 90s and even early 2000's the avengers were the second rate Xmen
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I guess this is an attempt at doing "If everyone is special, no one will be", but on the other end .

And if she stops being a robot, will she completely change her motivation again? Lol.

As it was pointed out before, the most consistent thing about Moira now is how inconsistent she is.

Well, she talked with the guy who created the Phalanx in the future, and while Phalanx Wolverine wiped his memory, it's possible Moira still has the info, the potential is logically there if they care about using it.
    Yes. I think if she stops being a robot, her motivation will totally change again. Maybe Moira will become a Shi’ar. Xandra will create a clone of Lilandra and put Moira’s mind in there and program her to think she is married to Xavier. Later on when Moira find out, she will end up downloading her consciousness into a Kerr. Eventually, she will become a skrull.

Then at some point Moira will become a mutant man. Mr. Moira. He will be a womanizer and get Emma Frost pregnant with twin boys, the Inhuman Crystal with a son, and Crystal’s sister Medusa pregnant with a daughter. Black Bolt will kill him bjt after he is resurrected by Krakoa Black Bolt realizes he loves Mr. Moira and moved him in his house.

He will have an affair with Hulking. Wiccan kills him, but Mr. Moira comes back as another female mutant who is good just like original Moira.

See?
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 05-17-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Just bring back human Moira and reveal this one was a reality pimple all along.

Amazing Member

I was never a fan of Morrison. Most of his 'innovation' was being weird and then pretending that was interesting. I tried to keep reading his run, but combined with the shitty art (Quitely and Kordey had some ugly art), I couldn't keep paying for something I hated. It was really annoying because people kept saying how original he was, but it was like, oh, you are bringing back the Phoenix? Oh, and you gave Xavier an evil twin? How original. And his actually original stuff was 'humans have a gene for extinction' (wtf does that mean?) and 'let's take Beast from a vaguely simian form to a cat form'.

I'll admit though, expanding the school was a great idea (though yes, obviously inspired by the movies), and I actually kind of liked Xorn, but after I left the book he turned out to be Magneto in yet another return (ZZZZ) and of all things, he killed off Jean Grey (you don't kill off a character who is explicitly known for dying and resurrecting).

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just bring back human Moira and reveal this one was a reality pimple all along.
    Yes. Moira X is a multiversal parasite.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    80s 90s and even early 2000's the avengers were the second rate Xmen
    Oh buzz off the Kurt Busiek run was great.

And his actually original stuff was 'humans have a gene for extinction' (wtf does that mean?) and 'let's take Beast from a vaguely simian form to a cat form'.
    The change in Beast was far from original. For one, Hank McCoy become more animal like was a story that had already been done (that's why he was blue and covered in hair). On top of that though, I seem to recall an interview where he basically said "He's Beast. He should look like the character from Beauty and the Beast."

Quote Originally Posted by toddcam View Post
    I'll admit though, expanding the school was a great idea (though yes, obviously inspired by the movies), and I actually kind of liked Xorn, but after I left the book he turned out to be Magneto in yet another return (ZZZZ) and of all things, he killed off Jean Grey (you don't kill off a character who is explicitly known for dying and resurrecting).
    Xorn looks like a rather small-sized “man”… and suddenly, when he unveiled himself as Magneto, he was bigger and bulkier…

I had the impression that the author has been thinking at one point: “What if Xorn was in fact Magneto?”
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Xorn looks like a rather small-sized “man”… and suddenly, when he unveiled himself as Magneto, he was bigger and bulkier…

I had the impression that the author has been thinking at one point: “What if Xorn was in fact Magneto?”
    Looking back there is a "Ministry of Darkness leader reveal" feeling to it, which might indicate a last minute twist after the writer got himself into a corner or had a change of thought regarding a storyline after it was allready set in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The change in Beast was far from original. For one, Hank McCoy become more animal like was a story that had already been done (that's why he was blue and covered in hair). On top of that though, I seem to recall an interview where he basically said "He's Beast. He should look like the character from Beauty and the Beast."
    Looking back, there is a general sense of disrespect from the writer towards anything X-men he didn't personaly liked, so he seems to have metaphoricaly stomped on it as he pleased or flat out ignored it in favor of his personal vision of how things should be. Magneto being just the tip of the iceberg.

Which isn't the first time a writer was enamored with the concept of a pre-existing setting or franchise, or at least what they felt as being that, but ignorant (willingly or through lack of knowledge) of it's established world and history and therefor willing to radically change it to suit their vision.

