Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Batman#126 preview has Bruce reveal that he

spoilers:
    Couldn't marry Selina and afford a distraction

Erm, yes, he was willing to marry her, it was Selina that chose not to marry him, and then said they didn't need to because they were together in their hearts. Research Chip.
    end of spoilers
    It's probably just Bruce rationalizing. 'cuz back to basics.

He better be rationalizing, otherwise I'd still bring up the question of why was Marie Javins given an Inkpot Award at SDCC if she is running an editorial that can't even keep track of basic continuity. I still remember Dark Crisis giving Hal 3 different reasons for his absence. But with someone like Bruce you'd expect them to pay more attention to details, especially why he didn't marry his most prominent love interest.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-30-2022 at 09:18 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Batman#126 preview has Bruce reveal that he

spoilers:
    Couldn't marry Selina and afford a distraction

Erm, yes, he was willing to marry her, it was Selina that chose not to marry him, and then said they didn't need to because they were together in their hearts. Research Chip.
    end of spoilers
    I disagree that it's an inconsistency. If you read Knightmares closely, I am pretty sure that Batman also believes what Selina wrote in her letter. And you could easily see the REASON that Bruce chose not to press the issue is because he's still afraid of that being true. That's definitely not what King wanted us to think, I believe (given what he wrote in Bat/Cat), but editorial obviously has very different opinions, given the wretched Christos Gage Bat/Cat story they gave us last year.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Yeah I thought Selina was the one who left him. He wanted to get married.

So how are you all liking the pacing and dialogue of the T. Howard?

Not at all. Really miss Ram V and Genevieve Valentine, who managed to do the kind of gritty crime story (even the feminist angle that Howard is pushing) with a lot more thoughtfulness and complexity.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I didn't love Valentine as much as others, but I do miss Ram V a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't love Valentine as much as others, but I do miss Ram V a little...
    I feel like Valentine was pretty polarizing, and her sales were really bad (probably why it felt like she lost about 1-2 issues from her planned outline). But she's still my absolute favorite Catwoman run-writer that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I feel like Valentine was pretty polarizing, and her sales were really bad (probably why it felt like she lost about 1-2 issues from her planned outline). But she's still my absolute favorite Catwoman run-writer that I've read.
    I think Valentine was okay. Like, on a technical level the writing was fine, but the art didn't quite pop for most of the run and it was maybe a little too serious...I also just didn't care for the crime boss angle.

But that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Valentine was okay. Like, on a technical level the writing was fine, but the art didn't quite pop for most of the run and it was maybe a little too serious...I also just didn't care for the crime boss angle.

But that's just me!
    I will agree that the art was a bit weak sometimes - I quite like Garry Brown's first arc, and I thought David Messina's stuff wasn't bad, but it definitely was a bit of a downgrade. But it still had a lot of really great images and moments, and I think the writing carried it well. The crime boss angle is perhaps the most polarizing thing (even more than the Eiko/Selina flirtation!), but since I had just gotten back into DC Comics through Batman Eternal, I thought it was awesome. I just wouldn't want it to become the longterm status quo - and it was never meant to be one.

But I'd take Valentine making it a status quo and continuing to write the book over the mess we have now.

Incredible Member

Not at all. Really miss Ram V and Genevieve Valentine, who managed to do the kind of gritty crime story (even the feminist angle that Howard is pushing) with a lot more thoughtfulness and complexity.
    Not sure where you get the idea that the title is on some kind of really political run at the moment, as I don’t particularly see much of it in her solo. Especially as what little political content, if you really insist on calling it that, is no different to what any of the other recent writers have included.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Not sure where you get the idea that the title is on some kind of really political run at the moment, as I don’t particularly see much of it in her solo. Especially as what little political content, if you really insist on calling it that, is no different to what any of the other recent writers have included.
    You and I clearly don't see eye to eye on politics, and your previous responses to me indicate that it would not be a very productive conversation.

Incredible Member

You and I clearly don't see eye to eye on politics, and your previous responses to me indicate that it would not be a very productive conversation.
    Well most of your posts on this very much fall under the term in the eye of the beholder in my view. That you see stuff that just isn’t there.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Yeah I thought Selina was the one who left him. He wanted to get married.
    Wasn't he gaslighted into proposing by GG? Everything including the proposal was orchestrated by Bane so No Bruce didn't want to marry Selina. He was manipulated by Bane and his agents.

I have no doubt that bruce loves Selina but he didn't propose of his own free will under King.