Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Greg Smallwood killed it with his variant for Batman: Killing Time #3

Those bewitching eyes

So how is the new creative team doing?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    By Mikel Janin

By Otto Schmidt

There are very few in the DCU who can nail glamour of any era like Selina. Looking great.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Selina made her debut in the latest (free) chapter of Wayne Family Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Only on their first issue, but I've heard...lukewarm reactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    There are very few in the DCU who can nail glamour of any era like Selina. Looking great.
    Selina looks good in anything .

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

It's fair to say people who have invested into the progression of the character over the past few years are most likely not happy. Her ties with the East End and Batman seem to be severed, and she has an edginess and immaturity to her that's reminiscent of Winick's run.

Other than that, the art is really good and there's a lot of action and sexuality that at least prevents it from ever becoming boring.

BANNED

Ram V was the only writer that 'got' Selina in the current title's existence. Selina's long due for a rest for the time being, at least in the core continuity. Have people 'experiment' a bit with her in Black Labels and fun one-shots until we settle on a voice that has something unique to say with her.

Selina isn't as sophisticated as in the Ram V run but I expected that. Black Mask seems a bit like a synergy mandate because of Hunted and the more playful voice Howard gives Selina also fits more with that depiction of Selina and what we are likely going to see in The Batman.

But I don't think she is portrayed as immature.

Apart from mentioning that Selina has returned to Gotham proper after being in Alley Town, Ram V's run has no effect on Howard's.

Nico Leon's art paired with Jordie Bellaire's colora is a feast for the eyes. If you liked the art by Otto Schmidt on FS: Catwoman, you'll like this too. It has a similar vibe.

Leon is really good at making characters feel alive by giving them specific mannerisms, which I really enjoy.

Howard is still setting the stage, but Selina is as capable as ever and there are quite a few genuine moments. I wasn't big on the newest character, Velmont, but part 2 already does a lot more with them, and I think they have the potential to be an intriguing character.
    Last edited by Avi; 02-23-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    But I don't think she is portrayed as immature.
    I do. Her decreased genre-savviness, inner narration, and other small effects such as her gaudy platform heels all combine to present her as a less-experienced and mature version of the character, the likes of which was presented in New 52, pre-Valentine.

Howard is still setting the stage, but Selina is as capable as ever.
    For the most part I'm okay with flexile capability as it relates to the tone of the story, but when Selina all-but-casually strolls up to a dangerous mobster she knows is trying to exact revenge on her, and is somehow surprised when she is shot...it feels like almost no thought was put into a sequence that was clearly just there to make her closer with the love-interest of the week. And then throw in that completely random Heart of Hush dream (nightmare?), and I feel like the last few pages really brought down an otherwise entertaining issue.

Has the art ever been all that consistent whether she has heels in the current costume? It feels like it really just depends on the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    I do. Her decreased genre-savviness, inner narration, and other small effects such as her gaudy platform heels all combine to present her as a less-experienced and mature version of the character, the likes of which was presented in New 52, pre-Valentine.
    Where would you say was her genre-savviness decreased (apart from the capability issue you mention below)?

They are leaning very much into the free-wheeling playful cat depiction of Selina, but she is serious when the situation demands it, and the way she deals with the mob bosses shows how long she's been working as Catwoman.

I don't think there is enough of a difference between these high heels to call the new ones gaudy.
    Attachment 118645

For the most part I'm okay with flexile capability as it relates to the tone of the story, but when Selina all-but-casually strolls up to a dangerous mobster she knows is trying to exact revenge on her, and is somehow surprised when she is shot...it feels like almost no thought was put into a sequence that was clearly just there to make her closer with the love-interest of the week. And then throw in that completely random Heart of Hush dream (nightmare?), and I feel like the last few pages really brought down an otherwise entertaining issue.
    I agree that she just strolled up on Noah was dumb - I found that page confusing in general - but otherwise she is doing well so far, which I can't say about a lot of other characters in their on-goings. She wasn't always smart when going up against Father Valley either.

I don't think Valmont is being set up as a love interest. Especially after that last page. Are they going to flirt? Sure.

The Hush scene was random but maybe there's a reason. I'm willing to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has the art ever been all that consistent whether she has heels in the current costume? It feels like it really just depends on the artist.
    It's been consistent as far as I know at least in her own title.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    It's fair to say people who have invested into the progression of the character over the past few years are most likely not happy. Her ties with the East End and Batman seem to be severed, and she has an edginess and immaturity to her that's reminiscent of Winick's run.

Other than that, the art is really good and there's a lot of action and sexuality that at least prevents it from ever becoming boring.
    I think this is a fair assessment. I think the art is uneven, but decent, and the sequence this week of Selina returning the weapons was drenched in noir atmosphere (though a ton of that is Jordie Bellaire's colors).

I really don't like how the plot seems to consistently rely on Catwoman's incompetence. As others have pointed out, Ram V did show Selina failing sometimes, but in two issues, Selina's literally been walked all over by Valmont, and that is annoying for a new character.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It's been consistent as far as I know at least in her own title.
    I've seen different depictions depending on the current artist.

Uhh.... So is this sequence, and the actor/director discussing their reactions to it, going to open a can of... cats?

https://www.avclub.com/zoe-kravitz-t...ual-1848606584
    One of life’s greatest truths is that Catwoman is bisexual. Long before it was canon in the comic books, Selina Kyle has oozed bisexuality. In fact, The Batman may be the most bisexual installment we’ve ever seen in the Batman universe. From the casting to the overall moodiness of this chapter—the film has a certain je ne sais quoi. To take it even further, Zoë Kravitz has explicitly brought this aspect to the big screen with her interpretation of the antiheroine with one little “baby.”

In the soon arriving The Batman, Kyle enters her apartment looking for her friend Anika, and calls her “baby.” While this could be read as platonic, Kravitz says she interprets that moment as hinting at a romantic relationship.

“That’s definitely the way I interpreted that, that they had some kind of romantic relationship,” Kravitz says in an interview with Pedestrian. When the interviewer then expresses joy at the idea of Kravitz’s Catwoman being bisexual, Kravitz exclaims, “I agree!”

In another interview for the outlet, director Matt Reeves agrees with Kravitz’s take on Kyle.
    At the risk of igniting a firestorm, how often was "mainstream DC Earth" Selina Kyle portrayed as being possibly bisexual? Not "head-canon" or "fan fiction", actual published comics?