It reminds me to something Jodorowsky said in the documentary about his never made Dune movie. Where he on the topic of never actualy having read the Dune novel (the entire project was his idea in first place, no one offered him the project) remarked that a director should not be influenced by the source material, as it might stand in the way of his own vision. (His wording is something to behold though).

While that can obviously work for adaptions (spiritual or direct to other media), as it deals with an often different audience, when it's done to the original source media and material it often just causes longerm harm to it.

Quote Originally Posted by toddcam View Post
    I was never a fan of Morrison. Most of his 'innovation' was being weird and then pretending that was interesting. I tried to keep reading his run, but combined with the shitty art (Quitely and Kordey had some ugly art), (...)
    I remember stories of people trying out the comics after watching the first two movies, only to be repulsed by the art on New X-men and having a hard time getting into the story as they might only have been aware of said movies and perhaps the cartoons, meanwhile Xtreme X-men seems to have been much more "beginner friendly".

In general i can't help but feel that the success of Morrison's run was partialy based on his reputation among readers who liked his "subversive" style and the sudden influx of people trying to give the comics a chance after liking the movies. Which raises the question of how big it would have been without the movies?

Two groups that didn't seem to have remained with the franchise for long.

Ultimate Member

What Morrison and Hickman have in common is they have ideas that they have big ideas that they can't be bothered to build towards.

Morrison never explained how the X-Men went from barely being able to field a team to opening a public school with dozens of students.

It was certainly a logical development, but one he just dumped in his first story.

Hickman did the same with Krakoa, albeit on a massive scale.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes. I think if she stops being a robot, her motivation will totally change again. Maybe Moira will become a Shi’ar. Xandra will create a clone of Lilandra and put Moira’s mind in there and program her to think she is married to Xavier. Later on when Moira find out, she will end up downloading her consciousness into a Kerr. Eventually, she will become a skrull.

Then at some point Moira will become a mutant man. Mr. Moira. He will be a womanizer and get Emma Frost pregnant with twin boys, the Inhuman Crystal with a son, and Crystal’s sister Medusa pregnant with a daughter. Black Bolt will kill him bjt after he is resurrected by Krakoa Black Bolt realizes he loves Mr. Moira and moved him in his house.

He will have an affair with Hulking. Wiccan kills him, but Mr. Moira comes back as another female mutant who is good just like original Moira.

See?
    You lost me when it became a harem .

And hey, if Moira is gonna keep changing species that much, or even just become a different variation of human, I want her to become a Hulk.

I mean ****, Cates' Hulk run points out that everyone gets a Hulk, even Hulk gets a Hulk, so I want Moira to be part of this and get a Hulk too, we'll call her Moira H, and now she wants to kill herself alongside the rest of the planet.

And then at some point let's make her an Inhuman, and restore her mutant status too, and then use that silly thing where Bendis claimed that Beyonder is an Inhuman and mutant who became too overpowered for some reason, now Moira is a Beyonder, we'll call her Moira B, and now she wants to kill cosmic Marvel.

After losing most of her powers she'll make herself into an Angel, we'll call her Moira A, and now she wants to kill Asgardians.

After this she could lay low, and become a Spider, we'll call her Moira S, and now she wants to kill Morluns, and that's when she stops being a villain,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶?̶

Marvel should hire us .

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It reminds me to something Jodorowsky said in the documentary about his never made Dune movie. Where he on the topic of never actualy having read the Dune novel (the entire project was his idea in first place, no one offered him the project) remarked that a director should not be influenced by the source material, as it might stand in the way of his own vision. (His wording is something to behold though).
    Makes me wonder if the guys behind Halo's series took advice from this one lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-19-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Ultimate Member

I was just wondering, was it ever explained why Moira was in hiding under the island?

I mean, this is a world where resurrection sans the Five happen all the time. And what was she doing during her 'dead' time?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I was just wondering, was it ever explained why Moira was in hiding under the island?

I mean, this is a world where resurrection sans the Five happen all the time.
    If she dies, the world either resets again, or she uses up her final life, not worth the risk either way, so staying hidden to prevent a random death is the way to go.

And what was she doing during her 'dead' time?
    That they haven't revealed I think, I only remember a diary saying that she's going back to the shadows where she belongs:

(PoX#6).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

If she dies, the world either resets again, or she uses up her final life, not worth the risk either way, so staying hidden to prevent a random death is the way to go.

That they haven't revealed I think, I only remember a diary saying that she's going back to the shadows where she belongs:

(PoX#6).
    Do people use so many double hyphens in journals?

She wasnt in hiding at any point before her "death" in Dreams End. I dont think they really explained why she went into hiding