Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It’s the fate of every non-racist human in the marvel universe, you either die a hero or live long enough to become the next Bastion.

I’m going to be blunt and say that this Moira is way more interesting than any previous version I’ve read or watched. Old Moira is still good and had some good stories but I find I much prefer Moira X, especially after todays issue of XDoW.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Goddammit, I knew they were going to make Moira go Sentinel.
    LOL, sounds like they’ve just given up already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m going to be blunt and say that this Moira is way more interesting than any previous version I’ve read or watched. Old Moira is still good and had some good stories but I find I much prefer Moira X, especially after todays issue of XDoW.
    But is it worth it to wipe the original Moira completely from existence, thereby invalidating those stories? I still don't see why you can't have the two at the same time thanks to whatever time travel nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    It’s the fate of every non-racist human in the marvel universe, you either die a hero or live long enough to become the next Bastion.
    Least Stevie's been untouched so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Least Stevie's been untouched so far.
    LMAO she'll turn up on Orchis soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The flatscans are all the same.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

But is it worth it to wipe the original Moira completely from existence, thereby invalidating those stories? I still don't see why you can't have the two at the same time thanks to whatever time travel nonsense.
    I don’t think old Moira was wiped out, we just have more information now. Moira was never of much importance to my enjoyment of the stories previously, she didn’t make the stories bad by any means but I wasn’t invested in her as a character. That’s not the case now, I want to see where this goes and I want to know more about Moira now. So for me I suppose the answer to your question would be yes it was worth it, although I don’t necessarily agree with the sentiment that Moira X being a thing invalidates previous stories.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I don’t think old Moira was wiped out, we just have more information now. Moira was never of much importance to my enjoyment of the stories previously, she didn’t make the stories bad by any means but I wasn’t invested in her as a character. That’s not the case now, I want to see where this goes and I want to know more about Moira now. So for me I suppose the answer to your question would be yes it was worth it, although I don’t necessarily agree with the sentiment that Moira X being a thing invalidates previous stories.
    I mean... yes, it does? She's not motivated by compassion, the people in her life are irrelevant to her now, all the times people read her mind with no drawbacks are retconned, her status as the human ally is completely ruined, all the times she had interacted with, say, Rahne and Sean are now all lies, even Proteus, probably her biggest story, now has been retconned completely due to the circumstances of his conception being completely different (and considering what said circumstances were, doesn't that take a rather scummy vibe to it).

I mean... yes, it does? She's not motivated by compassion, the people in her life are irrelevant to her now, all the times people read her mind with no drawbacks are retconned, her status as the human ally is completely ruined, all the times she had interacted with, say, Rahne and Sean are now all lies, even Proteus, probably her biggest story, now has been retconned completely due to the circumstances of his conception being completely different (and considering what said circumstances were, doesn't that take a rather scummy vibe to it).
    There are two Moira, Moira A and Moira B. If you liked Moira A, you cannot like Moira B. Stories without love and compassion are not my cup of tea. Moira B and Hickman’s run are irrelevant to me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

So, with XDoW #3 we finally have the confirmation that the old mutant-ally human Moira is now just another mutant-hating human villain. That seems like a downgrade. Don’t we already have enough of mutant hating bigots as villains? The actual notable human allies are far fewer and the few we used to have were eventually written off the books or killed off (like Moira herself). Meanwhile, all those villains keep coming back over and over just to do yet another big ”eradicate all mutants” plan. Not to mention that mutant-hating human villains are some of the least interesting ones to me because they are often written as simply one dimensional frothing at the mouth, intolerant bigots who hate everything having to do with mutants (but only mutants, rarely any other superhumans) for no other reason than ”grrr, mutants”. At least mutant villains are often written as multifaceted and you can even symphatize with them occasionally (Magneto’s holocaust backstory and many who have faced anti-mutant oppression).

I feel like this is just a pointless retcon now since they might just as well have introduced a new mutant hating human villain. And this isn’t even the first time they have a human villain who wants to turn themselves into a Sentinel to survive and kill mutants. So disappointed by post-Hickman era so far and it’s only been a couple months officially. I wonder if all of this really was part of Hickman’s original plan for Moira or if it was changed once they decided that he and his plans were out. I’d be really curious to know that.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 02-24-2022 at 03:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

As someone else remarks on Scans Daily, this retcon with Moira and current era is just an appeal to tribalism and genetic destiny.

While Moira was technically a mutant, she remained human in the eyes of fans, and is now bent on exterminating them, because, ya know, she's now human.

So yeah, to hell with this crappy retcon

BANNED

Kill the muties is now Moira's unironic creed.

I would like to believe Hickman wanted Moira to die stopping Orochis and her final life being in a world where mutants and humans have coexistence thus getting her wish. That or perhaps instead retiring as a mutant to let Krakoa move on without her. Definitely not turning into mutant hating human #2135 and losing all semblance of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I would like to believe Hickman wanted Moira to die stopping Orochis and her final life being in a world where mutants and humans have coexistence thus getting her wish. That or perhaps instead retiring as a mutant to let Krakoa move on without her. Definitely not turning into mutant hating human #2135 and losing all semblance of character.
    If Hickman was worried about her loosing all semblance of her character, he shouldn't have changed her entire character to begin with.

Yeah, Hickman clearly only cared about her for name recognition, she was just a utilitarian way to insert his Big Ideas.