Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'd also point to the fact that so many of those people who we KNOW have made editorial policy against marriage...are not married.
    The whole policy is basically incel energy unchained.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

At this point I'd like to see both Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle in relationships not with each other.

Because I'm pretty tired of the "Will they, won't they" stuff, and the constant teases, and pulling away and letting back in and then pulling away. After a while when you just look at the constant happening over the course of their relationship it adds up and you just come to the conclusion that the two aren't that good for each other.

It's great marketing, but if we looked at their actual relationship, it just doesn't seem like it's good for either of them. Exciting, and marketable, not not good for the actual people involved.

Even as a BatCat fan, I've grown so tired of it, I probably wouldn't even care if they got married at this point and am more so ready for both of them to be in serious relationships with people other than each other.

As long as it's NOT Talia

No reason to assume that their other relationships won't devolve into will they won't they situation. Or that they won't be forgotten entirely once a new writer starts to write the ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    No reason to assume that their other relationships won't devolve into will they won't they situation. Or that they won't be forgotten entirely once a new writer starts to write the ongoing.
    That's one of the problems with comics sadly.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The whole policy is basically incel energy unchained.
    Something very much like that, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    At this point I'd like to see both Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle in relationships not with each other.

Because I'm pretty tired of the "Will they, won't they" stuff, and the constant teases, and pulling away and letting back in and then pulling away. After a while when you just look at the constant happening over the course of their relationship it adds up and you just come to the conclusion that the two aren't that good for each other.

It's great marketing, but if we looked at their actual relationship, it just doesn't seem like it's good for either of them. Exciting, and marketable, not not good for the actual people involved.

Even as a BatCat fan, I've grown so tired of it, I probably wouldn't even care if they got married at this point and am more so ready for both of them to be in serious relationships with people other than each other.

As long as it's NOT Talia
    Did you like the Julia Madison relationship? Or do you think they'd go for the Ghost-Maker relationship?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Something very much like that, yep.

Did you like the Julia Madison relationship? Or do you think they'd go for the Ghost-Maker relationship?
    Wherever they'd go, I'd probably just worry that they're using it as a placeholder till they want to do more BatCat stories to string people along back on the will they/won't they train sadly.

At this point I'd just be for healthy relationships, so that the will they/won't they aspect doesn't constantly get so darn overplayed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post

Nah, they can work. People can separate editorial from characters better these days. That's why people still support Peter and MJ no matter how miserable they are. They can bend and break them as much as they can, but we know they always come back to one another, and that's what sustains their relationship above all others.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Nah, they can work. People can separate editorial from characters better these days. That's why people still support Peter and MJ no matter how miserable they are. They can bend and break them as much as they can, but we know they always come back to one another, and that's what sustains their relationship above all others.
    They absolutely work. 80 years of will they, won’t they and basically a decade of pulling them together. They’ve been closer than ever in almost every form of media, hyping up some form of finally being together and then ripped apart recently. Tom King’s Batman/Catwoman marriage (as great as it was to see) was the saddest consolation prize I’ve ever seen. Now since that happened I doubt they’d undermine that for a while. I’d love to see them get together, homage King with a small simple rooftop marriage, then, if they want, let Selina keep her solo run, let her continue missions just like any one of the others with solo runs, just have her be with Bruce. We wouldn’t constantly see her, but she’d come and go as a side/main character.

It's not even just "obviously". Tynion has said in his newsletters (sadly behind the paywall, though if you check my link in my bio - apologies for the self plug, but there's a reason for it - I've summarized and excerpted a lot of the insights he shared) that DC editorial demanded that he break up Batman and Catwoman harshly. He pushed back - made it a "break" rather than a "break up" - but it's EXTREMELY clear that for whatever reason, DC editorial (no one was ever named by Tynion) immediately put the "break them up" word out to the Batman writer as soon as King was gone.

I happen to think that Zdarsky is playing the long game with them - similar to how he played Daredevil and Elektra in his run over at Marvel - starting them out apart, and building to them together - a nice, satisfying narrative shape. We'll see if anyone at DC will let that become the status quo, though.
    Dang, so what we got wasn't the worst thing they originally planned? This fiasco once again confirms that being invested in corporate characters can be just as useless as most of the people making these idiotic decisions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Dang, so what we got wasn't the worst thing they originally planned? This fiasco once again confirms that being invested in corporate characters can be just as useless as most of the people making these idiotic decisions are.
    I love these big characters, but we have to be aware of the limitations of them.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I think things are somewhat constrained by the fact that Selina has her own solo book.

As godisawesome has said, I don't agree. I think you could write Selina and Bruce being committed and in love while both having their own adventures. Writers and editors are just too lazy/don't have experience in it/are too stuffed with cliches to do it.

As godisawesome has said, I don't agree. I think you could write Selina and Bruce being committed and in love while both having their own adventures. Writers and editors are just too lazy/don't have experience in it/are too stuffed with cliches to do it.
    I think it's definitely a case of writers not having experience to some extent because it's very rare for two characters with ongoings to carry a relationship together. I think probably the closest was Superman and Wonder Woman but that obviously didn't last (and was controversial enough as is).

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

I do not understand the mentality that something is worse off for the simple fact that it's not tread ground, or hasn't really been done before.

For creatives, in such a well-worn and saturated medium, that should be an INCENTIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    I do not understand the mentality that something is worse off for the simple fact that it's not tread ground, or hasn't really been done before.

For creatives, in such a well-worn and saturated medium, that should be an INCENTIVE.
    Assuming they can get on the same page and character beats...